Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yep.

You never know what constraints were imposed on the jury. Or the full body of information they were asked to consider. Sure, juries do dumb things (OJ Simpson), but it always concerns me when we rip juries based on a short youtube video.
    a short youtube video that shows the entire incident?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
      a short youtube video that shows the entire incident?
      Yeah, I guess we have the technology now to dismantle the jury system and replace it with social media. We could throw videos up on YouTube and after two weeks look at the thumbs up versus thumbs down to determine guilt or innocence. What could possibly go wrong?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Has a policeman ever died in a situation like the one shown in that video because he was insufficiently cautious? Of course.

Honestly it seems like how the police are going to conduct themselves in these situations depends on what very small risk the police are willing to take with a suspect like this.

Was there a risk that this guy was going to pull a gun out of his back waistband and open fire? I would say offhand maybe 1 in 10,000 risk or so. Was there a risk that somebody else would come out in the hall and open fire? Probably a little higher risk of that I’d say.

We look at that video in the comfort of our own homes and just see a harmless, scared shitless, intoxicated guy about to be killed mercilessly but it’s impossible to replicate the state of mind of the cops in the video who have worked themselves up to believing they are about to experience a worst case scenario of being killed themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

We look at that video in the comfort of our own homes and just see a harmless, scared shitless, intoxicated guy about to be killed mercilessly but it’s impossible to replicate the state of mind of the cops in the video who have worked themselves up to believing they are about to experience a worst case scenario of being killed themselves.
          Agreed, but, game wardens come into contact with drunk, armed people all the time, and this doesn't happen. The way we handle people in situations is important. There needs to be some consequence to using your firearm, like losing the policing power, that makes cops not be fucking assholes to people and escalate a situation so badly that they wind up shooting someone.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• As much as I disliked Covey, 'Seek to understand before seeking to be understood' is one of the most universal pieces of wisdom there is. Nobody will look at the video and think the cop is innocent. Before rushing to judgement, though, we really should try to figure out why the jury (and the judge) made the decision they did. There's still a good chance we'll think the cop should have been convicted, but true justice dictates that we know to the greatest extent possible what everyone involved was basing their decision on.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              As much as I disliked Covey, 'Seek to understand before seeking to be understood' is one of the most universal pieces of wisdom there is. Nobody will look at the video and think the cop is innocent. Before rushing to judgement, though, we really should try to figure out why the jury (and the judge) made the decision they did. There's still a good chance we'll think the cop should have been convicted, but true justice dictates that we know to the greatest extent possible what everyone involved was basing their decision on.
              You should listen to the podcast I linked to above. It discusses the current standard by which police are tried. It ia based on a case that went to the Supreme Court. And by the way they tell it, it has led to significant unintended consequences.

I am sympathetic to the argument that racism plays a role in some of these non-convictions. But after listening to the podcast, I'm thinking that the narrow legal scope by which police abuse is presented in court might be the major reason why so few are convicted.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                Has a policeman ever died in a situation like the one shown in that video because he was insufficiently cautious? Of course.

Honestly it seems like how the police are going to conduct themselves in these situations depends on what very small risk the police are willing to take with a suspect like this.

Was there a risk that this guy was going to pull a gun out of his back waistband and open fire? I would say offhand maybe 1 in 10,000 risk or so. Was there a risk that somebody else would come out in the hall and open fire? Probably a little higher risk of that I’d say.

He did 100%of what he was told, even though he was told contradictory things with a gun pointed at him, and still was shot really for no reason. Why is it the dude acted 100% correctly but still the gop gets the benefit of doubt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                  He did 100%of what he was told, even though he was told contradictory things with a gun pointed at him, and still was shot really for no reason. Why is it the dude acted 100% correctly but still the gop gets the benefit of doubt?
                  I think the cops were following some type of training or protocol that tells them they should get the guy to move to a place that makes the situation safer for them. Sure I agree that when viewed by us out of context on the interwebs it’s totally crazy and evil to ask a drunk guy to crawl with his legs crossed and then shoot him when he tries to pull his pants up.

Seems like they should just say “Get down on your face and spread eagle and don’t move.” And then one cop cuffs him while the other cop covers his partner.

I’m not comfortable defending these idiot cops, but I think everybody has to acknowledge that there is danger and high emotion involved in the moment that mitigates this to some degree..

Comment

• What in the hell?!? Online gamers call in a hoax hostage situation against another gamer, and he is killed at his door.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/cri...192111974.html

Most of the blame goes to the idiots who called the hoax. I hope they are sorely afflicted by this until the end of their days. And I see calls for the COD servers to be shut down, at least temporarily.

But still, isn't there room for improvement for the police? Did he have to be shot at his door?
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      What in the hell?!? Online gamers call in a hoax hostage situation against another gamer, and he is killed at his door.

Most of the blame goes to the idiots who called the hoax. I hope they are sorely afflicted by this until the end of their days. And I see calls for the COD servers to be shut down, at least temporarily.

But still, isn't there room for improvement for the police? Did he have to be shot at his door?
                      called swatting, happens frequently
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        What in the hell?!? Online gamers call in a hoax hostage situation against another gamer, and he is killed at his door.

It’s a disgusting thing among the gamer/4chan/altright community. The same people who complain who’ve really raised the issues of sjws and snowflakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          It’s a disgusting thing among the gamer/4chan/altright community. The same people who complain who’ve really raised the issues of sjws and snowflakes.
                          Yes, it's only the 4chan weirdos who do this:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-david-french

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...wat-ing-077292
                          Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 12-29-2017, 11:46 AM.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Insanity. I can't believe this is a thing.
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              Yes, clearly I said only.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                Yes, clearly I said only.
                                Oh, such pedantry!
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X