No announcement yet.

The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $72 million in total revenue with a $5 million TV contract? I called BS on that number.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post

No, I don't think BYU would have an easier to the playoff in the AAC than as an indy. There are 3 teams in the league that have consistently outperformed BYU over the past decade. BYU would occasionally win the conference. I'd much rather play better teams during the season than play an AAC schedule and then still not win the conference.
      As an independent, even if BYU was ranked in the top 5, they would not get a bye in the first round of the 12 team playoff. BYU would have a much harder time getting into the playoff in the Big 12 but it might be good if BYU was challenged every year. It would be wise for the Big 12 to invite BYU and Notre Dame to have the Mormons, Baptists, Catholics, and whatever those guys at TCU are all in the same conference. It would be a good hedge by the Big 12 to make sure God was on their side. I guess they could also invite the Methodists (SMU) too if they lack faith.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

$5 mill is about what this article figured BYU’s tv and radio revenue was as derived from squinting at a cougar club mailer from 2016.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lawless...act-money/amp/
        I don’t know where the numbers come from; I thought people were saying around $1 million per game (televised) from espn.

So no one knows what byu is making from espn?

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post

I don’t know where the numbers come from; I thought people were saying around $1 million per game (televised) from espn.

So no one knows what byu is making from espn?
          That could be right, I don't know. The amounts I remember hearing for the first ESPN contract in independence were $800k - $1.2 million per game, depending on which network aired the game. Of course, BYU entered into a new contract around the same time as the AAC's new contract. It would not be particularly surprising if BYU's contracted amounts increased by a percentage similar to the AAC's increase. Keep in mind that BYU's inventory of opponents is also typically better than the games the AAC plays.

Even if the $1 million per home football game were correct, $5 million per season would be an understatement since it would exclude whatever BYU makes from their WCC media contract.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            That could be right, I don't know. The amounts I remember hearing for the first ESPN contract in independence were $800k - $1.2 million per game, depending on which network aired the game. Of course, BYU entered into a new contract around the same time as the AAC's new contract. It would not be particularly surprising if BYU's contracted amounts increased by a percentage similar to the AAC's increase. Keep in mind that BYU's inventory of opponents is also typically better than the games the AAC plays.

Even if the $1 million per home football game were correct, $5 million per season would be an understatement since it would exclude whatever BYU makes from their WCC media contract.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Yes, that makes sense re: a new contract having increased rates in line with the AAC.

I'm totally out of my depth in this discussion of Cougar$$$, but how much does BYU get from the WCC? There is more content (games) in basketball, but far lower revenue than football. I imagine that the money for all the non-football and basketball sports is ~ $0.00.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

If playoff access were the only issue joining would make sense. It’s not and it doesn’t.
              What are the other considerations?

Under the old scenario, as I understood it, I thought BYU as either and independent or as a member of the AAC or MWC would have had to have been in the top 8 of the BCS rankings to get a bid. Perhaps if they were in the MWC and/or the AAC a top 8 ranking guaranteed it and as an independent BYU would have had no guarantee. However, it was my opinion that if BYU had a top 8 BCS ranking they would get a BCS bowl bid so I essentially thought access was equal.

Now access is significantly increased by a conference affiliation. They just have to be in the top 6 of a ranking that only includes conference champs.

I also began to believe that joining a conference would force BYU's hand wrt scheduling. I am in the camp who believes scheduling 6-7 BCS programs per year is over scheduling. At least if you want top 25 rankings and that type of publicity- which I think BYU can achieve 3-5 years a decade with more reasonable scheduling. BYU does not have the same resources as BCS programs. If BYU were to join a conference and that conference took up 8-9 of the 12 games then BYU could only schedule 3-4 BCS teams. However, in looking at future schedules it appears to me that BYU is heading towards 4 as a happy number of BCS programs it is scheduling each year so that concerns seems to be taking care of itself.

