The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #616
    Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    How long will it be until we start seeing cases of defense attorneys selling the defense that a defendant killed/injured a cop due to self defense in an incident in which the defendant attacked first?

    There are starting to be more and more incidents of people being arrested and seriously injured or killed in the process. Even situations in which the person being arrested was not resisting.

    I won't be surprised when someone uses the defense that they knew there was a warrant out for their arrest or that they were in the wrong, but they've seen what happens when someone is arrested and the harm that the police do - so they felt the need to harm the police first so that they could get away. Maybe even a case of someone who was arrested in the past and experienced some abuse at the hands of police, and were afraid of it escalating.

    Could be wrong on this. Could be very wrong. But it won't surprise me if/when it happens.

    Might get a chance to test your theory when the cop killers in Mississippi go on trial.

    Comment

    • Green Monstah
      Royal Rooter
      • Aug 2010
      • 13955

      #617
      This is probably the craziest police brawl I've ever seen.

      Not sure this fits in this thread, since the use of violence is justified in this instance, but a nomadic Christian family got into an argument with a Wal-Mart employee in Cottonwood, AZ. Police are called, backup arrives, and all hell breaks loose. The big kid in the gray t-shirt fighting the family is a Wal-Mart loss prevention officer and does his part to help the cops out. An officer gets shot in the leg, one of the sons is shot in the head, and another is shot in the abdomen (the kid in all black), but you can't tell he took a bullet based on the video.

      [YOUTUBE]fZHIZC6veVY[/YOUTUBE]
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69703

        #618
        That is insane. Amazing that more people weren't shot.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • San Juan Sun
          Kicked to the curb
          • Dec 2009
          • 9214

          #619
          Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          This is probably the craziest police brawl I've ever seen.

          Not sure this fits in this thread, since the use of violence is justified in this instance, but a nomadic Christian family got into an argument with a Wal-Mart employee in Cottonwood, AZ. Police are called, backup arrives, and all hell breaks loose. The big kid in the gray t-shirt fighting the family is a Wal-Mart loss prevention officer and does his part to help the cops out. An officer gets shot in the leg, one of the sons is shot in the head, and another is shot in the abdomen (the kid in all black), but you can't tell he took a bullet based on the video.

          [YOUTUBE]fZHIZC6veVY[/YOUTUBE]
          I think he gets the brawl MVP award. That kid was mixing it up with everyone until shots get fired. What was the original argument about?
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

          - Ty Cobb

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69703

            #620
            Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
            I think he gets the brawl MVP award. That kid was mixing it up with everyone until shots get fired. What was the original argument about?
            They assaulted someone inside the walmart.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25268

              #621
              Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
              I think he gets the brawl MVP award. That kid was mixing it up with everyone until shots get fired. What was the original argument about?
              IIRC, the nomads stole some things from Wal-Mart and the loss prevention guy confronted them. When they ignored him, he called the cops.

              EDIT: That's right, it was an assault.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • Y84it
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 549

                #622
                Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                This is probably the craziest police brawl I've ever seen.

                Not sure this fits in this thread, since the use of violence is justified in this instance, but a nomadic Christian family got into an argument with a Wal-Mart employee in Cottonwood, AZ. Police are called, backup arrives, and all hell breaks loose. The big kid in the gray t-shirt fighting the family is a Wal-Mart loss prevention officer and does his part to help the cops out. An officer gets shot in the leg, one of the sons is shot in the head, and another is shot in the abdomen (the kid in all black), but you can't tell he took a bullet based on the video.

                [YOUTUBE]fZHIZC6veVY[/YOUTUBE]

                I will never understand why people do what they do. Listen to the cops and all of that could have been resolved without incident. Also shocking that the cops couldn't contain that faster. That family just kept coming.
                ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69703

                  #623
                  Originally posted by Y84it View Post
                  I will never understand why people do what they do. Listen to the cops and all of that could have been resolved without incident. Also shocking that the cops couldn't contain that faster. That family just kept coming.
                  That was my thought as well. Either that family is superhuman or those cops all need to go back to basic training. They need more tasers, more cuffs, more clubs, and better fighting tactics. Geez, couldn't they just mace them all?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Green Monstah
                    Royal Rooter
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13955

                    #624
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    That was my thought as well. Either that family is superhuman or those cops all need to go back to basic training. They need more tasers, more cuffs, more clubs, and better fighting tactics. Geez, couldn't they just mace them all?
                    There's a youtube video of the police chief that explains some of this. The family rolled out of every taser (except for one dude, who gets up once the electricity stops) and they were able to wipe their eyes. The cops busted one dudes arm with the night stick, and he kept fighting. Also, the family used eyes and ears and hair to pull cops off one other members of the family.
                    Last edited by Green Monstah; 05-14-2015, 02:09 PM.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                    Comment

                    • Art Vandelay
                      Striving for mediocrity
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 10516

                      #625
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      That was my thought as well. Either that family is superhuman or those cops all need to go back to basic training. They need more tasers, more cuffs, more clubs, and better fighting tactics. Geez, couldn't they just mace them all?
                      As an armchair quarterback, that seems to be the case in the vast majority of the fatal shootings. I would imagine one of the primary differences of a highly trained hostage negotiator/secret service/fbi agent versus the local police force is the understanding, and more importantly the experience in how to deescalate a volatile situation. In fairness to the officers above, I doubt anyone would have guessed the Wal-mart gypsies would combust on contact.

                      I'm curious how a video like this becomes public. It appears it is from the officers camera. Is this something the city releases, or can an average citizen request to see it, like a public document?

                      Comment

                      • Art Vandelay
                        Striving for mediocrity
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 10516

                        #626
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        That was my thought as well. Either that family is superhuman or those cops all need to go back to basic training. They need more tasers, more cuffs, more clubs, and better fighting tactics. Geez, couldn't they just mace them all?
                        As an armchair quarterback, that seems to be the case in the vast majority of the fatal shootings. I would imagine one of the primary differences of a highly trained hostage negotiator/secret service/fbi agent versus the local police force is the understanding, and more importantly the experience in how to deescalate a volatile situation. In fairness to the officers above, I doubt anyone would have guessed the Wal-mart gypsies would combust on contact.

                        I'm curious how a video like this becomes public. It appears it is from the officers camera. Is this something the city releases, or can an average citizen request to see it, like a public document?

                        Comment

                        • old_gregg
                          scaly man fish
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 16915

                          #627
                          the cops should have shot the lot of them
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #628
                            nomadic Christian families
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #629
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              nomadic Christian families
                              It just seems to me that they are really more likely itinerant than they are nomadic.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #630
                                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                It just seems to me that they are really more likely itinerant than they are nomadic.
                                likely itinerant, possibly nomadic Christian families
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...