Ukraine - somebody explain to me

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #916
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

    You went after me with personal attacks more than anyone during the pandemic. That was weird.

    But you have sincerely apologized and we are square. I really respect that.
    Yes. You too.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21148

      #917
      Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

      I'm just saying that asking someone if "that is their area of expertise" shuts down conversation. Because it basically is telling someone to sit down and let the adults talk about it.

      I am an expert in oil and gas measurement. When people are wrong about stuff I just ignore it and let them have discussions. I'm working on becoming an expert on Psychoeducational reports and the IEP process. I'd never shut someone down though if they were misguided or misinformed, I'd engage and have a convo.

      You are good people, your tone has somewhat softened over the last year.
      Interpersonal communications - is that your field? Maybe you should stick to what you know.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #918
        Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

        I'm just saying that asking someone if "that is their area of expertise" shuts down conversation. Because it basically is telling someone to sit down and let the adults talk about it.

        I am an expert in oil and gas measurement. When people are wrong about stuff I just ignore it and let them have discussions. I'm working on becoming an expert on Psychoeducational reports and the IEP process. I'd never shut someone down though if they were misguided or misinformed, I'd engage and have a convo.

        You are good people, your tone has somewhat softened over the last year.
        I try only to say that when someone says something outside the mainstream, like we should have allowed Ukraine to fly Polish warplanes from a US base in Germany.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69735

          #919
          Incredible story in the WSJ about a town in southern Ukraine that wiped out a russian BTG that attacked their town. They did it with RPGs, anti-tank weapons, and artillery strikes that were coordinated at least partially with townsfolk calling in coordinates using their binoculars and a social media app.

          This link is from my account, so it should work for you without a paywall:

          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • myboynoah
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 21719

            #920
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Incredible story in the WSJ about a town in southern Ukraine that wiped out a russian BTG that attacked their town. They did it with RPGs, anti-tank weapons, and artillery strikes that were coordinated at least partially with townsfolk calling in coordinates using their binoculars and a social media app.

            This link is from my account, so it should work for you without a paywall:

            https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraine...hare_permalink
            You da man. Wanted to read that article but having trouble loging in through our work account.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21148

              #921
              #Russian forces face mounting difficulties replacing combat losses in #Ukraine, including the possible death of the commander of the 150th Motor Rifle Division near #Mariupol. Read the latest report from @TheStudyofWar and @criticalthreats: https://t.co/YpM1plQIlL


              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • The_Tick
                Made something of myself
                • Nov 2008
                • 7297

                #922
                Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                Interpersonal communications - is that your field? Maybe you should stick to what you know.
                Jokes on you! Counseling courses are a heavy part of my current grad school. Shoot....I just aced my Counseling in Diversity course.

                I'm becoming well-rounded. Wuap would be proud.

                Comment

                • Scott R Nelson
                  UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 1508

                  #923
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  This link is from my account, so it should work for you without a paywall:

                  https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraine...hare_permalink
                  That's the standard article link. Post your username and password so that we can all read it.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69735

                    #924
                    Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                    That's the standard article link. Post your username and password so that we can all read it.
                    It is good for a certain number of clicks. You are too late I guess.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #925
                      Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                      That's the standard article link. Post your username and password so that we can all read it.
                      we should ban anybody that doesnt have a wsj account
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69735

                        #926
                        OK, here is another one you all need to check out. From the NYT, once again using one of my ten-per-month gift links. Let me know if it doesn't work.

                        As Russian Troop Deaths Climb, Morale Becomes an Issue, Officials Say

                        A few quotes:

                        In 36 days of fighting on Iwo Jima during World War II, nearly 7,000 Marines were killed. Now, 20 days after President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia invaded Ukraine, his military has already lost more soldiers, according to American intelligence estimates.

                        The conservative side of the estimate, at more than 7,000 Russian troop deaths, is greater than the number of American troops killed over 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

                        It is a staggering number amassed in just three weeks of fighting, American officials say, with implications for the combat effectiveness of Russian units, including soldiers in tank formations. Pentagon officials say a 10 percent casualty rate, including dead and wounded, for a single unit renders it unable to carry out combat-related tasks.
                        “Three generals already — that’s a shocking number,” Michael McFaul, the former United States ambassador to Russia, said in an interview.

                        On Wednesday, Ukrainian officials reported that a fourth general, Maj. Gen. Oleg Mityaev, the commander of the 150th motorized rifle division, had been killed in fighting.

                        Two American military officials said that many Russian generals are talking on unsecured phones and radios. In at least one instance, they said, the Ukrainians intercepted a general’s call, geolocated it, and attacked his location, killing him and his staff.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • myboynoah
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 21719

                          #927
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          OK, here is another one you all need to check out. From the NYT, once again using one of my ten-per-month gift links. Let me know if it doesn't work.

                          As Russian Troop Deaths Climb, Morale Becomes an Issue, Officials Say

                          A few quotes:

                          Those numbers are crazy. And more are being sent in. Puten is going to drive this thing into the ground.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                          Comment

                          • Moliere
                            One man.....one pie
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 27893

                            #928
                            Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

                            Those numbers are crazy. And more are being sent in. Puten is going to drive this thing into the ground.
                            It’s Russia. They could lose 50,000 soldiers and they’d still push on.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #929
                              Libertarians of the world, unite!

                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • myboynoah
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 21719

                                #930
                                Uh oh.

                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                                For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                                Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                                Comment

                                Working...