I think this past year was the best BYU team since 2014 but the schedule was too watered down for us to really know. I think last year's BYU squad would have gone at least .500 in BCS games and had they scheduled 4 that likely would have been a 9-3 or 10-2 team that would have earned a top 20, perhaps top 15, ranking. Good year for BYU givens its resources. I think it also makes it clear, IMO, of the benefits of future schedules limiting BCS teams to 4/year.

I believe I am in favor of BYU strongly considering joining a conference.

But I am interested in what other considerations would provide reason to not join a conference.

As an edit- I am getting pretty bully on Sitake. I think he has weathered the independence era and the rise of Utah football pretty well- which obviously the genesis of both preceded him but they are large factors in the BYU college football landscape that honestly Sitake has dealt with better than I thought he would when he was hired as the HC. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself with the results from this year being embellished due to crappy competition, but I think he has increased the talent in the program. I am not sure how he is doing it as the recruiting rankings seem similar but this staff seems to have a good eye for talent and let it be less recruited or even walk on type players I think he has more depth and collective athleticism in the program than has been there since Bronco's first few years when he feasted on Crowton's good recruiting. I don't know where the landscape is going but I am not one of those who believes BYU blew anything with the Big 12. I think the folks speaking up for BYU sports to the decision makers are as good and dialed in right now as we could hope for. I think BYU will move forward in a changing and seemingly unpredictable landscape with good leadership and will land in the best spots it can get for itself.
              Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 06-14-2021, 09:44 AM.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

What are the other considerations?

Under the old scenario, as I understood it, I thought BYU as either and independent or as a member of the AAC or MWC would have had to have been in the top 8 of the BCS rankings to get a bid. Perhaps if they were in the MWC and/or the AAC a top 8 ranking guaranteed it and as an independent BYU would have had no guarantee. However, it was my opinion that if BYU had a top 8 BCS ranking they would get a BCS bowl bid so I essentially thought access was equal.

Now access is significantly increased by a conference affiliation. They just have to be in the top 6 of a ranking that only includes conference champs.

I also began to believe that joining a conference would force BYU's hand wrt scheduling. I am in the camp who believes scheduling 6-7 BCS programs per year is over scheduling. At least if you want top 25 rankings and that type of publicity- which I think BYU can achieve 3-5 years a decade with more reasonable scheduling. BYU does not have the same resources as BCS programs. If BYU were to join a conference and that conference took up 8-9 of the 12 games then BYU could only schedule 3-4 BCS teams. However, in looking at future schedules it appears to me that BYU is heading towards 4 as a happy number of BCS programs it is scheduling each year so that concerns seems to be taking care of itself.

I think this past year was the best BYU team since 2014 but the schedule was too watered down for us to really know. I think last year's BYU squad would have gone at least .500 in BCS games and had they scheduled 4 that likely would have been a 9-3 or 10-2 team that would have earned a top 20, perhaps top 15, ranking. Good year for BYU givens its resources. I think it also makes it clear, IMO, of the benefits of future schedules limiting BCS teams to 4/year.

I believe I am in favor of BYU strongly considering joining a conference.

But I am interested in what other considerations would provide reason to not join a conference.

