Originally posted by Babs
View Post
The PAC 10 expansion groundswell
Collapse
X
-
Yes, it has been quite stunning. Then again, I have long suspected that utes are commies."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
-
You've misunderstood. We have grown, the way conservative Supreme Court justices do.Originally posted by Babs View PostAmazing how all the Utes on the board have swung so far left all the sudden, in't it? From each according to his ability...“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
It goes without saying that if you have eight home games scheduled, you've got a FCS team in there. I would never expect to play 8 home games with no FCS teams attached.Originally posted by Hot Lunch View PostThis isn't happening. Maybe 7 on some years but they are going to be getting 8 homes game. Well they could if they are scheduling teams like Weber St. for those four games. Even Texas returns trips to Wyoming and Rice.
Funny thing about Utah and home games -- only once has Utah ever had more than 6 home games in a season, and that was in 1995, when it had 7. And that was in an 11-game regular season. So getting 8 home games isn't out of the question at all.
7 home games should begin to happen fairly regularly at Utah now.
Also, Texas only returned a trip to Wyoming because the Cowboys stepped up and really helped Texas out when the 'Horns had a scheduling conflict of their own.
Comment
-
It would take more than just one FCS game. Utah isn't going to get 8 home games. I wouldn't even expect it. I looked at schedules for Florida, Bama, Oklahoma, SC, Texas and they only have 7 home games this season. I understand that every once in awhile they get 8 home games but they are who they are and Utah is not at that level. Those schools pay a lot of money to teams to come in every year. Utah doesn't have that money. Utah isn't going to get 8 home games in a season.Originally posted by Top Ute View PostIt goes without saying that if you have eight home games scheduled, you've got a FCS team in there. I would never expect to play 8 home games with no FCS teams attached.
Funny thing about Utah and home games -- only once has Utah ever had more than 6 home games in a season, and that was in 1995, when it had 7. And that was in an 11-game regular season. So getting 8 home games isn't out of the question at all.
7 home games should begin to happen fairly regularly at Utah now.
Also, Texas only returned a trip to Wyoming because the Cowboys stepped up and really helped Texas out when the 'Horns had a scheduling conflict of their own."Take it to the Bank"
Comment
-
Frankly, I'm not as concerned about the TV revenue... yet. We don't have the fan bases to demand top dollar. I'll be thrilled with a) the schedule upgrade, and b) away games being on something besides the Mtn.Originally posted by LA Ute View PostYou've misunderstood. We have grown, the way conservative Supreme Court justices do.
Besides, at $1m, anything we get will be an upgrade from the Mtn.
U-UteLast edited by U-Ute; 07-18-2010, 07:35 PM.
Comment
-
Not enough money to be made in a 45K stadium. Even if the stadium is expanded to 60k it isn't enough money. The teams you mention are selling out 80k+ stadiums against North Dakota State, which gives them the leverage to do this. Oh well, you already know this so enough with rational thought, how about 9 home games a year?!Originally posted by Hot Lunch View PostIt would take more than just one FCS game. Utah isn't going to get 8 home games. I wouldn't even expect it. I looked at schedules for Florida, Bama, Oklahoma, SC, Texas and they only have 7 home games this season. I understand that every once in awhile they get 8 home games but they are who they are and Utah is not at that level. Those schools pay a lot of money to teams to come in every year. Utah doesn't have that money. Utah isn't going to get 8 home games in a season.
Comment
-
I am surprised Utah is not in a position to play every game at home. I mean they are the highest profile team in all of college sports and I am surprised teams are not willing to pay them just for the opportunity to play at Rice-Eccles.Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View PostNot enough money to be made in a 45K stadium. Even if the stadium is expanded to 60k it isn't enough money. The teams you mention are selling out 80k+ stadiums against North Dakota State, which gives them the leverage to do this. Oh well, you already know this so enough with rational thought, how about 9 home games a year?!*Banned*
Comment
-
Three of those schools you mentioned take a hit in home scheduling because they have a neutral site game every year. Florida, Oklahoma and Texas could NEVER get 8 true home games in a season. But if Arizona State, Louisville and Oklahoma State can schedule 8 home games in a season (as each has on one occasion in the last three years), so can Utah.Originally posted by Hot Lunch View PostIt would take more than just one FCS game. Utah isn't going to get 8 home games. I wouldn't even expect it. I looked at schedules for Florida, Bama, Oklahoma, SC, Texas and they only have 7 home games this season. I understand that every once in awhile they get 8 home games but they are who they are and Utah is not at that level. Those schools pay a lot of money to teams to come in every year. Utah doesn't have that money. Utah isn't going to get 8 home games in a season.
