Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

That is a very funny article.

I guarantee you this, aggy may whine but if the SEC tells them to sit down and shut up, it will be a unanimous vote.
    I wonder if Aggie has the option to abstain when voting. Technically, I guess that vote would still be unanimous. So as a Longhorn fan, what is your take on Texas' prospects in the SEC?

Here is what has me thinking:
    Arkansas leaves SWC for SEC. Longhorn response: Arkansas will not be relevant in SEC. And Longhorns are right.
    Nebraska leaves Big 12 for Big 10. Longhorn response: Nebraska will not be relevant in the Big 10. Longhorns are right.
    A&M leaves Big 12 for SEC. Longhorn response: Aggies will not be relevant in the SEC. Longhorns are mostly right.
    Texas leaves Big 12 for SEC. ???

New SEC West could very well be: OU, Texas, A&M, LSU. That is 3 tough games every year for the Longhorns and Arkansas and Ole Miss can be competitive every few years. Add to that, SEC East games with probably at least two of the following: Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee. That is at least 5 games a season against very good programs. Throw in a good Arkansas, Kentucky, or non-conference foe and that is half of a schedule against teams that have good odds of beating the Longhorns. Very different than the old SWC or Big 12. As talented as the Longhorns generally are, they could be on the road to irrelevancy (hello, Nebraska) with that SEC schedule.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Should the thread name be changed to "The Big 12 contraction groundswell"?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Lol.

As I have said before, you have a pathological craving for validation and to convince others that you are right about everything. I wonder why?
        SeattleUte certainly has been right in regards to BYU’s exclusion from conferences. Has The Oracle been wrong on anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
          I wonder if Aggie has the option to abstain when voting. Technically, I guess that vote would still be unanimous. So as a Longhorn fan, what is your take on Texas' prospects in the SEC?

Arkansas leaves SWC for SEC. Longhorn response: Arkansas will not be relevant in SEC. And Longhorns are right.
          Nebraska leaves Big 12 for Big 10. Longhorn response: Nebraska will not be relevant in the Big 10. Longhorns are right.
          A&M leaves Big 12 for SEC. Longhorn response: Aggies will not be relevant in the SEC. Longhorns are mostly right.

New SEC West could very well be: OU, Texas, A&M, LSU. That is 3 tough games every year for the Longhorns and Arkansas and Ole Miss can be competitive every few years. Add to that, SEC East games with probably at least two of the following: Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee. That is at least 5 games a season against very good programs. Throw in a good Arkansas, Kentucky, or non-conference foe and that is half of a schedule against teams that have good odds of beating the Longhorns. Very different than the old SWC or Big 12. As talented as the Longhorns generally are, they could be on the road to irrelevancy (hello, Nebraska) with that SEC schedule.
          If the SEC goes to 16 teams I could see them adopting the 4-team pod model, where members of a pod would play each other and then two games against each of the other pods:

Pod 1: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina
          Pod 2: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy
          Pod 3: LSU, Miss St, Ole Miss, Missouri
          Pod 4: Arkansas, OU, Texas, Texas A&M

Yeah, Pod 4 would bring back the old Southwest Conference of the 1960s where Arkansas and UT would be the powerhouses.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

If the SEC goes to 16 teams I could see them adopting the 4-team pod model, where members of a pod would play each other and then two games against each of the other pods:

Pod 1: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina
            Pod 2: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy
            Pod 3: LSU, Miss St, Ole Miss, Missouri
            Pod 4: Arkansas, OU, Texas, Texas A&M

Yeah, Pod 4 would bring back the old Southwest Conference of the 1960s where Arkansas and UT would be the powerhouses.
            Four P4 conferences of 16 teams each makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry “Moose” Stubing View Post

Four P4 conferences of 16 teams each makes a lot of sense.
              Yes, unless BYU is left out.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Smoke!

https://mobile.twitter.com/bdavisaas...79386499981314
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

On balance, I like the idea. I hope it works out.

I am more bullish on Texas's future than you. I don't mind the odds.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Yes, unless BYU is left out.
                    How’s that going to work? Big 10 only needs two teams, they take Kansas/Kansas St. PAC 12 needs four…they take Houston, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St and Iowa St. They don’t take religious schools.

Comment

How’s that going to work? Big 10 only needs two teams, they take Kansas/Kansas St. PAC 12 needs four…they take Houston, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St and Iowa St. They don’t take religious schools.
                      He is joking, you dummy.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Oh aggy.

Comment

The whole reason Nebraska approached the Big 10 was precisely what may be unfolding now.

Comment

He is joking, you dummy.
                            I actually think the dummies' scenario is highly plausible. Why? Because there is precedent.

The PAC added two non-marque teams in Utah and Colorado and ended up diluting the conference as a result. They opened the door to California recruits to two schools with minuscule fan bases and no national following. The result was the net weakening of all teams across the conference hastening its slide into irrelevancy.

There is nothing to suggest history won't repeat itself.

Comment

SeattleUte certainly has been right in regards to BYU’s exclusion from conferences. Has The Oracle been wrong on anything?
                              There's even a name now for what I've been trying to get through to people for 20 plus years--cancelled.
                              Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-23-2021, 10:10 AM.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

There's even a name now for what I've been trying to get through to people for 20 plus yeas--cancelled.
                                Prophetic, indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X