SCOTUS

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maximus
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 6017

    #481
    I agree a scotus justice clearly supporting insurrection isn't a big deal

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15664

      #482
      Anybody thinking about putting recusal into play as a political weapon is being very, very shortsighted.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • Maximus
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 6017

        #483
        do you agree it shows a bias?

        Comment

        • USUC
          Chronic Poseur
          • Apr 2010
          • 8790

          #484
          Originally posted by Maximus View Post
          do you agree it shows a bias?
          It shows the bias of his wife. Is there anything linking this bias directly to Alito? Judicial philosophy cannot be used as an indication of bias given every justice has their own judicial philosophy.

          Comment

          • frank ryan
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 12358

            #485
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

            The whole thing is a laughably ridiculous overreaction. He is not going to be recused from anything.
            It's not. Do you remember the last time your wife signaled support for overthrowing the government? For shits and giggles?

            It's not inconsequential. Especially not when there are also concerns about the court enabling Trump at really sensitive point in our history.


            Comment

            • frank ryan
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 12358

              #486
              Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Anybody thinking about putting recusal into play as a political weapon is being very, very shortsighted.
              Between stuff like that and all the tolerance for Thomas effectively being paid by right wing billionaires does not inspire confidence.

              That's important, particularly when other important bodies in our government are hemorrhaging trust

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69689

                #487
                Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

                It's not. Do you remember the last time your wife signaled support for overthrowing the government? For shits and giggles?
                Shits and giggles? Her neighbor had a sign with the F-word next to a kid's bus stop. Then another sign calling her the C-word. You think this was just a fun little thing for her? Wow.



                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Omaha 680
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 11181

                  #488
                  These male supreme court justices need to get their uppity wives on a leash, amirite? They should recuse themselves because they can't control their women as is required of a good statesman in our republic.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69689

                    #489
                    Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    These male supreme court justices need to get their uppity wives on a leash, amirite? They should recuse themselves because they can't control their women as is required of a good statesman in our republic.
                    Haha. No kidding.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Northwestcoug
                      Cocked and Loaded
                      • May 2011
                      • 18021

                      #490
                      Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      These male supreme court justices need to get their uppity wives on a leash, amirite? They should recuse themselves because they can't control their women as is required of a good statesman in our republic.
                      I assume this is at least partly TIC, but the issue has nothing to do with keeping wives subservient. My group has benefitted from a good working relationship with the local hospital for 20+ years. If my wife planted a sign on our lawn that the current CEO blows, that would potentially harm my employment, or at the very least my perception with hospital admin. Same would go if I planted a sign bagging the principal of the school she works at. You just don't share the quiet things out loud when they have the potential to harm the public perception of a spouse.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69689

                        #491
                        Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                        I assume this is at least partly TIC, but the issue has nothing to do with keeping wives subservient. My group has benefitted from a good working relationship with the local hospital for 20+ years. If my wife planted a sign on our lawn that the current CEO blows, that would potentially harm my employment, or at the very least my perception with hospital admin. Same would go if I planted a sign bagging the principal of the school she works at. You just don't share the quiet things out loud when they have the potential to harm the public perception of a spouse.
                        Has anyone argued that it wasn't a dumb thing for his wife to do?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Northwestcoug
                          Cocked and Loaded
                          • May 2011
                          • 18021

                          #492
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                          Has anyone argued that it wasn't a dumb thing for his wife to do?
                          Well Omaha is framing it as declasse to even consider counseling a wife to not do something like that. Again, I'm not sure how much of that was TIC.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69689

                            #493
                            Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                            Well Omaha is framing it as declasse to even consider counseling a wife to not do something like that. Again, I'm not sure how much of that was TIC.
                            Yeah, I think you missed the point. Married or not, they are not the same person. He said he had nothing to do with putting the flag up.

                            Should your wife be held accountable for every dumb thing you do?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • All-American
                              Right, as Usual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 15664

                              #494
                              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              do you agree it shows a bias?
                              Not especially. If I wanted to show that Alito is biased towards Trump and Republicans, I would not likely cite that once upon a time his wife hung a flag upside down. I would just look at his record instead.

                              And even if it does show bias, calling for recusal is still a really bad idea.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                              Comment

                              • Northwestcoug
                                Cocked and Loaded
                                • May 2011
                                • 18021

                                #495
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Should your wife be held accountable for every dumb thing you do?
                                Do you want me to answer truthfully?

                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

                                Comment

                                Working...