BYU v SDSU Open Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CJF
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8497

    #226
    Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    The only complaint I had on that play is mj not coming back to the ball. It just seemed like he waited there for it to come to him, But that was live, I need to watch it.
    I agree. I think he thought he was so wide open he didn't need to go get it.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15665

      #227
      Holy smokes. Is that time of possession stat accurate? 45:15?
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • Non Sequitur
        Where did I put my bodkin
        • Nov 2008
        • 5773

        #228
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Holy smokes. Is that time of possession stat accurate? 45:15?
        What's more amazing is that with such a disparity, we only won by 3 points. Our defense was much better this week, but I'm not sure what to make of the fact that SDSU scored 3 TD's with only 15 total minutes of possession. Is that a cause of concern or just a statistical aberration?
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69697

          #229
          Well that was an interesting read.

          I would like to thank Hot Lunch for presenting such a passionate and convincing case that our first win in five tries is illegitimate and not worthy of celebration.

          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #230
            Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
            What's more amazing is that with such a disparity, we only won by 3 points. Our defense was much better this week, but I'm not sure what to make of the fact that SDSU scored 3 TD's with only 15 total minutes of possession. Is that a cause of concern or just a statistical aberration?
            I think we would have won by 17 if we would not have had those two turnovers. One should have been a TD, the other was on a good drive.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37983

              #231
              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              Ok, no lie--I had a dream a couple of nights ago where BYU won the game 21-7. I thought there was no way our D holds this team to 7 points so I ignored the burning in my bosom and brushed it all off, only telling my wife. If this D holds up, I'm moving to the bottom of that orthodoxy list. I'm all in!
              Whew!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37983

                #232
                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                Methinks Anae really isn't calling the plays. I have liked the playcalling today.
                Anae and Doman were both on the sidelines today. Who wass in the booth?
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37983

                  #233
                  Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                  You must not have watched thesame call I did. It was horrible. OC did a great job acting on that.
                  Chambers is our most accomplished thespian. After that play, I was immediately reminded of his acting job in the Utah game last year on the punt fair catch.
                  Dude is a salesman.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37983

                    #234
                    So who the hell is Marshall? I've never heard of him or seen him on the QB depth chart, and now he's running plays that Riley Nelson should have been running the whole time?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • USUC
                      Chronic Poseur
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 8792

                      #235
                      I missed the game (but guessed the score right). I can't find video highlights of this game anywhere. Stupid mtn.

                      Edit: found it on KSL
                      Last edited by USUC; 10-10-2010, 01:07 AM.

                      Comment

                      • Sizzle
                        #ThisIsY
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 9004

                        #236
                        Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                        I agree with the bolded portion, with emphasis on "at this stage". If we are still at this stage by the end of the season, and are still running the ball 80% of the time, I doubt that I will be as happy.
                        I will if we are winning games.

                        Comment

                        • Sizzle
                          #ThisIsY
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 9004

                          #237
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          So who the hell is Marshall? I've never heard of him or seen him on the QB depth chart, and now he's running plays that Riley Nelson should have been running the whole time?
                          He's a WR who I believe played a little QB in High School. That's why you've never seen him on the QB depth chart.

                          Comment

                          • Sizzle
                            #ThisIsY
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 9004

                            #238
                            Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            A few thoughts:

                            1. We saw a zone blitz (Bryson dropping in to coverage on the first 3rd down of the game and breaking up a pass) and a corner blitz in this game. I can not remember the last time this has happened at BYU.

                            2. This was the ultimate Eff You game for Robert Anae and Bronco. BYU was going to run the ball, SDSU knew they were going to run the ball and dared them to try and stop them. I think it is easier to run against the 3-3-5 because you are running against 5 DBs.

                            3. Bronco said the long run by Hillman (38 yards) was his mistake that he was outguessed by Borges and called the wrong defense. Other than that play and the 2 play drive for the first td. (Uale bit hard on the play fake). The defense was very stout.

                            4. Nickel, Nickel, Nickel. I loved it. Jray Galea'i and Uale would play safety and Rich would come up and cover the slot.

                            5. Heaps played a good game. Interesingly enough on the int he was throwing to Muehlman I believe and CJF is correct Holts route was too deep. However Holt was open on the play he could have thrown it to him. Great play by the DB.

                            6. Took one shot downfield all game, the drop By Jacobson.

                            7. Overall I loved the defense sprinting on to the field at the start of every series. What people do not understand is the pressure Bronco put on himself by firing Jaime. It would have been easier to go 2-10 this year and fire Jaime after the season, then he can take over and start fresh. But now he is taking over in the middle of the season and missing a few of his best defensive players putting a ton of pressure on himself to succeed. So far so good.

                            8. KVN was great most of the night. He did get lost in coverage a few times but a solid game. Also Ogletree was everywhere in coverage.

                            9. Vincent Browns one handed catch was sick.

                            10. Loved the intensity hopefully it will carry over throughout the season.

                            11. Marshalls throw on the fake punt was pretty impressive.
                            Agree with everything here. Ogletree was the defensive player of the game IMO. His pick early and hit on the last drive were probably the two biggest defensive plays of the game.

                            Also it was nice to see a screen pass to a back coming out of the backfield. We will need those next week to keep TCUs pass rush honest.

                            Finally, on point 2. This was huge. To me, running the ball is so much more about attitude than throwing it. Throwing you need timing and execution. Running you need to be bigger/stronger/have more desire than the guy lined up across from you. To me that was a message about Bronco saying we are going to be physical and have an attitude and if you want to beat us you'll have to stop us. That should win you 6 games in our conference.

                            Comment

                            • Clark Addison
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10306

                              #239
                              Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                              I will if we are winning games.
                              No doubt, but I don't think that we will be able to be as efficient running the ball against Utah as we were against SDSU, especially if everyone in the stadium knows a run is coming. If by that point in the season, we still don't have enough faith in our offense to expand the offense beyond where we are now, I think we will be in trouble. If I am wrong, and we are able to run our way through the rest of the schedule, I'll be happy.

                              Comment

                              • cougjunkie
                                *Banned*
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 23223

                                #240
                                Let me add one other thing. BYU had a ton of false starts last night. This was due to SDSU running that 3-3-5 and Jake being a freshman needing his line to get set and he needed to take extra time for his presnap reads. If you watch the game the lineman were not jumping early like they did not know the snapcount they were caught leaning. Its hard for those big lineman to stay in their stances for that long.

                                Also on third downs BYU was 12-19, and SDSU was 3-10 that might explain some of the TOP.
                                *Banned*

                                Comment

                                Working...