Lakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #3301
    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Yeah I am a bit surprised by the move as well. My guess he wants more input in day-to-day operations as opposed to being just a face. I also assume part of this is motivated by seeing all of his rivals go this rout: MJ, Bird, McHale, Dumars, Zeke. You could even argue that Kareem even has more influence with the Lakers than he did. But that is speculating that he never was involved much despite his team VP title.
    The interesting this is that only Bird and Dumars had any success. MJ, McHale, Isiah....all total failures as Execs.

    I wonder why Magic doesn't try to get more involved in basketball media. His stints on TNT have become more and more intelligible and he actually does a fairly decent job as an analyst.

    Of course, we dont know that he is going to align with the Pistons. We only know that he officially cashed out of the Lakers. Maybe he winds up with the Heat
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #3302
      Sells his stake in the Lakers. Yesterday sells his 105 Starbucks stores.

      Total haul for the week: north of $100MM. Not a bad week for Mag.



      When you make $100MM in less than a week, I wonder if you wake up and think, "I'm going to take a day off today and relax."
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • HBCoug
        Peanut Gallery Asshat
        • Dec 2008
        • 2082

        #3303
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Sells his stake in the Lakers. Yesterday sells his 105 Starbucks stores.

        Total haul for the week: north of $100MM. Not a bad week for Mag.



        When you make $100MM in less than a week, I wonder if you wake up and think, "I'm going to take a day off today and relax."
        I think he saw the writing on the wall. Back to back losses to the Jazz ... the time to sell is now. I thought we were poised for another run, but it's clear to see Utah is just better than we are.

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #3304
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Sells his stake in the Lakers. Yesterday sells his 105 Starbucks stores.

          Total haul for the week: north of $100MM. Not a bad week for Mag.



          When you make $100MM in less than a week, I wonder if you wake up and think, "I'm going to take a day off today and relax."
          I like the idea of Magic bringing an NFL franchise to LA a lot better than buying the Pistons. Plus, he'd one up all of his compadres.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #3305
            Sasha gets engaged.

            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #3306
              MJ.......



              Boston........



              That sound you hear.............it's footsteps.

              Coming for you.

              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #3307
                Originally posted by Michael Jordan
                Where does he rank among those, if you are talking about positions? If you are talking about guards, I would say he has got to be in the top 10.
                MJ has really turned into a bitter sad man, but at least he recognizes that Kobe is a top 10 guard.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #3308
                  Lakers down by 15 then come back to win. Already in post season form, for better and for worse.

                  This team is deep. Ultimately I think that is what wore down the rockets. And without Yao, the lakers had their way in the paint.

                  A fantastic ring ceremony, another banner on the wall, an exciting win. Good way to start the season.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • HBCoug
                    Peanut Gallery Asshat
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 2082

                    #3309
                    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Lakers down by 15 then come back to win. Already in post season form, for better and for worse.

                    This team is deep. Ultimately I think that is what wore down the rockets. And without Yao, the lakers had their way in the paint.

                    A fantastic ring ceremony, another banner on the wall, an exciting win. Good way to start the season.
                    Watched this game at the local sports bar with my father-in-law in Los Alamitos. I thought the Lakers would get beat tonight as they did last year after receiving their rings. Good thing Blake cut that lead from 11 to 5 at the end of the 3rd, and it was fun to see him ultimately hit the game winner. Shannon looked great. If Phil wanted to play Fish like 8-10 minutes a game, or even not at all; you know, just to rest him for the playoffs, I'd totally support him in that. Kobe was better than I thought he'd be. Pau was solid as usual. Odom's early foul trouble totally shifted momentum in the 1st Q, and again in the 3rd. Like you said, this team is deeper than I remember in a long time, and that's before Odom goes back to the bench.

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #3310
                      Pau did not sound happy after the game with the amount of minutes he played. Kind of a weird interview (that could have been because it was given by Cheryl Miller).

                      Also everytime I watch the Rockets as a Spurs fan I cringe to think we gave up Luis Scola.
                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #3311
                        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Pau did not sound happy after the game with the amount of minutes he played. Kind of a weird interview (that could have been because it was given by Cheryl Miller).

                        Also everytime I watch the Rockets as a Spurs fan I cringe to think we gave up Luis Scola.
                        Scola is fanstastic, but it seems like he is a 1Q-3Q kind of guy. He isnt a closer (this isnt a bad thing, mind you). He always seems to do well against the Lakers.

                        Pow knows that he will play more minutes this season, esp early on sans Bynum. I forgot until after the game that this depth we are seeing on the Lakers doesnt even take into account Bynum.

