Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

    My husband keeps telling me to stop with the panic, but I am in full blown fear. What is your position?
    47
    From the Social Media rumors at the very beginning
    6.38%
    3
    When CCP abruptly stopped arresting journalists, and announced 3 hospitals in 1 week
    10.64%
    5
    When I tried to buy masks online from Amazon, Home Depot & Lowes, only to find everywhere sold out
    2.13%
    1
    When WHO declared a global emergency
    12.77%
    6
    When the US closed its borders to non-americans
    6.38%
    3
    When the lethality passed SARS
    0.00%
    0
    When they cancel Church in my area
    6.38%
    3
    I'm still not going to panic
    55.32%
    26

  • #2
    Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    My husband keeps telling me to stop with the panic, but I am in full blown fear. What is your position?
    Not worried. It's a serious problem in China, obviously, but I think its effect in the U.S. will be economic, not medical. I have clients who are fretting about the shutdown of of Chinese factories, delaying deliveries.

    But influenza accounts for a far greater number of illnesses and deaths each year than do these these regional outbreaks of new viruses. It won't make you feel any less concerned, but watch Pandemic on Netflix. It's both worrying and heartening, the latter because of the efforts being put in to avoid a repeat of the 1919 flu epidemic that killed over 50 Million, and that in a time when international travel was far more limited than now.

    Comment


    • #3
      I do think increased international travel will help move this thing along, but I'm still not convinced it's that big a threat.

      But tomorrow I might come down with the symptoms, who knows? I was on a boat in Paris surrounded by hundreds of Asian tourists. Also, in London we stayed at the Hilton attached to Paddington Station. At one point a good portion of the station was shut down on Friday because they thought a couple of people with the virus were there. So who knows? I might actually be spreading it around Utah.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        I do think increased international travel will help move this thing along, but I'm still not convinced it's that big a threat.

        But tomorrow I might come down with the symptoms, who knows? I was on a boat in Paris surrounded by hundreds of Asian tourists. Also, in London we stayed at the Hilton attached to Paddington Station. At one point a good portion of the station was shut down on Friday because they thought a couple of people with the virus were there. So who knows? I might actually be spreading it around Utah.
        Some day "Wuhan Bo" will be remembered the same way as Typhoid Mary

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          Some day "Wuhan Bo" will be remembered the same way as Typhoid Mary
          Just remember that I was talked in to taking that boat ride by someone else...

          Comment


          • #6
            Last week I changed a flight that had a layover in Shanghai. I spend a lot of time in Asia around a lot of people who are frequently in China. I’ve been taking it seriously for a while now.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

            Comment


            • #7
              Isn't there a pretty big difference between a panic and taking it seriously? I think anyone would be foolhardy not to take it seriously. But it is far too early to bne in a panic, at least if you live in the USA.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

              Comment


              • #8
                We have a supply of masks in our 72-hour kits and each person in the family (including the college kids) have their own 72-hour kit so if the SHTF with the virus and the rest of you are at the store fighting over the last box of masks on the shelves, the Meanie clan will be safe at home weathering the oncoming zombie apocalypse.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The filipino man "appeared to be recovering and getting better when he just keeled over and died." Why would a person appear to be getting better and then worsen?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The US and China in a pissing contest:

                    US: We can send scientists to help (and maybe slip in a spy or two, to get real numbers).
                    China: We don't want scientists (or spies), we just want supplies and equipment.
                    US: :::crickets chirping:::
                    China: All of a sudden, your second repatriation flight has been delayed.
                    US: We offered to help! They refused!
                    China: Give us what we want, not what we need!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      China was on our short list for our 15 anniversary in the fall. I can only assume that due to the virus scare, tix are dirt cheap (500 r/t from slc to Shanghai). This will all be under control by October, right?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I know I'm just a pansy hack, but I'm posting the most alarming report. Please feel free to call me an idiot.

                        Four hours ago, The South China Post,

                        Earlier the WHO reported that the virus was stable and there was no evidence it was mutating, but Chinese scientists have reported “striking” mutations between family members, the South China Post reports.

