Lakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #3316
    Lakers Ring in the new season

    http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...3814885.column



    It was an opening night championship ring ceremony that celebrated the ring the players have formed with each other, the jewel that is their teamwork, the bling of their mutual respect.
    When the ceremony ended, Artest took the microphone and presided over the unveiling of the championship banner, pointing to the Staples Center wall where the yellow victory flag would supposedly unfurl.

    It was at this point that the Lakers committed the evening's first turnover, a mistake that made the pregame ceremonies absolutely perfect.

    Ron-Ron pointed to the wrong wall.
    Lakers ground Rockets

    http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...,5692457.story







    Snoop in the House

    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • BGRTHNUMEGO
      Junior Member
      • May 2010
      • 3670

      #3317
      Looks like the third Collins brother and Woody Harrelson's good looking brother in the Snoop pick.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #3318
        Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
        Looks like the third Collins brother and Woody Harrelson's good looking brother in the Snoop pick.
        I thought Woody, as well. I also briefly thought that the guy in the corner was Spike Lee.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • BGRTHNUMEGO
          Junior Member
          • May 2010
          • 3670

          #3319
          Is there video to the ring ceremony somewhere? Have read 3-4 comments in the media today about how well done it was.

          Gotta get ready to see what to expect when Utah gets their preseason title rings tonight. Greg Miller is going to be solid on the mic, I just know it. He was tremendous last opening night.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #3320
            Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
            Is there video to the ring ceremony somewhere? Have read 3-4 comments in the media today about how well done it was.

            Gotta get ready to see what to expect when Utah gets their preseason title rings tonight. Greg Miller is going to be solid on the mic, I just know it. He was tremendous last opening night.
            Ha. A Jazz fan with a good sense of humor. Welcome!

            The ceremony was really cool. Check out the link I posted above. Apparently, Kobe and Fish helped put together the concept and it was executed well...very simple but very touching. There are only so many ways you can raise a banner but this one was original, so I give them credit for that, too.

            While Kobe was the last player introduced, I enjoyed the fact that everyone was highlighted in similar fashion. And I liked that players went unscripted.

            Also, I enjoyed looking at glimpses of Jeanie handing out stuff in her leather boots and skirt. Middle age rowrrr!

            [YOUTUBE]ULFNwjBJnwE[/YOUTUBE]
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27880

              #3321
              Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
              Watched this game at the local sports bar with my father-in-law in Los Alamitos. I thought the Lakers would get beat tonight as they did last year after receiving their rings. Good thing Blake cut that lead from 11 to 5 at the end of the 3rd, and it was fun to see him ultimately hit the game winner. Shannon looked great. If Phil wanted to play Fish like 8-10 minutes a game, or even not at all; you know, just to rest him for the playoffs, I'd totally support him in that. Kobe was better than I thought he'd be. Pau was solid as usual. Odom's early foul trouble totally shifted momentum in the 1st Q, and again in the 3rd. Like you said, this team is deeper than I remember in a long time, and that's before Odom goes back to the bench.
              Blake's back to back 3 balls were the turning point of the game. It got the game close and the rest of them took it from there. Great win against a good Rockets team.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #3322
                Im debating getting one of these. Why? Because Im getting the sense that they are rad but am still undecided. Im leaning towards rad, though.

                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #3323
                  Do all the teams have that many assistant coaches? What can they all possibly be doing that's productive. Was Boylen one of those drones with the Rockets?
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #3324
                    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    Do all the teams have that many assistant coaches? What can they all possibly be doing that's productive. Was Boylen one of those drones with the Rockets?
                    I assume you watched the video.

                    You may be a bit confused and I dont blame you. Technically, the Lakers only have 4 assistant coaches. Some of the guys in the video are specialists, not assistant coaches. Dr Buss has always purchased rings for everyone, so everyone gets a chance to be recognized on Ring night.

                    I know that with the Lakers, the specialists and some assistants basically split the team up and work with different players on specific parts of their game. For example, Chuck Person works to teach outside shooting, so he wont work with Bigs very much. Kareem works almost exclusively with Bynum and Pow. Brian Shaw works a bunch with the guards.

                    Jax's true traditional "assistants" are Clemons and Hamblen, working with jax on personnel, overall game plan, etc. Although Brian Shaw is always right by his side and will someday get his chance to coach a team (maybe not in LA, though), B Shaw is deployed into the trenches during practice...likely a function of his youth and ability to actually still run around/shoot around with the players.

