TDK shooting in Aurora

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Danimal
    Junior Member
    • May 2009
    • 387

    #46
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm interested in arguments coming from both sides of the gun debate as they comment on this horrific event. Predictably, the gun control types insist stricter laws would have prevented this (see, e.g., HuffPo). Equally predictable, others say that if one or more in the audience had been carrying, they could have taken the guy out long before 72 had been killed or injured.

    I'm unconvinced stricter laws would have prevented this guy from getting weapons. On the other hand, the guy was wearing all sorts of protective gear and with the smoke and tear gas billowing in the theater, I wonder if more guns would have added to, not reduced, the carnage.
    Between the gas, his protective gear, the total chaos, the darkness of the theatre, and the number of rounds he was getting off, I don't think that even professionals would have been able to do much at the time.

    Comment

    • Commando
      Explosivo
      • Feb 2009
      • 20748

      #47
      Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
      How did they catch the guy? I am having a hard time finding it...
      He gave himself up when police showed up.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #48
        Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        This movie was a preview for the TDK. During the preview it has a scne where gansters shoot up a movie theatre.

        It looks like Warner Bro's has pulled the preview from TDK now. I don't blame them in this not happening quickly. I believe this is attached to TDK reel so this could be a costly expense....

        To think these people watched this preview prior to the movie and then it happened to them in real life..

        Preview:
        [YOUTUBE]ZBa5gPI6zgQ[/YOUTUBE]
        I didn't get that trailer last night. Just Resident Evil, the Hobbit, and some other.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • DU Ute
          RIP CUF
          • Dec 2008
          • 7393

          #49
          Originally posted by Commando View Post
          I didn't get that trailer last night. Just Resident Evil, the Hobbit, and some other.
          I saw an article saying it wasn't tied to the film and was only slated to be shown in about 30% of theaters.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

          Comment

          • Uncle Ted
            The Big 12 money shot.
            • Apr 2010
            • 28853

            #50
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            I'm interested in arguments coming from both sides of the gun debate as they comment on this horrific event. Predictably, the gun control types insist stricter laws would have prevented this (see, e.g., HuffPo). Equally predictable, others say that if one or more in the audience had been carrying, they could have taken the guy out long before 72 had been killed or injured.

            I'm unconvinced stricter laws would have prevented this guy from getting weapons. On the other hand, the guy was wearing all sorts of protective gear and with the smoke and tear gas billowing in the theater, I wonder if more guns would have added to, not reduced, the carnage.
            Yes, go down to the Mexican boarder and see how their stricter gun laws are working out. Stricter gun laws just disarms the good guys. Of course, it doesn't help with our ATF/DoJ is giving their bad guys guns.

            I believe a good balance gun laws includes requiring training on how to properly use a gun and demonstrating proficiency on the range.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Scorcho
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 835

              #51
              The gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in 1994 by country were as follows:

              U.S.A. 14.24
              Brazil 12.95
              Mexico 12.69
              Argentina 8.93
              Switzerland 5.31
              France 5.15
              Canada 4.31
              Ireland 0.97
              Spain 0.78
              Netherlands 0.70
              Scotland 0.54
              England and Wales 0.41
              Taiwan 0.37
              Singapore 0.21
              Mauritius 0.19
              Hong Kong 0.14
              South Korea 0.12
              Japan 0.05
              I don't know why so many Americans insist on believing it's still the Wild, Wild West of the 1800's. The 2nd Ammendment is such an outdated notion.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #52
                Shooter graduated from UC Riverside with a degree in neuroscience. Then went to med school in Colorado to study neurology of some sort, but dropped out last month. One of the most educated infamous murderers in my lifetime, save Unibomber.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Non Sequitur
                  Where did I put my bodkin
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5773

                  #53
                  Was talking with one my colleagues from India today. He said it's common in India for movie theaters to have metal detectors. I think we're headed there.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                  Comment

                  • Colly Wolly
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 1824

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                    Was talking with one my colleagues from India today. He said it's common in India for movie theaters to have metal detectors. I think we're headed there.
                    Cool. That way no one can bust back when someone leaves out of an emergency exit, props open the door, then comes back and starts shooting. Like this incident.