                        Researchers studying a cluster of infections within a family in the southern province of Guangdong said the genes of the virus went through some significant changes as it spread within the family.
                        Viruses mutate all the time, but most changes are synonymous or “silent”, having little effect on the way the virus behaves. Others, known as nonsynonymous substitutions, can alter biological traits, allowing them to adapt to different environments.
                        Two nonsynonymous changes took place in the viral strains isolated from the family, according to a new study by Professor Cui Jie and colleagues at the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai.
                        This case indicated “viral evolution may have occurred during person-to-person transmission”, they wrote in the paper published in the journal National Science Review on 29 January.


                        I'm pretty sure Stephen King called Captain Tripps a "shifting phase antigen."


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Katie, I'm so confident you won't get Corona virus that if you do, I will give you $1,000,000 of Jeff lebowskis money. Take it to the bank

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Toronto Stake President is a lead researcher at the primary science and research hospital in the city. They enacted SARS protocols in the Stake for two weeks: 1 hour church, bread exclusive to specific rows of pews, rubber gloves for those passing etc.

                            You should be glad to hear the SARS protocols have been lifted. They are back to two hour church. I take that as a good sign.
                            Last edited by tooblue; 02-04-2020, 12:52 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              I know I'm just a pansy hack, but I'm posting the most alarming report. Please feel free to call me an idiot.

                              Four hours ago, The South China Post,

                              Earlier the WHO reported that the virus was stable and there was no evidence it was mutating, but Chinese scientists have reported “striking” mutations between family members, the South China Post reports.

                              Researchers studying a cluster of infections within a family in the southern province of Guangdong said the genes of the virus went through some significant changes as it spread within the family.
                              Viruses mutate all the time, but most changes are synonymous or “silent”, having little effect on the way the virus behaves. Others, known as nonsynonymous substitutions, can alter biological traits, allowing them to adapt to different environments.
                              Two nonsynonymous changes took place in the viral strains isolated from the family, according to a new study by Professor Cui Jie and colleagues at the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai.
                              This case indicated “viral evolution may have occurred during person-to-person transmission”, they wrote in the paper published in the journal National Science Review on 29 January.


                              I'm pretty sure Stephen King called Captain Tripps a "shifting phase antigen."


                              Let's assume your worst fears are true. Let's assume that this thing mutates and transmits like crazy and that its lethality is 10 or even 100 times greater than currently calculated. What can you or I do about it right now?

                              Should people pull their kids out of school and keep them at home?
                              Should you start living off your year supply so you never need to leave the house - basically see how long you can stand being a hermit in your own home?

                              Seems a bit early for that.

                              What should governments be doing about it? Well, state/local/federal governments should probably be reviewing their outbreak/treatment plans, tracking/measuring the incidence of sickness in their areas. Carefully monitoring hospitals and other health care locations for signs of spread, etc. Seems like they're doing this already.

                              Should they start closing off cities and towns? Should they start rounding up anyone with a fever or cough and confine them in containment centers? That's going on in China right now but it seems a bit early for that in the US.

                              Let's say that the SHTF and we truly go into lockdown mode and society starts to collapse. Maybe then it's time to pull the kids out of school. Maybe then it's time to hermit in your house and live off your storage. Maybe then it's time to bug out to your cabin in he hills and go all Grizzly Adams away from other humans.

                              But it's kind of like the parable of the 10 virgins. You either prepared ahead of time and have oil in your lamp, or you didn't. You either have a 72-hour kit if you need to evacuate Paradise California, or you don't. You either have storage that you could live on if you get locked down in your home for weeks or months, or you don't. You have the cabin in the hills or your don't. (For the record, I don't have a cabin in the hills and a bug-out plan).

                              If you weren't prepared by the time the SHTF then it's already too late. If you did prepare then you'll deal with the circumstances the best you can, try to help others as best you can, and ultimately some survive and some don't.

                              The virus is not really different than a hurricane or a flood or any other disaster, the time to prepare for it was months and years in advance. It's too late once everyone realizes the disaster is coming. There isn't much you can do about it at that point.

                              So, while we're still relatively isolated from the virus in the US, I would recommend you do your best to prepare what you need now. If Amazon is out of masks, maybe check the local hardware store or paint supply store or medical supply store. If you need to beef up your storage, maybe do so this weekend before the panic hits in another week or month from now. And if the panic never hits then at least you've got some oil in your lamp for the next thing that comes along.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X