Originally posted by Northwestcoug
View Post
At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?
Collapse
X
-
I view Cuomo in about the same veins I do Trump. His track record during March was pretty poor. About the only group that I give barely a passing grade in this debacle are some if the mayor's of the harder hit areas.Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 07-15-2020, 02:09 PM."The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
-
Great post overall and thanks for the commentary. I am curious why you think the reopening was haphazard and reckless for FL and AZ but not TX. My biggest issue wiht TX is that masks were not mandated. In fact, Abbott was very anti-mask unitl the hospitals filled up and now he's on board, reluctantly. I'll be honest that I know littel about FL or AZ and their reopening plans.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post3. As I have been saying, I don't think that much information can be gathered to compare the states responses. This is a race with a staggered start, and it is only about 1/4 of the way completed. I do think that the reopening strategy of Florida's governor (and Arizona's) was haphazard and reckless. In doing so, they have squandered the advantages that they were handed. Time will tell."Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
I didn't lump Texas in as I only know in passing what they have done to date. I world want to dive in further to comment. Your Lt. governor is a tool, but the governor seems a bit more balanced. My main critique for him is that he needed to allow local governance to make local decisions, then back them. I have the same problem with Cuomo. He let his personal power struggle with NYC's mayor get in the way and delayed some intervention early on that may have made a small but measurable impact for NYC.Originally posted by Moliere View PostGreat post overall and thanks for the commentary. I am curious why you think the reopening was haphazard and reckless for FL and AZ but not TX. My biggest issue wiht TX is that masks were not mandated. In fact, Abbott was very anti-mask unitl the hospitals filled up and now he's on board, reluctantly. I'll be honest that I know littel about FL or AZ and their reopening plans.
I would add that Texas probably started the process too early, but it was a measured, stages approach instead of the free for all that was Arizona. I would add Georgia into the latter category as well."The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
Agreed. There were other poor decisions or delays that he should be excoriated for.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostI view Cuomo in about the same veins I do Trump. His track record during March was pretty poor. About the only group that I give barely a passing grade in this debacle are some if the mayor's of the harder hit areas."...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
"You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
- SeattleUte
Comment
-
Definitely agree on Dan Patrick. He’s a tool and just flat out weird. Abbott is a decent guy but he’s got a bit of an inferiority complex that clashes with his desire for a Texas sized ego.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostYour Lt. governor is a tool, but the governor seems a bit more balanced."Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
A problem in my part of Texas (Dallas area) is that some local/county leaders had different views on closing things down back then - they were not on the same page or it took a while to get on the same page and politics definitely factored in (and probably still does). For example, more Democratic Dallas county wanted to close down but neighboring Tarrant County (Ft. Worth) or Collin County (northern suburbs) are more Republican and wanted to stay open. That is problematic as people who want to dine out or go to a bar would simply travel (and spread the virus) to a nearby open locality. On the positive side, local leaders did not interfere with businesses that opted for a more immediate decision to close down.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostI didn't lump Texas in as I only know in passing what they have done to date. I world want to dive in further to comment. Your Lt. governor is a tool, but the governor seems a bit more balanced. My main critique for him is that he needed to allow local governance to make local decisions, then back them. I have the same problem with Cuomo. He let his personal power struggle with NYC's mayor get in the way and delayed some intervention early on that may have made a small but measurable impact for NYC.
I would add that Texas probably started the process too early, but it was a measured, stages approach instead of the free for all that was Arizona. I would add Georgia into the latter category as well.“Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
"All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel
Comment
-
What's with this nuanced look at the situation? How is that supposed to get my blood boiling?Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post1. A bit of happenstance. The biggest difference between Washington(and the west coast in general) was a lack of a large influx of undetected cases from foreign countries. This is primarily due to the shutdown of travel from China on January 30th. With the exception of the one cruise ship that docked in Santa Clara, the majority of the initial outbreaks on the west coast can be traced to American citizens returning from China. It is well known that patient 0 in Washington was a student who returned from Wuhan. If you think of the 50 day scale I described originally, Washington was aware of their outbreak on about day 15 or so. The best analogy is a grass fire. The initial outbreak in Washington was a single moderate sized fire that was found within hours after it started. It did damage, but the damage was localized. On the East coast, their outbreak was 1500 small fires started in random locations in the field that were not recognized for a few days.
