What's right with Texas?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37986

    #496
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post

    Our ward is back to meeting every week in person for the two-hour block. They are still broadcasting Sacrament Meeting (excluding the ordinance), Elder's Quorum, Relief Society, and Gospel Doctrine over Zoom for those who don't feel comfortable attending in person yet.
    Strange, we alternating between RS and EQ each week after Sac, with youth groups pretty much going each week (alternating SS and YM/YW). But then this week, our area presidency called us to repentance and rolled us back to Sac only, no 2nd hour meetings.

    I recognize that a lot of these decisions need to be based on the situation on the ground, but Idaho has the highest positivity rate in the nation at 24.3% (!!!) while Nevada is at 4.9.

    In the words of Little John from the Disney Robinhood cartoon, who's drivin' this flying umbrella?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21141

      #497
      Originally posted by falafel View Post

      Strange, we alternating between RS and EQ each week after Sac, with youth groups pretty much going each week (alternating SS and YM/YW). But then this week, our area presidency called us to repentance and rolled us back to Sac only, no 2nd hour meetings.

      I recognize that a lot of these decisions need to be based on the situation on the ground, but Idaho has the highest positivity rate in the nation at 24.3% (!!!) while Nevada is at 4.9.

      In the words of Little John from the Disney Robinhood cartoon, who's drivin' this flying umbrella?
      I think the Bishop is the biggest proponent. We're still staying at home.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #498
        Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

        Because, FREEDOM!
        Yes! In Texas you are free to wear 10 masks and lock yourself in the basement just like Joe, if you would like. In fact, I am recommending that to all my Dem friends. The less people in my favorite restaurants the better.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Moliere
          One man.....one pie
          • Oct 2009
          • 27880

          #499
          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          I will never understand the general GOP aversion to masks. I understand the desire to open up again. That's somewhat defensible given the drop in Texas cases (still shouldn't be 100% yet though). But c'mon, masks?!? Such a pointless political statement.

          Make it a compromise. Wear the masks and we'll keep rolling out openings.
          But a compromise shows weakness and we can't show weakness

          The GOP is dumb about this. But, to be honest, I had no idea Texas wasn't 100% open anyway. Every restaurant around me is open and every store is open. If there are limits to people going in buildings we either aren't hitting those limits or the limits are being ignored. Even our movie theaters are open if you want to watch The Notebook or some other random movie from two decades ago.

          I think this declaration is two month too early. If we were over 50% vaccinated then I'd be more fine with it but part of me also thinks Abbott is making a somewhat-strategic calculation. There was very little movement in Texas a week ago due to the ice storm. Vaccinations are accelerating. I'm thinking with the decline in cases over the past month and the coming decline due to the shutins for a week that cases will continue to drop until more people are vaccinated and then they'll stay down with warmer weather coming. He's making a calculated political call, which is dangerous...but it's the GOP way. But I think I'd prefer this over keeping everything shuttered for another six months like I"m sure California and New York will do.

          One silver lining from this is that it's brought back the crazy mask debates on teh local school district FB page. That's always fun and has been missed a bit since it calmed down last summer.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

          Comment

          • BigFatMeanie
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 7114

            #500
            I honestly don't understand how "opening up 100%" will be that much different than before the mask mandate. What can one now do sans mask that one couldn't do with masks?

            I live in Utah and I can't think of too much that I'm restricted from doing as long as I mask up. The only things I can think of are:

            BYU closed down fan attendance at sporting events.
            Salt Lake County closed down public arts venues like Abravanel Hall and the Capitol Theatre.

            Pretty much nothing else impacted my life except for the minor annoyance of having to mask up. Small price to pay. Texans elected fools for their state/local governments.

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #501
              Originally posted by Moliere View Post

              But a compromise shows weakness and we can't show weakness

              The GOP is dumb about this. But, to be honest, I had no idea Texas wasn't 100% open anyway. Every restaurant around me is open and every store is open. If there are limits to people going in buildings we either aren't hitting those limits or the limits are being ignored. Even our movie theaters are open if you want to watch The Notebook or some other random movie from two decades ago.

