The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    …and then there were four. We all knew this was coming. Either the P12 or the Big12 were going down. Now we know which one it is. LOL at aTm for taking exception. They’re going to back to playing third fiddle for recruits if this thing has legs.
    aTm: “The SEC is all mine in Texas… go away!” LOL@aggie
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
      I look forward to all of the people that were in the P5 club, that were okay with the Power 5 Establishment, all of the sudden finding themselves on the outside of the P5 (without the P5 paycheck) and having a problem with exclusion.
      Would love to see Iowa State wither and die.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
        It appears the Big 12 is doomed and with it BYU's shot at a P5 invitation. It'll be wonderful to see the PAC-12 add OK ST, K State, ISU, and TT.
        Haha. Not likely.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

They've been really good with the new coach that they hired.

Whatever happens, I foresee BYU being left on the outside and people will decry religious discrimination. In reality...we aren't that easy to work with, and not just athletics. Optics matter very much to BYU.

Football and Basketball are easy. (Except for Conference Tournament in BBall.) Outside of that, none of our sports would work in a current P5 conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

They've been really good with the new coach that they hired.

Whatever happens, I foresee BYU being left on the outside and people will decry religious discrimination. In reality...we aren't that easy to work with, and not just athletics. Optics matter very much to BYU.

Football and Basketball are easy. (Except for Conference Tournament in BBall.) Outside of that, none of our sports would work in a current P5 conference.
            How are we "not easy to work with"?

Comment

Yup. They are the poster child for undeserving schools riding the coattails of conference brethren.

Comment

How are we "not easy to work with"?
                - No Sunday play
                - Demands for rebroadcast, Tier 3 rights, etc.

At least those two are all on BYU; however, in some cases the "BYU is not easy to work with" sentiment is little more than cloaked bigotry.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

- No Sunday play
                  - Demands for rebroadcast, Tier 3 rights, etc.

At least those two are all on BYU; however, in some cases the "BYU is not easy to work with" sentiment is little more than cloaked bigotry.
                  I was curious about the “and not just athletics” part.

Comment

• Already hearing some moaning and complaining from my aTm friends. They were the quintessential little brothers when they were in the Big12 and they haven’t gotten over it. They were so happy to be in a conference separate from Texas as they was all they need for validation but now that validation may be gone so their insecurity is coming back to the surface. It’s funny but sad.

i also work with a lot of TTech fans and they seem to think they’ll get snatched up somewhere but they have no idea where. But honestly, I think they’d be happy staying in a reduced Big12 and thus having a chance at a conference championship once in a while.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      Already hearing some moaning and complaining from my aTm friends. They were the quintessential little brothers when they were in the Big12 and they haven’t gotten over it. They were so happy to be in a conference separate from Texas as they was all they need for validation but now that validation may be gone so their insecurity is coming back to the surface. It’s funny but sad.

i also work with a lot of TTech fans and they seem to think they’ll get snatched up somewhere but they have no idea where. But honestly, I think they’d be happy staying in a reduced Big12 and thus having a chance at a conference championship once in a while.
                      I'm hearing a slightly different tune from my Aggie network. Most Aggies will welcome back the UT-A&M rivalry. The main drawback is to potential recruiting since A&M has been able to pitch to Texas recruits that they can remain in Texas and play in arguably the best division in football-SEC West. Once the Longhorns join the SEC West, that will no longer be the case. From a competitive standpoint, the SEC West will still be brutal with OU and UT replacing Bama and Auburn who would probably move to the SEC East. However, you are correct to point out there is still some "little brother" sentiment because the Aggies were "special" being the only Texas school able to play in the SEC and that will be gone.

Tech and the remnants of the Big12 will be in trouble and the conference will most likely fold. The teams that left the old SWC and Big 12 would make the core of a decent conference: Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M.

As far a BYU and the Big 12, Cougars are better off remaining independent. Which I find sad. In one of clackamascoug's alternate realities, Colorado signals they will join the PAC-10, BIG 12 leadership is proactive and invites BYU to join. Texas decides not to flirt with the PAC-10 and reassures Nebraska they will remain in the Big 12. Notre Dame joins the Big 10 - that conferences first choice. The PAC-12, Big 12, SEC, Big 10, and ACC agree to stand pat at 12 teams. And everyone goes to bed happy.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• As a Texas fan, not sure how I feel about this. But holy cow, what a conference that would be.

Comment

As a Texas fan, not sure how I feel about this. But holy cow, what a conference that would be.
                          I think having it so UT and aTm play each other every year again would be great. The winner of the SEC conference would pretty much be the national champion. They wouldn't even need that 12 team playoff thing they are talking about.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

As far a BYU and the Big 12, Cougars are better off remaining independent. Which I find sad.
                            Why?

I think BYU is likely better served in a conference. I don't know that it is little more than rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic unless that conference has BCS benefits, and I have no clue what a Humpty-dumpty pieces put back together Big-12 would provide for BYU should they be fortunate to be invited and accept, but I would prefer BYU in a conference with midwestern schools to the current Independent/WCC arrangement. I mean who wants to go to basketball games in February in Malibu when you can go to Ames or the little Apple?!
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

I'm hearing a slightly different tune from my Aggie network. Most Aggies will welcome back the UT-A&M rivalry. The main drawback is to potential recruiting since A&M has been able to pitch to Texas recruits that they can remain in Texas and play in arguably the best division in football-SEC West. Once the Longhorns join the SEC West, that will no longer be the case. From a competitive standpoint, the SEC West will still be brutal with OU and UT replacing Bama and Auburn who would probably move to the SEC East. However, you are correct to point out there is still some "little brother" sentiment because the Aggies were "special" being the only Texas school able to play in the SEC and that will be gone.

Tech and the remnants of the Big12 will be in trouble and the conference will most likely fold. The teams that left the old SWC and Big 12 would make the core of a decent conference: Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M.

As far a BYU and the Big 12, Cougars are better off remaining independent. Which I find sad. In one of clackamascoug's alternate realities, Colorado signals they will join the PAC-10, BIG 12 leadership is proactive and invites BYU to join. Texas decides not to flirt with the PAC-10 and reassures Nebraska they will remain in the Big 12. Notre Dame joins the Big 10 - that conferences first choice. The PAC-12, Big 12, SEC, Big 10, and ACC agree to stand pat at 12 teams. And everyone goes to bed happy.
                              The Big 12 could maybe survive... It would be sad to see Baylor (didn't their men's basketball team do pretty well last year or something) and TCU (think baseball) scramble to find some conference to join. Kansas is usually a good basketball school as well. It would look definitely different and they would need to add some more (good) schools, like four or more to replace UT and OU. There are these rumblings that Nebraska wants to come back so there's one of the four.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

The Big 12 could maybe survive... It would be sad to see Baylor (didn't their men's basketball team do pretty well last year or something) and TCU (think baseball) scramble to find some conference to join. Kansas is usually a good basketball school as well. It would look definitely different and they would need to add some more (good) schools, like four or more to replace UT and OU. There are these rumblings that Nebraska wants to come back so there's one of the four.
                                No way in hell Nebraska comes back to a decimated B12.

Comment

Working...
                                X