2. I knew I forgot to cover something last night, and this was it. The decision to force patients back into nursing homes was the type of decision that gets made when all of the options are bad choices. I always say that the view from the cheap seats are pretty damn good. Everyone always criticizes the decision from the cheap seats, but they do that without looking through a prospective lens. What were all of the options? What are the potential consequences of each decision? What is the immediacy of needed decision? So what was the situation on March 25th when the mandate was made? On that day, nursing homes and assisted living centers were not just refusing COVID+ patients, they were refusing to take ANY patient that had been in a hospital for any reason, even for just a visit to the ER for a fall, etc. They wouldn't take them until they had a negative COVID test, and some were requiring 2 negative tests. At that time, testing turn around was horrid, around 3-5 days. It was more stringent for any COVID+ patients. They wouldn't take them until they were symptom free 14 days and had a negative test. This was regardless of whether they were actually sick enough to require hospitalization. So these patients, that would typically met criteria for discharge to a nursing home or assisted living center. So, now you have a large group of patients, that do not need to be in a hospital (based on meeting discharge criteria), but are now stuck in the hospital for 3-5 days, and even longer if they are COVID+. On top of that, the ER's are starting to burst at the seams needing to admit patients to beds that are filled with patients who don't need to be there, but can not be discharged anywhere. So your choices are to force centers to take back patients to clear hospital space, or do you acquiesce to the nursing homes, keeping those patients in the hospital and turning away patients from the ER that need hospitalized. There are few other options, but they would require substantial time ( one would be to force a few homes to be COVID centers and move all of their other patients to other places, which the care centers would fight tooth and nail through legal channels). So given those two choices what was the correct choice of two very bad options? Which would result in fewer deaths? No one knows because one path was taken. This is another one of those things that fits into the category of poor care decisions that were prompted by the avalanche of patients. No other states have been forced to make that decision. In Utah, we have had to jump through all of the same hoops for patients that we send to nursing homes, psychiatric facilities, and assisted living centers. But we have had the luxury of holding the patients in the hospital until testing comes back because we have not been in a bed crunch in any meaningful way. And there are now centers designated on the Wasatch Front that are COVID centers because they have already had cases.
As far as the Javit's center field hospital is concerned, it came on line on April 1st, but it was originally slated as a COVID free center (as was the Naval Hospital Ship). This was determined by Agent Orange and the military. They thought they would take all of the non ICU, non covid patient's from the hospitals to free up room. Trouble was that wasn't the need. They needed extra space for COVID patients. That did not change until my second week in New York, so sometime around April 21st. By then it was too late for the nursing homes, and the hospitals had already reconfigured all of their own space to manage their loads. So the Javit's center was virtually unused. I did transfer 2 patients there during my stay. To me the Javit's center is the living symbol of the ineptitude of the US response to this pandemic. It was a grand facility that did not fill any meaningful need at the time when it was needed most.
3. As I have been saying, I don't think that much information can be gathered to compare the states responses. This is a race with a staggered start, and it is only about 1/4 of the way completed. I do think that the reopening strategy of Florida's governor (and Arizona's) was haphazard and reckless. In doing so, they have squandered the advantages that they were handed. Time will tell."I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
- Goatnapper'96
Comment
-
So the djt dumb dumb gang is directing COVID #s to be reported to HHS vs. CDC. Hmmmmmmmmm.Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!
For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.
Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."
Comment
-
Yeah this is champion-level gaslighting. I know if there's anybody we can trust with the numbers of covid being reported, it's the Trump administration. :|Originally posted by myboynoah View PostSo the djt dumb dumb gang is directing COVID #s to be reported to HHS vs. CDC. Hmmmmmmmmm."I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"
Comment
-
"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
It's about time.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostGive 'em Hell, Cougars!!!
For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.
Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."
Comment
-
Interesting view. Seems everyone has to go through a spike then you are done. The only anomaly is Louisiana."Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum
"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla
Comment
-
Well Shit.... Little league football cancelled til further notice.... most likely till the spring. what a bummer."Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum
"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla
Comment
-
Comment
-
What? 47% of Republicans in a poll last May said they'd refuse to take a covid vaccination when it becomes available? It's embarrassing how they're so quickly turning it into the party that embraces ignorance. The Trump party needs to be annihilated in November so there can be some hope it can reform and shed the love of ignorance and xenophobia.
Last edited by BlueK; 07-17-2020, 02:54 PM.
Comment
Comment