No announcement yet.

The Police Brutality Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think sometimes just letting the suspect go makes more sense in a given situation. There are a lot of dangerous people on the streets in Chicago. The cop didn't know the suspect was 13, but nor did he have reason to believe he posed an imminent, continuing or unique risk. People get away with this kind of thing all the time. Prosecutors don't charge every possible crime.

Chasing him down an alley was too dangerous. I'm sure the cop was terrified. Wouldn't you be? The cop didn't think here's an unarmed kid I get to shoot. Somewhere in his subconscious his mind had decided, if this guy turns around, I have to shoot. Then it happened so fast. Less than a second.

Examine the video all you want, it doesn't do justice to the situation and how fast it happened. Like watching the NBA on TV vs being court side.

No reason to take such a risk. Especially when you've got one arrest. Intelligently assessing risks is much what success is about. Policing should be more about that.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Some advice: if a cop is ever chasing you down the street and hollering at you to stop and you want to stop, just stop and raise your arms. Keep your back to him. Don't turn around. Drop any gun you're carrying from your up stretched arm. This should be advice adult criminals give to kids they're corrupting.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Maxine Waters tells rioters to be more confrontational...

Hours later... How's this?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Even if that screen shot is real (I am waiting for that to be verified), did he have a gun when he was shot? Clearly not. The original police statement was that he had a gun in his hand when he was shot. Forgive me if I’m still very skeptical.

Just after I finished reading your tweet about O’Keefe, you post something from Ngo. The two patron Saints of deceptive gotcha journalism. These people have histories. You should know that by now.
          You can count on Ted to give us a steady diet of right-wing grifters, white nationalists and Qanon supporters, but rarely do we get an informed opinion.

Comment

• maxine waters is a horrible person.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              maxine waters is a horrible person.
              Yeah, like many of her democrat colleagues, like the speaker of the house, she is a horrible person.

As for the subject at hand, she may have given the defense a gift when they appeal a possible unfavorable ruling:

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Asked for police protection from the violence she advocated for...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I always to get my news from Bo Snerdly, if possible.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I wonder if those decrying Waters' comments were as vocal in condemning Trump's repeated calls to march on the Capitol and "fight like hell."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      I wonder if those decrying Waters' comments were as vocal in condemning Trump's repeated calls to march on the Capitol and "fight like hell."
                      Likely not but you know the inverse of this is also true. Not sure how to break out of team first politics if neither side will make the principled first move and not point to the other side as justification for their own bad behavior.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        I wonder if those decrying Waters' comments were as vocal in condemning Trump's repeated calls to march on the Capitol and "fight like hell."
                        Duh, of course not.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post

Duh, of course not.
                          Quick, everybody remember to switch sides on incitement of insurrection.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Quick, everybody remember to switch sides on incitement of insurrection.
                            I'm not switching sides. All incendiary comments are not good. I do think comments from the Pres to encourage an attack on congess with the hope of disrupting a transition of executive power is worse though. Guilty as charged there. As bad and irresponsible as it is for a member of Congress to say something that could be taken by some to exercise their anger in a violent way, it's not equivalent to a President who lost the election to say things to his supporters that lead to an attempt to violently overthrow that election
                            Last edited by BlueK; 04-20-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Im not switching sides. All incendiary comments are not good. I do think comments from the Pres to encourage an attack on congess with the hope of disrupting a transition of executive power is worse though. Guilty as charged there.
                              Nor am I. Waters' comments were unnecessary, inflammatory, and wrong. I thought that went without saying, but apparently not. I do think that when our nation's president makes such comments the harm is much greater.

Comment

I'm not switching sides. All incendiary comments are not good. I do think comments from the Pres to encourage an attack on congess with the hope of disrupting a transition of executive power is worse though. Guilty as charged there. As bad and irresponsible as it is for a member of Congress to say something that could be taken by some to exercise their anger in a violent way, it's not equivalent to a President who lost the election to say things to his supporters that lead to an attempt to violently overthrow that election
                                Just a joke. Not directed at anyone in particular here (for the most part CS posters are pretty consistent and even-keeled).
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X