BYU vs Florida State thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #646
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    How can Bronco ever live down the two quarterback system? Even casual fans know that never works. This debacle was so predictable. The man is drunk with hubris. Now he's even decided to ride the Heaps horse, to make himself look doubly foolish.

    Bronco looks like a moron, and somebody should call him out. I know it's not in your all's nature to call out your leaders as incompetent, so I'll do it for you. He's only made matters worse by dissembling about who made these decisions that were so obviously stupid to EVERYONE.

    Look, I'm being serious. Players Bronco INHERITED include Beck, ("I hate Utah") Hall, Collie, Pitta, Unga. Good luck to him replacing them. He has been very fortunate. I'd like to see him duplicate these characters.

    I think he's been living on luck and borrowed time. And a big problem he's got is he decided to become a monstrously arrogant jerk before he built the credentials to back it up. I mean, even Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham are much nicer, more genuine people. I'm really enjoying watching his unmasking. Bronco is an empty suit.
    For some reason Bronco comes accross in the press different than he is in person. I am not going into details, but I have talked to enough players to know the guy is extremely personable and players respect and trust him. Even the ones that are non-members and that would be hard for me to believe based on how he comes across in the press. However, I have talked to them and they like, respect and trust him.

    Comment

    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
      Time to camp
      • Nov 2008
      • 26082

      #647
      I just finished watching the second half of the game and read the thread, there is no real reason for huge optimism but we have been 1-2 a couple times and it ended well. Let's not finish tying the noose just yet.

      I was convinced Beck would never be able to win a big game after Boston College 06, we were a horrible defense that couldn't stop a HS team after the 07 Tulsa debacle. I'm don't think this team is going to win 10 games, but I think we can still be an 8-9 win team.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

      Comment

      • Non Sequitur
        Where did I put my bodkin
        • Nov 2008
        • 5773

        #648
        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        I just finished watching the second half of the game and read the thread, there is no real reason for huge optimism but we have been 1-2 a couple times and it ended well. Let's not finish tying the noose just yet.

        I was convinced Beck would never be able to win a big game after Boston College 06, we were a horrible defense that couldn't stop a HS team after the 07 Tulsa debacle. I'm don't think this team is going to win 10 games, but I think we can still be an 8-9 win team.

        I'm not tying the noose. I saw that one drive at the end of the half and it gives me hope. We will be fine. Just not this year.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10450

          #649
          Originally posted by Maximus View Post
          Has he thrown accurately more than 10-15 yards?
          You need to go rewatch the Washington game. Also I officiated Nelson a couple of times in high school He could do it then so I'm sure he can do it now. We will never get to see it if there isn't time for the play to develop.

          Comment

          • Non Sequitur
            Where did I put my bodkin
            • Nov 2008
            • 5773

            #650
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            You need to go rewatch the Washington game. Also I officiated Nelson a couple of times in high school He could do it then so I'm sure he can do it now. We will never get to see it if there isn't time for the play to develop.
            There are lots of things that I used to be able to do that I can't do anymore. Which is precisely why I'm on the internet on a Saturday night.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69752

              #651
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Bronco looks like a moron, and somebody should call him out. I know it's not in your all's nature to call out your leaders as incompetent, so I'll do it for you. He's only made matters worse by dissembling about who made these decisions that were so obviously stupid to EVERYONE.
              lol. That's especially rich considering that you are the author of this little gem:

              I'm trained to defer to the specialists, which is why I never question Whit's choice of starting quarterback for example.
              http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...postcount=2656
              Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 09-18-2010, 11:22 PM.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Shaka
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 10450

                #652
                Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                Arguing with Shaka about Nelson is a lost cause, he knows a lot about football but he is not a neutral observer when it comes to the performance of Heaps and Nelson.
                Actually I'm far more neutral than you. I know about the game and I specifically know about that position. I knew Heaps was going to be a special player when I watched a few of his high school games. However I had a feeling he wasn't going to be a world beater as a freshman. He has the potential to be great. The rest is up to him.

                What I am is a fair observer. I can watch the AFA game and know what happened. While you and others were busy throwing Nelson under the bus I was watching what the line, backs, and receivers were doing. I also stated that I thought they should have let Heaps stay in the rotation at AFA. Unfortunately just like he was today he would have been a sitting duck.

                Santos touched on something that I've heard from other people I trust concerning football. Coming out of high school Heaps was more developed from a mechanical standpoint than a bunch of NFL QB's. He could also read high school defenses very well. He was so developed that the question of exactly how much growth he could reasonably achieve because he may already be close to his ceiling as a player. Realistically Heaps can grow in two categories: arm strength (something he has improved since high school) and his knowledge of the game particularly as it applies to quarterbacking. The arm strength will happen as he continues to work out and gets bigger. However all the mechanics in the world will not get Heaps to the top unless he continues to improve the mental side of the game. I think he will improve but the possibility exists that he easily grasped the high school game but doesn't have the brainpower to truly grasp the far more complex defenses he will see in college.

                Comment

                • Coastal Ute
                  Monkey Feelings
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 613

                  #653
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  Look, I'm being serious. Players Bronco INHERITED include Beck, ("I hate Utah") Hall, Collie, Pitta, Unga. Good luck to him replacing them. He has been very fortunate. I'd like to see him duplicate these characters.

