Ukraine - somebody explain to me

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The_Tick
    Made something of myself
    • Nov 2008
    • 7297

    #766
    Originally posted by Commando View Post
    I know anything is better than nothing, but as a non-military literate person I ought to ask: Are those good fighter jets?
    They are jets the Ukrainian pilots are certified and trained to fly on. That is why this "sign and trade" is important.

    And we are phasing the F-16's out. It is a win win for everyone.

    *Not a military guy, but I listen to a lot of military books!

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21153

      #767
      Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

      They are jets the Ukrainian pilots are certified and trained to fly on. That is why this "sign and trade" is important.

      And we are phasing the F-16's out. It is a win win for everyone except the Russians.

      *Not a military guy, but I listen to a lot of military books!
      fify
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • fusnik
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 4475

        #768
        Originally posted by Commando View Post
        I know anything is better than nothing, but as a non-military literate person I ought to ask: Are those good fighter jets?
        Doubtful.

        Weren’t MIGs the same jets that F-14s destroyed in Top Gun and Iron Eagle?

        Aren’t we on F-22s now?

        Comment

        • fusnik
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 4475

          #769
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

          I hope not. This feels different. I hope the resolve lasts.
          I truly wonder what’s different. I’m going to ignore the news cast blunder that Ukrainians are Europeans not some African or third world country folk, but we’ve had multiple genocides since the 90’s that’s triggered the mass migration of millions of people and we rarely cared about it longer than 2-3 weeks.

          We had a party 2 weekends and that’s all everyone could talk about, this last weekend I didn’t even hear a convo about it.

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21153

            #770
            Originally posted by fusnik View Post

            Doubtful.

            Weren’t MIGs the same jets that F-14s destroyed in Top Gun and Iron Eagle?

            Aren’t we on F-22s now?
            Iron Eagle - MiG-23
            Top Gun - fictional MiG-28
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21153

              #771
              Originally posted by fusnik View Post

              I truly wonder what’s different. I’m going to ignore the news cast blunder that Ukrainians are Europeans not some African or third world country folk, but we’ve had multiple genocides since the 90’s that’s triggered the mass migration of millions of people and we rarely cared about it longer than 2-3 weeks.

              We had a party 2 weekends and that’s all everyone could talk about, this last weekend I didn’t even hear a convo about it.
              How can you party while knowing what's going on in Ukraine? Don't you have any sackcloth or ashes?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69750

                #772
                Originally posted by fusnik View Post

                I truly wonder what’s different. I’m going to ignore the news cast blunder that Ukrainians are Europeans not some African or third world country folk, but we’ve had multiple genocides since the 90’s that’s triggered the mass migration of millions of people and we rarely cared about it longer than 2-3 weeks.

                We had a party 2 weekends and that’s all everyone could talk about, this last weekend I didn’t even hear a convo about it.
                What kind of assholes do you hang out with?!
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • USUC
                  Chronic Poseur
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 8806

                  #773
                  The global repercussions of this could be something else. Apparently the last time wheat prices skyrocketed the Arab Spring happened.


                  Comment

                  • Omaha 680
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 11184

                    #774
                    Originally posted by fusnik View Post

                    I’m concerned that the sanctions will be so brutal on the everyday Russian that 15 years from now we will have pre WW2 Nazi German 2.0 but this time coupled with Xi’s psycho kid and 5k nukes.
                    But all those Russian and Chinese missiles probably don't work.

                    Comment

                    • myboynoah
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 21719

                      #775
                      Sanctioning them back to the Soviet Age.



                      Better stock up on toilet paper.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                      Comment

                      • Omaha 680
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 11184

                        #776
                        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        Sanctioning them back to the Soviet Age.



                        Better stock up on toilet paper.
                        Sheesh. And Putin has been annoyed by and cracking down on protests to date. Wait until this scene is repeated across the country. I really feel for innocent Russians who had the bad luck of being born into a rule under a dictator. But I obviously feel more for the Ukrainians. This (and effects of increased sanctions) is the only way right now.

                        Edit: Only way obviously coupled with the increased support of Ukrainian defense. The fighter swap reported today was great news.

                        Comment

                        • Northwestcoug
                          Cocked and Loaded
                          • May 2011
                          • 18039

                          #777
                          Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

                          Sheesh. And Putin has been annoyed by and cracking down on protests to date. Wait until this scene is repeated across the country. I really feel for innocent Russians who had the bad luck of being born into a rule under a dictator. But I obviously feel more for the Ukrainians. This (and effects of increased sanctions) is the only way right now.

                          Edit: Only way obviously coupled with the increased support of Ukrainian defense. The fighter swap reported today was great news.
                          fighter plane swap just got nixed. No word why Poland announced deal and then US rejected, but that’s a terrible look for NATO.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69750

                            #778
                            Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                            fighter plane swap just got nixed. No word why Poland announced deal and then US rejected, but that’s a terrible look for NATO.
                            Sounds like Poland announced something before it was vetted by NATO. Oof.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Omaha 680
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 11184

                              #779
                              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                              fighter plane swap just got nixed. No word why Poland announced deal and then US rejected, but that’s a terrible look for NATO.
                              Ugh. That's a terrible unforced error.

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21153

                                #780
                                Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

                                Ugh. That's a terrible unforced error.
                                Assuming the narrative is true, I wonder if Poland knew that the deal hadn't been vetted yet but released the info anyway to pressure the US into getting the deal done?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...