Ukraine - somebody explain to me

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69742

    #151
    Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I don't remember any drills or talk in school about nukes.
    You missed out. We had songs and everything.

    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • beefytee
      Board eye candy
      • Mar 2009
      • 7542

      #152
      I was in elementary school when Red Dawn came out. That was the movie that made the cold war a big deal to me.

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27897

        #153
        Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        I was in elementary school when Red Dawn came out. That was the movie that made the cold war a big deal to me.
        You guys are soooo old. I barely remember hearing about the Berlin Wall falling. I was probably around 10.

        At least a war would push up oil prices
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • Bo Diddley
          Senior
          • Jul 2012
          • 18808

          #154
          Originally posted by Pelado View Post

          They say memories are the first to go.
          Guilty as charged!

          Comment

          • beefytee
            Board eye candy
            • Mar 2009
            • 7542

            #155
            Originally posted by Moliere View Post

            You guys are soooo old. I barely remember hearing about the Berlin Wall falling. I was probably around 10.

            At least a war would push up oil prices
            You sound like my wife. I'm a year and a half older than her.

            Comment

            • USUC
              Chronic Poseur
              • Apr 2010
              • 8803

              #156
              Originally posted by beefytee View Post

              You sound like my wife. I'm a year and a half older than her.
              My wife was 9 when the Berlin Wall fell. She remembers the nuclear drills. But Nellis Air Force Base was close by so maybe they did it there at a higher frequency. I definitely remember a drill in 1984 because in the same room I tripped and stabbed myself with scissors.

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21149

                #157
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                You guys are soooo old. I barely remember hearing about the Berlin Wall falling. I was probably around 10.

                At least a war would push up oil prices
                November 9, 1989. I was 13.

                Drills in school - earthquake, yes; nuclear, no.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18808

                  #158
                  Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                  November 9, 1989. I was 13.

                  Drills in school - earthquake, yes; nuclear, no.
                  Yes, I remember earthquake drills in school.

                  Comment

                  • PaloAltoCougar
                    Semper infra dignitatem
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 16939

                    #159
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                    You guys are soooo old. I barely remember hearing about the Berlin Wall falling. I was probably around 10.

                    At least a war would push up oil prices
                    You want old? I'll give you old... I was fascinated, afraid, and weirdly excited throughout the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was only 10 but was really into the possibility of WWIII, and sent away for plans to build a fallout shelter for our backyard. My dad was a general contractor and he humored me by going over the plans with me, but we never followed through. I read Alas, Babylon, a great book about nuclear war, and loved Fail Safe and Dr. Strangelove (both of which were released a year or so after the Crisis. I was convinced we were headed toward a thermonuclear war (as were several members of JFK's cabinet). Fortunately, Mutual Assured Destruction kept us safe, and I think it always will, but I'm not discounting the risk of a terrorist organization with a single bomb.

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21149

                      #160
                      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                      You want old? I'll give you old... I was fascinated, afraid, and weirdly excited throughout the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was only 10 but was really into the possibility of WWIII, and sent away for plans to build a fallout shelter for our backyard. My dad was a general contractor and he humored me by going over the plans with me, but we never followed through. I read Alas, Babylon, a great book about nuclear war, and loved Fail Safe and Dr. Strangelove (both of which were released a year or so after the Crisis. I was convinced we were headed toward a thermonuclear war (as were several members of JFK's cabinet). Fortunately, Mutual Assured Destruction kept us safe, and I think it always will, but I'm not discounting the risk of a terrorist organization with a single bomb.
                      What if the terrorists get a married bomb? That could be even more explosive.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • myboynoah
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 21719

                        #161
                        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                        You want old? I'll give you old... I was fascinated, afraid, and weirdly excited throughout the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was only 10 but was really into the possibility of WWIII, and sent away for plans to build a fallout shelter for our backyard. My dad was a general contractor and he humored me by going over the plans with me, but we never followed through. I read Alas, Babylon, a great book about nuclear war, and loved Fail Safe and Dr. Strangelove (both of which were released a year or so after the Crisis. I was convinced we were headed toward a thermonuclear war (as were several members of JFK's cabinet). Fortunately, Mutual Assured Destruction kept us safe, and I think it always will, but I'm not discounting the risk of a terrorist organization with a single bomb.
                        Don't remember the missle crisis (a little too young), but everything else rings true. Read Alas Babylon (it became my bible for post-apocalypse survival, like the dietary need for salt), have the image of Slim Pickens riding that bomb etched in my mind, and fantisized about how to fashion a makeshift fallout shelter (understanding that we would only have about a 30-minute warning) based on pamphlets my parents had around the house. My plan was that we would retreat to the basement and then fill in the stairwell with dirt, hoping that would be sufficient to keep the radiation from getting to us. A heavy burden for a 12-14 year-old.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                        Comment

                        • Bo Diddley
                          Senior
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 18808

                          #162
                          You guys remind me of Billy Joel's song Leningrad. I really missed it.

                          Comment

                          • Pelado
                            Bald not naked
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 21149

                            #163
                            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            You guys remind me of Billy Joel's song Leningrad. I really missed it.
                            Blast them yellow Reds to hell!
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

                            Comment

                            • PaloAltoCougar
                              Semper infra dignitatem
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 16939

                              #164
                              Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

                              Don't remember the missle crisis (a little too young), but everything else rings true. Read Alas Babylon (it became my bible for post-apocalypse survival, like the dietary need for salt), have the image of Slim Pickens riding that bomb etched in my mind, and fantisized about how to fashion a makeshift fallout shelter (understanding that we would only have about a 30-minute warning) based on pamphlets my parents had around the house. My plan was that we would retreat to the basement and then fill in the stairwell with dirt, hoping that would be sufficient to keep the radiation from getting to us. A heavy burden for a 12-14 year-old.
                              Weird that one would even want to survive a major attack, if one were living anywhere near a primary target. Between Livermore Labs, Sandia, and Silicon Valley, I read that this would be the number one civilian target if things went nuclear. Rather than hope to emerge weeks later into a desolate wasteland, I think I'd prefer to settle back into a recliner in my backyard, sipping a cool beverage, and enjoy, however briefly, the fireball.

                              Or perhaps, this (that's me with another board member):

                              Comment

                              • BlueK
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2011
                                • 7196

                                #165
                                Originally posted by USUC View Post

                                His problem is that the western half of the country are Ukrainian nationalists and hate Russia. It would be unmanageable for him. I don't think he would be that dumb.
                                I think he is that "dumb." He comes from a cold war past when the Soviet Union exerted strong influence over multiple countries where the people weren't fond of Russia. He wants Ukraine to go back to having an authoritarian government that leans toward Russia.The management of it would be through a puppet government. In his way of thinking, a democratic Ukraine that aligns with the west is a horrific nightmare probably worth starting a war over.
                                Last edited by BlueK; 01-23-2022, 04:56 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...