Originally posted by Uncle Ted
View Post
Missing POW from Hailey Idaho
Collapse
X
-
sound like the desperate and self destructive actions of a person dealing an intense emotional and existential crisis, who likely soaked in some pretty traumatic stuff in a war
-
Less than 3 months to football. Pace yourselves."Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault
"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors
Comment
-
Perhaps....but if I understand what you are saying, desertion is never a possibility because someone who leaves their post must be mentally ill. Is that correct?Originally posted by frank ryan View Postsound like the desperate and self destructive actions of a person dealing an intense emotional and existential crisis, who likely soaked in some pretty traumatic stuff in a war
Comment
-
Getting rid of belongings before committing suicide or doing something profoundly self destructive is common.
In my hometown, there was a woman who was getting rid of all her stuff and left notes about her own disillusionment. She would answer her front door naked and exhibit other bizarre behaviors before she murdered her entire family and committed suicide in the midst of a psychotic break. (She was frankly psychotic.)
The problem is that people don't understand how mental illness manifests itself.
The guy was depressed and maybe even psychotic. The Taliban described him as "acting strangely" and so on. What is the Taliban's motivation for describing him as having strange behavior?
I have had scores of patients who come in and initially seem rational and normal but later begin to describe all kinds of auditory hallucinations and clearly have psychotic episodes and severe mental illness.
Even if there is just a chance that this guy was having a psychotic break, people should lay off until they have a better idea of what was going on.That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens
http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug
Comment
-
No that's not what I said. The military justice system can decide whether or not it was desertion. I think it is very obviousOriginally posted by imanihonjin View PostPerhaps....but if I understand what you are saying, desertion is never a possibility because someone who leaves their post must be mentally ill. Is that correct?
clearly he reached an intense breaking point. Walking out into the Afgan wilderness is not a emotionally healthy thing to do.Originally posted by SoonerCoug View PostGetting rid of belongings before committing suicide or doing something profoundly self destructive is common.
In my hometown, there was a woman who was getting rid of all her stuff and left notes about her own disillusionment. She would answer her front door naked and exhibit other bizarre behaviors before she murdered her entire family and committed suicide in the midst of a psychotic break. (She was frankly psychotic.)
The problem is that people don't understand how mental illness manifests itself.
The guy was depressed and maybe even psychotic. The Taliban described him as "acting strangely" and so on. What is the Taliban's motivation for describing him as having strange behavior?
I have had scores of patients who come in and initially seem rational and normal but later begin to describe all kinds of auditory hallucinations and clearly have psychotic episodes and severe mental illness.
Even if there is just a chance that this guy was having a psychotic break, people should lay off until they have a better idea of what was going on.
Comment
-
I watched a program last night about a forest in the foothills of Mt Fuji (someone on here certainly knows about this better than I do) which had become an unofficial suicide destination for many Japanese. Very sad to see the process of those still struggling right up to the point of suicide.Originally posted by SoonerCoug View PostGetting rid of belongings before committing suicide or doing something profoundly self destructive is common.
In my hometown, there was a woman who was getting rid of all her stuff and left notes about her own disillusionment. She would answer her front door naked and exhibit other bizarre behaviors before she murdered her entire family and committed suicide in the midst of a psychotic break. (She was frankly psychotic.)
The problem is that people don't understand how mental illness manifests itself.
The guy was depressed and maybe even psychotic. The Taliban described him as "acting strangely" and so on. What is the Taliban's motivation for describing him as having strange behavior?
I have had scores of patients who come in and initially seem rational and normal but later begin to describe all kinds of auditory hallucinations and clearly have psychotic episodes and severe mental illness.
Even if there is just a chance that this guy was having a psychotic break, people should lay off until they have a better idea of what was going on."Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault
"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors
Comment
-
There was a vice doc on that forest. Pretty tough.Originally posted by Blueintheface View PostI watched a program last night about a forest in the foothills of Mt Fuji (someone on here certainly knows about this better than I do) which had become an unofficial suicide destination for many Japanese. Very sad to see the process of those still struggling right up to the point of suicide.
Comment
-
Clearly eh? It appears to me that those who have actually met him, served alongside him and also witnessed the horrors of war do not seem to share either yours or Sooner's analysis or your sympathy, why does anyone think that be?Originally posted by frank ryan View PostNo that's not what I said. The military justice system can decide whether or not it was desertion. I think it is very obvious
clearly he reached an intense breaking point. Walking out into the Afgan wilderness is not a emotionally healthy thing to do.
I will guard everything within the limits of my post and only quit when properly relieved. Those words are not a recommendation, they are an ORDER. Real shitty time in his combat buddies lives for him to start acting emotionally unhealthy.Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
-General George S. Patton
I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
-DOCTOR Wuap
Comment
-
Poor understanding of mental illness is the norm in America. The military is no exception.Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View PostClearly eh? It appears to me that those who have actually met him, served alongside him and also witnessed the horrors of war do not seem to share either yours or Sooner's analysis or your sympathy, why does anyone think that be?That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens
http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug
Comment
-
The more important statistic is that we, the "freest" country in the world, have imprisoned 1% of our population--more than any country in history. About 60% of those prisoners are mentally ill. Americans generally don't care. They just want them locked up. We are a punitive culture--something probably related to Puritanism / religion. Is it any coincidence that Mormonism--the American religion--is so punitive toward its members for their sins? (Constant penalties--withholding recommends, disfellowshipping, excommunicating). Hell, just look at cougarboard if you have any doubts about the punitive nature of Mormon culture.Originally posted by creekster View PostI bet 97% of scientists agree on that one too!Last edited by SoonerCoug; 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM.That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens
http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug
Comment
-
I can't do that. I was banned for stuff I posted on Cougarguard, a completely different board.Originally posted by SoonerCoug View PostHell, just look at cougarboard if you have any doubts about the punitive nature of Mormon culture.When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
--Jonathan Swift
Comment
-
Ya, I think that is pretty clear.Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View PostClearly eh? It appears to me that those who have actually met him, served alongside him and also witnessed the horrors of war do not seem to share either yours or Sooner's analysis or your sympathy, why does anyone think that be?
I will guard everything within the limits of my post and only quit when properly relieved. Those words are not a recommendation, they are an ORDER. Real shitty time in his combat buddies lives for him to start acting emotionally unhealthy.
Comment
-
It sounds like the Taliban may be helping President Obama with promise to shutdown Gitmo:
[...]
Asked whether the Taliban would be inspired by the exchange to kidnap others, he [an anonymous senior Taliban commander] laughs. “Definitely,” he says. “It’s better to kidnap one person like Bergdahl than kidnapping hundreds of useless people. It has encouraged our people. Now everybody will work hard to capture such an important bird.”
If a crazy soldier that went AWOL is worth five high ranking Taliban then imagine what a non-crazy one would be worth."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
Comment