              I think this declaration is two month too early. If we were over 50% vaccinated then I'd be more fine with it but part of me also thinks Abbott is making a somewhat-strategic calculation. There was very little movement in Texas a week ago due to the ice storm. Vaccinations are accelerating. I'm thinking with the decline in cases over the past month and the coming decline due to the shutins for a week that cases will continue to drop until more people are vaccinated and then they'll stay down with warmer weather coming. He's making a calculated political call, which is dangerous...but it's the GOP way. But I think I'd prefer this over keeping everything shuttered for another six months like I"m sure California and New York will do.

              One silver lining from this is that it's brought back the crazy mask debates on teh local school district FB page. That's always fun and has been missed a bit since it calmed down last summer.
              Thanks to the Harris Administration's Operation Warp Speed everyone is going to have the vaccine by May: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-by-end-of-may We will be at 50% like next week.

              And they did this without having any vaccines when they took over from Drumpf and they had to start from scratch: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...rting-scratch/



              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27880

                #502
                The local school district announced they will continue to follow TEA guidelines, which require masks in the school building and social distancing. Some parents are already announcing they are going to sue the school district if their kids are forced to wear masks.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #503
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  The local school district announced they will continue to follow TEA guidelines, which require masks in the school building and social distancing. Some parents are already announcing they are going to sue the school district if their kids are forced to wear masks.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  You should suggest they move to Idaho: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article249636423.html
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • beefytee
                    Board eye candy
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 7542

                    #504
                    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    We will be at 50% like next week.
                    Well, except that is take 6 weeks to achieve immunity with the moderna vaccine. I got my first one yesterday. Next appointment is 28 days from that. 2 weeks after that I should be good.

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #505
                      Originally posted by beefytee View Post

                      Well, except that is take 6 weeks to achieve immunity with the moderna vaccine. I got my first one yesterday. Next appointment is 28 days from that. 2 weeks after that I should be good.
                      You should have opt'ed for the J&J vaccine... one and done!
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69703

                        #506
                        Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                        You should have opt'ed for the J&J vaccine... one and done!
                        New study out of Israel shows that the Pfizer vaccine only needs one dose and can be safely stored in a normal freezer. I wonder if this will change things.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21141

                          #507
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                          New study out of Israel shows that the Pfizer vaccine only needs one dose and can be safely stored in a normal freezer. I wonder if this will change things.
                          How does the effectiveness of a single dose compare to the primer and booster dose regimen?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • beefytee
                            Board eye candy
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 7542

                            #508
                            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                            You should have opt'ed for the J&J vaccine... one and done!
                            I'm fine waiting for the 95% effectiveness.. It is Texas that is anxious.

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #509
                              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              I will never understand the general GOP aversion to masks. I understand the desire to open up again. That's somewhat defensible given the drop in Texas cases (still shouldn't be 100% yet though). But c'mon, masks?!? Such a pointless political statement.

                              Make it a compromise. Wear the masks and we'll keep rolling out openings.


                              I think the Harris Administration should mandate these space helmets.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #510
                                Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                                But a compromise shows weakness and we can't show weakness

                                The GOP is dumb about this. But, to be honest, I had no idea Texas wasn't 100% open anyway. Every restaurant around me is open and every store is open. If there are limits to people going in buildings we either aren't hitting those limits or the limits are being ignored. Even our movie theaters are open if you want to watch The Notebook or some other random movie from two decades ago.

                                I think this declaration is two month too early. If we were over 50% vaccinated then I'd be more fine with it but part of me also thinks Abbott is making a somewhat-strategic calculation. There was very little movement in Texas a week ago due to the ice storm. Vaccinations are accelerating. I'm thinking with the decline in cases over the past month and the coming decline due to the shutins for a week that cases will continue to drop until more people are vaccinated and then they'll stay down with warmer weather coming. He's making a calculated political call, which is dangerous...but it's the GOP way. But I think I'd prefer this over keeping everything shuttered for another six months like I"m sure California and New York will do.

                                One silver lining from this is that it's brought back the crazy mask debates on teh local school district FB page. That's always fun and has been missed a bit since it calmed down last summer.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...