As an edit- I am getting pretty bully on Sitake. I think he has weathered the independence era and the rise of Utah football pretty well- which obviously the genesis of both preceded him but they are large factors in the BYU college football landscape that honestly Sitake has dealt with better than I thought he would when he was hired as the HC. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself with the results from this year being embellished due to crappy competition, but I think he has increased the talent in the program. I am not sure how he is doing it as the recruiting rankings seem similar but this staff seems to have a good eye for talent and let it be less recruited or even walk on type players I think he has more depth and collective athleticism in the program than has been there since Bronco's first few years when he feasted on Crowton's good recruiting. I don't know where the landscape is going but I am not one of those who believes BYU blew anything with the Big 12. I think the folks speaking up for BYU sports to the decision makers are as good and dialed in right now as we could hope for. I think BYU will move forward in a changing and seemingly unpredictable landscape with good leadership and will land in the best spots it can get for itself.
                Other considerations (not necessarily ranked):
                1. Exposure - The TV situation in the old MWC with the MTN network (remember the good old days of "call your cable provider and ask them to carry The MTN") stung BYU and stung them badly. One of the things BYU loves about their ESPN contract is the right to replay old games originally televised by ESPN. You can go out on BYUtv right now and stream pretty much the entire catalog of ESPN games.
                2. Money - If we assume the numbers thrown around in this thread are true, BYU's money situation in independence is better than the MWC and likely better than the AAC if you include the WCC contract and what BYU makes off the Tier 3 stuff. For example, it costs BYU next to nothing to air, say, sold-out women's soccer matches or volleyball matches on BYUTV and they have advertisers that are paying them directly - no middleman.
                3. Collaboration/flexibility with peers - The anti-Church hate also stings BYU and their sponsoring institution even though they are unlikely to publicly admit it and instead generally try to maintain a stiff upper lip. The bitterness of old conference foes and accusations/complaints against BYU, the no-Sunday play complications, and other vitriol historically thrown at BYU by conference "partners" make BYU much more cautious about entering into a long-term conference agreement. Considering the fact that most lower-tier conferences would generate more money with BYU than without BYU, the BYU admin don't take it kindly when their conference partners shit on them. BYU admin like being in the WCC and highly value partners that are willing to be flexible and accommodate BYU's unique circumstances.

The only way BYU joins a conference is if the exposure and money and collaboration considerations are balanced correctly. In other words, BYU would not join a conference even if the money was better but the exposure was no good and the conference partners were not flexible.

CFP access is essentially a non-factor. One could argue that getting an easier path to a football playoff would give BYU more exposure but that's a long-shot. BYU doesn't really do long shots. BYU isn't trying to hit a homer every time at bat; rather, they would much prefer to get steady base hits with each at bat instead of swinging for the fences. So hypothetical arguments about what could happen if BYU did join a conference and had one perfect year in football and made the playoffs and actually competed for a Natty - those hypotheticals just don't carry that much weight to an organization like BYU.

If BYU got invited to a top-tier conference where the money was significant enough to offset any exposure woes and their conference partners didn't shit on them, then they would join. Anyone that thinks BYU would bind themselves to a conference situation with exposure problems, equal-or-only-slightly better money than independence, and uncooperative conference partners for only the sniff of a hope of a chance at making the playoffs is smoking crack and doesn't understand the nature of BYU as an institution or their sponsors.
                Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 06-14-2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  BYU admin like being in the MWC and highly value partners that are willing to be flexible and accommodate BYU's unique circumstances.
                  Did you mean the WCC?
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I’m interested to see how he does post Grimes. As a Hc, Sitake was pretty terrible when Detmer was his OC and our O line was awful. He looked pretty good when Grimes was OC and our O line was top notch.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Did you mean the WCC?
                      Yes, sorry - freudian slip. I edited it to fix.

Comment

• It appears the Big 12 is doomed and with it BYU's shot at a P5 invitation. It'll be wonderful to see the PAC-12 add OK ST, K State, ISU, and TT.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                          It appears the Big 12 is doomed and with it BYU's shot at a P5 invitation. It'll be wonderful to see the PAC-12 add OK ST, K State, ISU, and TT.
                          Crazy. It'll be interesting where things go from there. TV contracts are expiring soon as well.

Comment

• I look forward to all of the people that were in the P5 club, that were okay with the Power 5 Establishment, all of the sudden finding themselves on the outside of the P5 (without the P5 paycheck) and having a problem with exclusion.

Comment

• …and then there were four. We all knew this was coming. Either the P12 or the Big12 were going down. Now we know which one it is. LOL at aTm for taking exception. They’re going to back to playing third fiddle for recruits if this thing has legs.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Hey, maybe BYU and TCU could be powerhouse buddies again in the new Big 12!
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X