                    Also, Jax splits up the season into equal parts and makes each assistant responsible for scouting a series of teams. That coach is responsible for everything related to that team....defensive breakdowns, offensive breakdowns, studying film, prepping the Lakers prior to games with those teams, etc. This way, nobody is spread thin and can really focus on a a smaller number of opponents. This strategy has worked very well for Jax over the years, hard to argue with the results.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • SeattleUte
                      Faith crisis consultant
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 20837

                      #3325
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I assume you watched the video.

                      You may be a bit confused and I dont blame you. Technically, the Lakers only have 4 assistant coaches. Some of the guys in the video are specialists, not assistant coaches. Dr Buss has always purchased rings for everyone, so everyone gets a chance to be recognized on Ring night.

                      I know that with the Lakers, the specialists and some assistants basically split the team up and work with different players on specific parts of their game. For example, Chuck Person works to teach outside shooting, so he wont work with Bigs very much. Kareem works almost exclusively with Bynum and Pow. Brian Shaw works a bunch with the guards.

                      Jax's true traditional "assistants" are Clemons and Hamblen, working with jax on personnel, overall game plan, etc. Although Brian Shaw is always right by his side and will someday get his chance to coach a team (maybe not in LA, though), B Shaw is deployed into the trenches during practice...likely a function of his youth and ability to actually still run around/shoot around with the players.

                      Also, Jax splits up the season into equal parts and makes each assistant responsible for scouting a series of teams. That coach is responsible for everything related to that team....defensive breakdowns, offensive breakdowns, studying film, prepping the Lakers prior to games with those teams, etc. This way, nobody is spread thin and can really focus on a a smaller number of opponents. This strategy has worked very well for Jax over the years, hard to argue with the results.
                      Thx. Yes, I was referring to the ring ceremony which I actually saw in tv. It seemed that the Lakers had more assistants than the cast of The Return of the King.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                      --Jonathan Swift

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #3326
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        Thx. Yes, I was referring to the ring ceremony which I actually saw in tv. It seemed that the Lakers had more assistants than the cast of The Return of the King.
                        I think it is fair to say that the Lakers do have a larger staff than other teams, although I think that The Cube wins for hiring the most assistants. I dont know the number, admittedly. The Mavericks always seem to have around 6 or so coaches. And it still hasnt worked out for them.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • HBCoug
                          Peanut Gallery Asshat
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 2082

                          #3327
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Im debating getting one of these. Why? Because Im getting the sense that they are rad but am still undecided. Im leaning towards rad, though.

                          I had the exact same thought last night watching the ring ceremony. Let me know if you get one and we can plan to wear them on the same days to CUF functions!!!

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #3328
                            Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                            I had the exact same thought last night watching the ring ceremony. Let me know if you get one and we can plan to wear them on the same days to CUF functions!!!
                            My concern is pretty simple. The front of the jacket is definitely rad, in the classic sense of the word, "rad."

                            The back is definitely rad, but I can't decide if it is a good "ghetto bling" rad or a bad "ghetto bling" rad.

                            As in previously stated, I am currently leaning towards a good "ghetto bling" rad.

                            If I get one, I will wear it to the lakers jazz game at the delta center.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • HBCoug
                              Peanut Gallery Asshat
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 2082

                              #3329
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              My concern is pretty simple. The front of the jacket is definitely rad, in the classic sense of the word, "rad."

                              The back is definitely rad, but I can't decide if it is a good "ghetto bling" rad or a bad "ghetto bling" rad.

                              As in previously stated, I am currently leaning towards a good "ghetto bling" rad.

                              If I get one, I will wear it to the lakers jazz game at the delta center.
                              You could never turn your back to anyone while wearing the warmup, and that would: 1) Ensure you always look rad, and 2) Prevent any unanticipated attacks.

                              Comment

                              • HBCoug
                                Peanut Gallery Asshat
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 2082

                                #3330
                                Let everyone know where your allegiance lies. Get authentic Los Angeles Lakers gear here. We have the best selection of Los Angeles Lakers jersey, t-shirts, hats and gifts for men, women and kids. Shop Now!


                                $150 at Lakersstore.com right now.

                                Comment

                                Working...