                  I think he's been living on luck and borrowed time. And a big problem he's got is he decided to become a monstrously arrogant jerk before he built the credentials to back it up. I mean, even Urban Meyer and Kyle Whittingham are much nicer, more genuine people. I'm really enjoying watching his unmasking. Bronco is an empty suit.
                  I sincerely doubt that. The statistics speak for themselves- Bronco is a good coach. Overall record is 50-16. Pretty damn impressive. He did inherit some fantastic players, so It'll be interesting to see how he recruits as an independent. My guess is not very well.

                  I like Kyle Whittingham (puts on red goggles). I remember talking to one of "those" BYU fans (it's the lords university, how can you root against it?), and she couldn't think of a good way to explain her hatred for Kyle Whittingham. All she could say was that she hated him. Because. I'd be interested to hear some more logical BYU fans opinion on that- why do you hate Kyle? Can you reallllly think of a good reason? Really? From a (takes off red goggles) very objective standpoint, Bronco is much easier to dislike. Comes off very pompous IMO. I hear that from BYU fans too.

                  I was and am constantly in awe of Meyer's ability. Nicer? Genuine? Eh...I don't know about that. Not sure how I feel about Bronco's genuineness, but lately I've kind of thought of Meyer as an opportunistic prick. Let's face it- it's always been about Urban. This is not just based off the fact that he left Utah. It's just the way the guy operates. He seems kind of shady to me.
                  "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

                  "Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
                  -John Heisman

                  Comment

                  • USUC
                    Chronic Poseur
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 8806

                    #654
                    Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post
                    I sincerely doubt that. The statistics speak for themselves- Bronco is a good coach. Overall record is 50-16. Pretty damn impressive. He did inherit some fantastic players, so It'll be interesting to see how he recruits as an independent. My guess is not very well.

                    I like Kyle Whittingham (puts on red goggles). I remember talking to one of "those" BYU fans (it's the lords university, how can you root against it?), and she couldn't think of a good way to explain her hatred for Kyle Whittingham. All she could say was that she hated him. Because. I'd be interested to hear some more logical BYU fans opinion on that- why do you hate Kyle? Can you reallllly think of a good reason? Really? From a (takes off red goggles) very objective standpoint, Bronco is much easier to dislike. Comes off very pompous IMO. I hear that from BYU fans too.

                    I was and am constantly in awe of Meyer's ability. Nicer? Genuine? Eh...I don't know about that. Not sure how I feel about Bronco's genuineness, but lately I've kind of thought of Meyer as an opportunistic prick. Let's face it- it's always been about Urban. This is not just based off the fact that he left Utah. It's just the way the guy operates. He seems kind of shady to me.
                    All this genuine or not as genuine talk is useless. What does that even mean? I do have some issues with Bronco (getting his players up for big games, preserverance,arrogance, cream puff practices etc.). Urban is a total asshole, Whit is a pseudo asshole (ask Wyoming), and Bronco is a little arrogant and overestimates his teams ability. I wish he was an asshole.

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 38003

                      #655
                      Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post

                      I like Kyle Whittingham (puts on red goggles). I remember talking to one of "those" BYU fans (it's the lords university, how can you root against it?), and she couldn't think of a good way to explain her hatred for Kyle Whittingham. All she could say was that she hated him. Because. I'd be interested to hear some more logical BYU fans opinion on that- why do you hate Kyle? Can you reallllly think of a good reason? Really? From a (takes off red goggles) very objective standpoint, Bronco is much easier to dislike. Comes off very pompous IMO. I hear that from BYU fans too.
                      Onsides kick up big. All you've got is Bronco "seems" pompous?
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • cougjunkie
                        *Banned*
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 23223

                        #656
                        SU just a heads up Bronco recruited Harvey, Hall and Jorgensen.

                        Nice try though.
                        *Banned*

                        Comment

                        • LA Ute
                          Receiver of Memory
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19512

                          #657
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Onsides kick up big. All you've got is Bronco "seems" pompous?
                          Hmmm. If all you've got is one mistake (the onsides kick) that Kyle has admitted was a mistake and has not repeated, I'd say you haven't got much to go on either.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden


                          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                          Comment

                          • SeattleUte
                            Faith crisis consultant
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 20837

                            #658
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            lol. That's especially rich considering that you are the author of this little gem:

                            http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...postcount=2656
                            Precisely my point. This is the exception that makes the rule. This blunder is so crude anyone could see it. Like when a negligent surgeon amputates teh wrong limb. No need for experts to say that was malpractice. Bronco has committe coaching malpractice.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                            --Jonathan Swift

                            Comment

                            • Commando
                              Explosivo
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 20748

                              #659
                              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              Hmmm. If all you've got is one mistake (the onsides kick) that Kyle has admitted was a mistake and has not repeated, I'd say you haven't got much to go on either.
                              no. In the after-game presser, Kyle was spouting about how you've got to be held accountable. Straight up asshole move that I don't think many coaches, let alone Bronco of all people, would ever make. sorry- Kyle's a bully and an asshole.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                              Comment

                              • Commando
                                Explosivo
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 20748

                                #660
                                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                SU just a heads up Bronco recruited Harvey, Hall and Jorgensen.

                                Nice try though.
                                Not to mention HEAPS, Apo, Stout, Reynolds, DiLuigi, Pendleton, Rich, Bradley, Logan AUSTIN HOLT, Justin Sorensen, Craig Bills, etc. etc. etc. yeah borrowed time. Maybe stfu until you play Air Force or another real team so we can see whose sky is falling.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                                Comment

                                Working...