The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I’ve got to say, I’m proud of everyone for not rushing to judgment on the most recent “BYU is a lock for Big12” rumors being generated by a BYU fan posing as a journalist. You’ve learnt.
    It helps that I rarely go to cb anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I’ve got to say, I’m proud of everyone for not rushing to judgment on the most recent “BYU is a lock for Big12” rumors being generated by a BYU fan posing as a journalist. You’ve learnt.
      I think it is easy to address expansion rumors and if there is truth to BYU getting into a P5 conference.

Ask yourself the question: "Does BYU/the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints still have policies that discriminate against LGBTQ people?"

If the answer is yes, BYU will not be joining a P5 conference any time soon.
      If the answer is no, BYU will soon be in a P5 conference.

SJBH.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I actually did rush to judgment.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

'cause we been burnt.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Apparently a 12 team playoff is a certainty now? If it's true that the top ranked conference champions, regardless if they are G5 or P5, get an autobid, the era of conference expansion is over. Why would any conference add more teams if they don't need to. I'm fine with independent status under this new system, but without P5 money BYU is still at an extreme disadvantage.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
              Apparently a 12 team playoff is a certainty now? If it's true that the top ranked conference champions, regardless if they are G5 or P5, get an autobid, the era of conference expansion is over. Why would any conference add more teams if they don't need to. I'm fine with independent status under this new system, but without P5 money BYU is still at an extreme disadvantage.
              I think joining the AAC is starting to make some sense under this scenario. They are clearly in the top six conferences (sometimes maybe even fifth when the PAC is down) so if you win the conference you get in. Plus, the AAC will almost always have a team in the playoff so the money will be better. Under this scenario, I hope BYU takes a hard look at joining a conference.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I think joining the AAC is starting to make some sense under this scenario. They are clearly in the top six conferences (sometimes maybe even fifth when the PAC is down) so if you win the conference you get in. Plus, the AAC will almost always have a team in the playoff so the money will be better. Under this scenario, I hope BYU takes a hard look at joining a conference.

Unless the money is significantly better, I like the indy schedules better than an AAC schedule (assuming we can still put together the indy schedules we have been).
                Last edited by USUC; 06-13-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                  Unless the money is significantly better, I like the insy schedules better than an AAC schedule (assuming we can still put together the indy schedules we have been).
                  I like the Indy schedules better as well, especially since it brings a lot of games to Texas. But I just think winning the AAC is easier than getting a bid as an Indy, especially as a BYU Indy which is vastly different than being a notre dame Indy. I’d also like a regular game in Houston as well and games at SMU and Tulane work for me as they are an easy drive

Comment

I like the Indy schedules better as well, especially since it brings a lot of games to Texas. But I just think winning the AAC is easier than getting a bid as an Indy, especially as a BYU Indy which is vastly different than being a notre dame Indy. I’d also like a regular game in Houston as well and games at SMU and Tulane work for me as they are an easy drive

If playoff access were the only issue joining would make sense. It’s not and it doesn’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

If playoff access were the only issue joining would make sense. It’s not and it doesn’t.
                      Agreed.

I've been pointing this out for the duration of independence, but many BYU fans simply don't want to accept the fact that playoff access is not the only variable in play nor is it even the most important variable in play at the level of BYU athletics, the school itself, or its sponsoring institution.

Comment

I wouldn’t mind BYU being in the Big 12 but only if they invite ND too. If they won’t invite ND then no deal. The advantage of BYU being in the AAC is it would give them an easy path to this 12 team playoff every year, however. So the AAC would be cool but I wonder if the money would be anything close to what the cougars are getting as an independent.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

I wouldn’t mind BYU being in the Big 12 but only if they invite ND too. If they won’t invite ND then no deal. The advantage of BYU being in the AAC is it would give them an easy path to this 12 team playoff every year, however. So the AAC would be cool but I wonder if the money would be anything close to what the cougars are getting as an independent.

No, I don't think BYU would have an easier to the playoff in the AAC than as an indy. There are 3 teams in the league that have consistently outperformed BYU over the past decade. BYU would occasionally win the conference. I'd much rather play better teams during the season than play an AAC schedule and then still not win the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

All the numbers I’ve suggest that the aac teams receive a lot more than byu gets from independence. Around $7 million per team in the aac vs. under $5 million for byu. Am I wrong on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post

All the numbers I’ve suggest that the aac teams receive a lot more than byu gets from independence. Around $7 million per team in the aac vs. under $5 million for byu. Am I wrong on this?
                              As is typically the case, the AAC's 12-year contract escalates over time such that the average ends up being nearly $7 million per team, but the early years of the contract are closer to $6 million per team (with the later years closer to $8 million).

BYU's contract is not public information. I've seen some estimates based on their filings with the Department of Education, but never anything concrete.

Where are you getting the $5 million amount for BYU's new contract?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

As is typically the case, the AAC's 12-year contract escalates over time such that the average ends up being nearly $7 million per team, but the early years of the contract are closer to $6 million per team (with the later years closer to $8 million).

BYU's contract is not public information. I've seen some estimates based on their filings with the Department of Education, but never anything concrete.

Where are you getting the $5 million amount for BYU's new contract?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

$5 mill is about what this article figured BYU’s tv and radio revenue was as derived from squinting at a cougar club mailer from 2016.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lawless...act-money/amp/

Comment

Working...
                                X