The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    is there any evidence that collateral damage is more likely to occur on, say, a 15th shot vs a 3rd shot? it seems like nonsense to me that a non-negligent discharge of a gun by a properly trained cop is riskier when he shoots one more shot. the risk of not putting the guy on the ground far outweighs that risk by a lot.
    It's simple mathematics. No doubt there are certain situations in which the risk is higher, but there are no situations where the risk is 0. The more you shoot, the more you multiply that risk.

I suppose we disagree on number two, but why should we expect that to be any different than the rest. You could have said that for any point.

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    and sometimes it takes a magazine to "stop" a guy on pcp.
    Yes no doubt sometimes it does. Was this one of those cases?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      Third police shoot to stop, not to kill.
      Which is why they are trained to shoot at ankles instead of double-taps at center mass. :crazy::crazy:

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Which is why they are trained to shoot at ankles instead of double-taps at center mass. :crazy::crazy:
        Not just ankles. I remember doing the shoot the gun or knife out of the perp's hand drill when I was on the range. Then there's all the warning shots too.

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out (WARNING: NSFW Language):

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• The Police Brutality Thread

Can someone tell me what a spalpeen is? Should I be offended? Is ignorance bliss? Will I have to google it? It's almost like wuap's post is literature!

I haven't been reading this thread much. I missed a lot. Which could be my epitaph.
            Last edited by creekster; 12-22-2015, 08:57 PM.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              Can someone tell me what a spalpeen is? Should I be offended? Is ignorance bliss? Will I have to google it? It's almost like wuap's post is literature!

I haven't been reading this thread much. I missed a lot. Which could be my epitaph.
              You rascal.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• You've probably seen Facebook links to this. I'm not making any social commentary with it other than to point out that there are some decent cops out there. I've been pulled over a number of times, and I always inform the officer where my handgun is, what it is, and that it's not chambered. They always just tell me to keep my hands in sight and leave it at that. Being a white guy with a cowboy hat in a truck in Wyoming, that isn't really noteworthy, but a black guy carrying and being let go with a warning is different, and evidence that there are still sensible cops out there.

Hildreth’s Facebook post has been shared more than 325,000 times.

So, I’m driving to my office to turn in my weekly paperwork. A headlight is out. I see a Tucson Police Department squad vehicle turn around and follow me. I’m already preparing for the stop.

The lights go on and I pull over. The officer asks me how I’m doing, and then asks if I have any weapons.

“Yes, sir. I’m a concealed carry permit holder and my weapon is located on my right hip. My wallet is in my back-right pocket.”

The officer explains for his safety and mine, he needs to disarm me for the stop. I understand, and I unlock the vehicle. I explain that I’m running a 7TS ALS holster but from the angle, the second officer can’t unholster it. Lead officer asks me to step out, and I do so slowly. Officer relieves me of my Glock and compliments the X300U I’m running on it. He also sees my military ID and I tell him I’m with the National Guard.

Lead officer points out my registration card is out of date but he knows my registration is up to date. He goes back to run my license. I know he’s got me on at least two infractions. I’m thinking of how to pay them.

Officers return with my Glock in an evidence back, locked and cleared. “Because you were cool with us and didn’t give us grief, I’m just going to leave it at a verbal warning. Get that headlight fixed as soon as possible.”

I smile. “Thank you, sir.”

I’m a black man wearing a hoodie and strapped. According to certain social movements, I shouldn’t be alive right now because the police are allegedly out to kill minorities.

Maybe…just maybe…that notion is bunk.

Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you.

Police officers are people, too. By far and large, most are good people and they’re not out to get you.

I’d like to thank those two officers and TPD in general for another professional contact.

We talk so much about the bad apples who shouldn’t be wearing a badge. I’d like to spread the word about an example of men who earned their badges and exemplify what that badge stands for.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Agreed. It will be interesting to hear him articulate his justification for needing to pull her from her car. Prediction: this cop will lose his job for excessive and unwarranted use of force.
                  Swish.

Comment

• There's a story put that Rahm Emanuel's people offered Laquan McDonald's family $5 million to keep quiet about their son's death at the hands of the Chicago police.

Emanuel has maintained he knew nothing about the video, but now emails have surfaced with him discussing the matter during the time of his re-election campaign.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• So I guess when you kill a cop, and have your life ended in a shootout with police, it was brutality that you were killed by the police?

Comment

So I guess when you kill a cop, and have your life ended in a shootout with police, it was brutality that you were killed by the police?

"We did not ask for her prepared speech. She was not part of Utah Against Police Brutality. This was a relative of Dillon Taylor who decided in her speech, which we did not ask her to provide us before, this is all them," said Carly Haldeman, with Utahns Against Police Brutality. "I mean we probably had like 10 to 15 speakers and … we gave them a platform to speak. So I don't think it's right to criticize the organization in itself for a list she chose to read off."
                        Huh?

People are just so stupid. Take responsibility and apologize.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Guy on a bike honks a a driver who is looking down at their phone at a roundabout. The phone looker happens to be a police officer who then lectures the biker for 5 or 6 minutes about how it wasn't unsafe for him to be using his phone and that honking a horn at someone is "road rage".

Some cops make it nearly impossible to not hate cops.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                            Guy on a bike honks a a driver who is looking down at their phone at a roundabout. The phone looker happens to be a police officer who then lectures the biker for 5 or 6 minutes about how it wasn't unsafe for him to be using his phone and that honking a horn at someone is "road rage".

Hypocrisy or irony? Angry road-side middle of the road lecture on road rage.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                              Guy on a bike honks a a driver who is looking down at their phone at a roundabout. The phone looker happens to be a police officer who then lectures the biker for 5 or 6 minutes about how it wasn't unsafe for him to be using his phone and that honking a horn at someone is "road rage".

Cop with a 'tude. Of course the guy on the bike should have just shut up once he encountered the cop with the 'tude.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                Cop with a 'tude. Of course the guy on the bike should have just shut up once he encountered the cop with the 'tude.
                                Yeah, but he acquitted himself well. Never got agitated, never called the cop names. The cop just kept pushing and ended up looking like a jackass. Then, on top of that, the Denver PD came out and said that honking your horn is not considered road range. Haha.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X