It will be rare, but I wouldn't bet against it never happening. Probably the biggest obstacle to it happening is how we schedule USU and BYU in the future -- if you can get both at home every other year, 8 home games is definitely doable in an 8-game conference schedule.
At the very least, seven home games should be the rule.
Comment
-
T. Boone Pickens capacity: 60,218Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View PostNot enough money to be made in a 45K stadium. Even if the stadium is expanded to 60k it isn't enough money. The teams you mention are selling out 80k+ stadiums against North Dakota State, which gives them the leverage to do this. Oh well, you already know this so enough with rational thought, how about 9 home games a year?!
Papa John's Stadium capacity (circa 2008 when it scheduled 8 home games): 42,000
Find another argument.
Comment
-
Who was the idiot reporter that asked Holmoe last week if BYU would accept a 2-1 with Utah? I want to punch that person.Originally posted by Top Ute View PostThree of those schools you mentioned take a hit in home scheduling because they have a neutral site game every year. Florida, Oklahoma and Texas could NEVER get 8 true home games in a season. But if Arizona State, Louisville and Oklahoma State can schedule 8 home games in a season (as each has on one occasion in the last three years), so can Utah.
It will be rare, but I wouldn't bet against it never happening. Probably the biggest obstacle to it happening is how we schedule USU and BYU in the future -- if you can get both at home every other year, 8 home games is definitely doable in an 8-game conference schedule.
At the very least, seven home games should be the rule."To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
—Abraham Maslow
Comment
-
I chuckled at the thought of seeing Holmoe's reaction to that, but I feel pretty good in saying no one affiliated with Utah has any design on making the rivalry game a 2-for-1 deal.Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View PostWho was the idiot reporter that asked Holmoe last week if BYU would accept a 2-1 with Utah? I want to punch that person.
Comment
-
Another good example is Michigan St. They aren't leaving the state of Michigan to play football until Oct 23. They have 7 home games and a de facto home game at ford field against florida atlantic.Originally posted by Top Ute View PostThree of those schools you mentioned take a hit in home scheduling because they have a neutral site game every year. Florida, Oklahoma and Texas could NEVER get 8 true home games in a season. But if Arizona State, Louisville and Oklahoma State can schedule 8 home games in a season (as each has on one occasion in the last three years), so can Utah.
It will be rare, but I wouldn't bet against it never happening. Probably the biggest obstacle to it happening is how we schedule USU and BYU in the future -- if you can get both at home every other year, 8 home games is definitely doable in an 8-game conference schedule.
At the very least, seven home games should be the rule."Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum
"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla
Comment
-
The timing of Colorado's move to the Pac-10+2 is still up in the air:
Maybe the Pac-10 will spot CU its exit fee. Also, once in the Pac-10+2, Bohn anticipates that the Buffs will play a nine-game conference schedule:North vs. South? East vs. West? Pac-10 entry moved up to 2011 or remain as planned for 2012?
Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn said Monday he hopes to have the answers by the end of the month to the summer's biggest questions surrounding CU's move to the Pac-10 from the Big 12. He may learn more at the Pac-10 meetings July 30 at the Rose Bowl.
"I'm disappointed I don't have details to share," Bohn said during his annual summer roundtable with the media after the 16th Count Casotti Classic at Pelican Lakes Golf and Country Club.
[...]
"I understand people want to know, but we don't have that yet," Bohn said.
Originally announced in June as a 2012 Pac-10 addition, there is more impetus for CU to move in 2011 with Nebraska joining the Big Ten and Utah joining the Pac-10. As a result of the uncertainty, Bohn said CU is preparing two sets of scenarios for 2011 depending on its conference affiliation.
Hmm... If Utah, once in the Pac-10+2, has a nine-game conference schedule as well I guessing that the Utes will permanently drop BYU and/or USU from their OOC schedule.Regardless of whether the bigger Pac-10 splits into divisions, Bohn anticipates a nine-game conference football schedule in the Pac-10 — one more than the Big 12. Several division configurations have been tossed around, but current Pac-10 schools don't want their existing rivalries to end."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Probably the same guy who asked if the PAC10 had given Holmoe a courtesy call before announcing the invite to Utah. Sometimes you can't make this stuff up. Amazing questions.Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View PostWho was the idiot reporter that asked Holmoe last week if BYU would accept a 2-1 with Utah? I want to punch that person.“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
I'm having a family beach vacation this week here in So Cal, and while out running in the morning I happened to be wearing a Utah t-shirt. As I circled the little island we are on I ran past many a vacationer in Stanford, USC, Cal, and UCLA gear. They all smiled and said "welcome." That was pretty cool.“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
Comment