                    Comment

                    • DU Ute
                      RIP CUF
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 7393

                      #55
                      I don't get the people lamenting the fact there was no one with a concealed weapon to stop this. What happens if two people start shooting back in the smoke and darkness. What about 5 people? 10? I'm more worried about seeing this movie than I was yesterday. Not because of potential copycats, but because of a higher likelihood of nervous, stupid people with a gun and something to prove sitting next to me.
                      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                      Comment

                      • Colly Wolly
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 1824

                        #56
                        Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                        I don't get the people lamenting the fact there was no one with a concealed weapon to stop this. What happens if two people start shooting back in the smoke and darkness. What about 5 people? 10? I'm more worried about seeing this movie than I was yesterday. Not because of potential copycats, but because of a higher likelihood of nervous, stupid people with a gun and something to prove sitting next to me.
                        Why do you presume that people who have carry permits are nervous, stupid people? Do you live in Utah? If so, I will pay the fees for you to get your permit, gun owner or not. I think it would be beneficial for you to sit the class and go through the process. Might help you get a better understanding of the mindsets of individuals who choose to go through the legal process to allow them to legally carry.

                        DM me if interested.

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #57
                          Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
                          Why do you presume that people who have carry permits are nervous, stupid people? Do you live in Utah? If so, I will pay the fees for you to get your permit, gun owner or not. I think it would be beneficial for you to sit the class and go through the process. Might help you get a better understanding of the mindsets of individuals who choose to go through the legal process to allow them to legally carry.

                          DM me if interested.
                          Well, I would recommend something other than an Utah CHL class. The Utah CHL makes me a bit nervous because it doesn't require things like demonstrating proficiency on the range. In Texas you have to prove that you can shoot a gun (unless you get an Utah CHL). There has been some talk about pulling Utah's reciprocity and closing the loophole for getting "cheap and easy" CHLs.



                          DENTON - In Texas, the law requires people to shoot a handgun before they get a license. But, WFAA has found in the past 18 months, nearly 6,000 Texans have gotten a gun license without ever pulling a trigger. Now, a lawmaker is calling for change on the license to carry.

                          Concealed-carry permits from Utah are popular in Texas, and it's not hard to see why. Utah requires less than half the class time, has no written test, requires no live shooting and you don't even have to leave Texas to get one. But, that may be changing.

                          [...]
                          As for carry my gun into a movie theater situation like this I would rather have my gun than not have my gun. If I still got shot and died then I would have done so knowing at least I had a fighting chance. The police are not going to help you in a situation like this. They will save their own butt before they do anything about yours.

                          The more I think about it the more I would rather not even be in a situation like this and avoid it all together. Thank god for things like bit torrent.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #58
                            Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                            Was talking with one my colleagues from India today. He said it's common in India for movie theaters to have metal detectors. I think we're headed there.
                            And metal detectors will stop all guns from entering a public place like a movie theater? The only thing that fancy metal detectors, x-ray machines, and other security devices do is create a security theater and raise ticket prices for everyone.

                            [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater"]Security theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • DU Ute
                              RIP CUF
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 7393

                              #59
                              Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
                              Why do you presume that people who have carry permits are nervous, stupid people? Do you live in Utah? If so, I will pay the fees for you to get your permit, gun owner or not. I think it would be beneficial for you to sit the class and go through the process. Might help you get a better understanding of the mindsets of individuals who choose to go through the legal process to allow them to legally carry.

                              DM me if interested.
                              I don't think they all are, I don't even think most of them are. I think it is foolish to think that none of them are. I saw someone say something to the effect that if he were in that theater he wouldn't have leg the smoke and the dark deter him, he would have "put some lead down range". Great, am I supposed to feel safer with this moron "protecting" me?
                              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
                                The gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in 1994 by country were as follows:

                                U.S.A. 14.24
                                Brazil 12.95
                                Mexico 12.69
                                Argentina 8.93
                                Switzerland 5.31
                                France 5.15
                                Canada 4.31
                                Ireland 0.97
                                Spain 0.78
                                Netherlands 0.70
                                Scotland 0.54
                                England and Wales 0.41
                                Taiwan 0.37
                                Singapore 0.21
                                Mauritius 0.19
                                Hong Kong 0.14
                                South Korea 0.12
                                Japan 0.05
                                I don't know why so many Americans insist on believing it's still the Wild, Wild West of the 1800's. The 2nd Ammendment is such an outdated notion.
                                Practically everyone in Switzerland has a gun, they have very few restrictions on buying guns and has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world. Why are they not high on this list? On the other hand, places like Mexico which is on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to gun laws and gun ownership. Why are they not at the bottom? Maybe the solution is to develop a different thinking about guns in this country like the Swiss.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...