                        I think Pow realizes that the Lakers are going to burn through his useful life to take advantage of this window with the K-O-B-E, Lamar, Bynum, Artest, et al. Eventually, the Lakers will have to rebuild around LeBron so they are going to work Pow into the ground over the next few seasons.

                        If Pow can manage to win another ring or two in LA, I honestly think he goes up on the wall, or at least is given serious consideration. He has been that good for the team.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #3312
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Scola is fanstastic, but it seems like he is a 1Q-3Q kind of guy. He isnt a closer (this isnt a bad thing, mind you). He always seems to do well against the Lakers.

                          Pow knows that he will play more minutes this season, esp early on sans Bynum. I forgot until after the game that this depth we are seeing on the Lakers doesnt even take into account Bynum.

                          I think Pow realizes that the Lakers are going to burn through his useful life to take advantage of this window with the K-O-B-E, Lamar, Bynum, Artest, et al. Eventually, the Lakers will have to rebuild around LeBron so they are going to work Pow into the ground over the next few seasons.

                          If Pow can manage to win another ring or two in LA, I honestly think he goes up on the wall, or at least is given serious consideration. He has been that good for the team.
                          As I was commuting into work with my dad this morning we were talking about the game. The Lakers are deep. Odom gets in early foul trouble, Derek Caracter comes in (I was really surprised that Phil did that). Then Theo comes in to give Pau some rest. Brown and Blake off the bench. And they still have Sasha, Ebanks, and Luuuuuuuuuuuuke. I completely forgot about Bynum after the tip off.

                          If this team stays healthy they could be historic. I think they're that good and that deep.

                          Shannon has worked on his outside jumper a lot. It was noticeable all preseason. I love this team.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #3313
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            As I was commuting into work with my dad this morning we were talking about the game. The Lakers are deep. Odom gets in early foul trouble, Derek Caracter comes in (I was really surprised that Phil did that). Then Theo comes in to give Pau some rest. Brown and Blake off the bench. And they still have Sasha, Ebanks, and Luuuuuuuuuuuuke. I completely forgot about Bynum after the tip off.

                            If this team stays healthy they could be historic. I think they're that good and that deep.

                            Shannon has worked on his outside jumper a lot. It was noticeable all preseason. I love this team.
                            Not only did Shannon work on his jumper, but Artest did NOT work on his ability to finish around the basket. I would not be surprised if Artest costs the team 4-6 points a game in missed layups. He played nice defense last night but if he wants to be more of an option on offense (beyond standing outside and shooting 3s), he needs to learn to finish.

                            Another thing I loved about last night....Steve Blake hits the game winner off a dish from Kobe. The trust is already there with this squad. And I also think the expectation has been set early....Kobe isnt in shape to carry the team all the time. As you mentioned, we see that in Jax's rotation...already playing rookies and letting newcomers be on the floor to close out a tight game. Others have to prove themselves now and step up and take a role and I think they will do that.

                            This team is ready.

                            MJ...Boston...Footsteps.....
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #3314
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Not only did Shannon work on his jumper, but Artest did NOT work on his ability to finish around the basket. I would not be surprised if Artest costs the team 4-6 points a game in missed layups. He played nice defense last night but if he wants to be more of an option on offense (beyond standing outside and shooting 3s), he needs to learn to finish.

                              Another thing I loved about last night....Steve Blake hits the game winner off a dish from Kobe. The trust is already there with this squad. And I also think the expectation has been set early....Kobe isnt in shape to carry the team all the time. As you mentioned, we see that in Jax's rotation...already playing rookies and letting newcomers be on the floor to close out a tight game. Others have to prove themselves now and step up and take a role and I think they will do that.

                              This team is ready.

                              MJ...Boston...Footsteps.....
                              MJ feels it already. Hence the top 10 guard jab last week.

                              The Lakers shook off early cobwebs and set the tone.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #3315
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                MJ feels it already. Hence the top 10 guard jab last week.

                                The Lakers shook off early cobwebs and set the tone.
                                Not only that comment, but the one earlier this summer about Kobe being better than Lebron (stating the obvious, but still....).

                                Kobe has basically accomplished everything he possibly can except for this one last thing. If he can tie up with MJ, he will have eternal Scoreboard rights and Jazz fans will live on a lake of eternal misery and woe.

                                I recognize that Miami is a juggernaut in embryo and it is only a matter of time until they win. However, I think Kobe can lead the team to at least one more. Maybe two.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...