No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running conditions can sure be subjective depending upon the eye of the beholder. I find it funny that at times how you get used to certain conditions and they don't bother you - but they change and you can't do it.

Monday morning (5:45am) I ran in the light snow with a t-shirt covered by a long-sleeve regular weight tech shirt and shorts. Regular cotton socks and my running shoes. I also wore a lightweight fleece beanie and a pair of those lightweight $.99 gloves that you see everywhere.

Usually my hands are a little chilly when I start the run, but then I'm taking off my gloves before I'm done.

When it is really cold I'll wear long pants instead of shorts. Don't have running tights yet.

I'll always see people out wearing less than me - as well as a lot of people wearing more than me.

I love running in the cold weather, and the wet doesn't bother me - I just have to be careful on the corners and hills to not slide. But you get me into summer - and I struggle to run if the temperature gets above about 75 degrees or so. All my running is early morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      Running conditions can sure be subjective depending upon the eye of the beholder. I find it funny that at times how you get used to certain conditions and they don't bother you - but they change and you can't do it.

Monday morning (5:45am) I ran in the light snow with a t-shirt covered by a long-sleeve regular weight tech shirt and shorts. Regular cotton socks and my running shoes. I also wore a lightweight fleece beanie and a pair of those lightweight $.99 gloves that you see everywhere.

Usually my hands are a little chilly when I start the run, but then I'm taking off my gloves before I'm done.

When it is really cold I'll wear long pants instead of shorts. Don't have running tights yet.

I'll always see people out wearing less than me - as well as a lot of people wearing more than me.

I love running in the cold weather, and the wet doesn't bother me - I just have to be careful on the corners and hills to not slide. But you get me into summer - and I struggle to run if the temperature gets above about 75 degrees or so. All my running is early morning.
      I personally don't care what the weather is so long as it's not too hot. I'm a stickler for running gear and so I have all sorts of mix and match items depending on the weather. I've got a tight under armor-ish shirt, a short sleeved shirt, a long-sleeved shirt and a light running jacket. I layer depending on the weather. These are all spandex or some other non-cotton material. When I first started running I wore a cotton t-shirt, which I'll hopefully never do again as it just got drenched in sweat and became really heavy.

I've never worn tights in my life. I run in shorts and shorts only. Even in high school when I ran through a foot of snow I wore shorts. My aversion to tights probably has to do with my track coach, who wore tights with no shorts over them and a t-shirt that usually only came down barely past his belly button . Maybe some day when I get over 40 years old I'll buy a pair of tights but to this day I steer clear of them.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Running conditions can sure be subjective depending upon the eye of the beholder. I find it funny that at times how you get used to certain conditions and they don't bother you - but they change and you can't do it.

I find it funny too. I vary from day to day - yesterday I had tight, shorts, an underarmour turtleneck, winter hat and gloves and froze; I've run a full 10 degrees colder than that in the same outfit and cooked.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
          I personally don't care what the weather is so long as it's not too hot.
          So..... you do care.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            So..... you do care.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I normally wear sweatpants - I don't like shorts, in all weather, T-shirt if it is warm, a turtle neck when it starts cooling off. when it gets down to freezing or so I'll put on a sweat shirt. If it is raining, I'll normally put on some sort of water repellant wind breaker and change the sweatpants to water repellant wind pants. Nothing to specialized

My hands seem to start getting cold when the temp drops below 70, so I'll start wearing a pair of light gloves at that point and the glove will get progressively thicker as the temp drops.

I also always wear some kind of hat - baseball cap in the warm times and a knit cap in the cold ones - that way my dermatologist doesn't get mad at me

If anyone cares, my splits for my walk tonight

mile 1 - 12:31
              mile 2 - 12:48
              mile 3 - 13:47 - went up a small hill
              mile 4 - 13:16
              mile 5 - 13:34
              mile 6 - 13:28

walked about 3/4 mile to cool down
              Last edited by happyone; 12-22-2010, 06:17 AM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I go with layers. I have one thick-ish layer that I wear all winter. Depending on how cold it is I will wear one shirt under and one or two long-sleeve shirt over it. When it gets down below 10 degrees I will put on a sweatshirt. I never wear tights. I have two pair of running pants, one insulated and one not.
                I'm cheap, so most of the shirts I wear are old race shirts and for gloves I have my wife buy these really cheap gloves in the ladies department at Target. They are like 3 pair for a dollar fifty. I layer the gloves too. If it is below 40, I'll wear two pair. Below 20 and I wear two pair and a pair of mittens over them.
                I read somewhere that, in the winter, if you don't start out a little too cold, you will end up being too hot. I think that's true, except when the wind is blowing.

Comment

• Nice wet run this morning - wow it was coming down. Running in the snow isn't bad - it doesn't tend to stick. Running in the rain when it is just barely warm enough to not be snow - was interesting...

I ran with a nylon water repellant wind breaker for the first time - when it is warmer I just run with a tech shirt and don't worry about getting wet. Last winter I ran indoors on a treadmill in bad weather, this year I decided I wanted to tough it out.

It was a little chilly on the fingers at first. My little fleece hat absorbed a surprising amount of water and still managed to keep me warm. The jacket repelled for a while, but was soaked by the time I got home. I might need something a little more waterproof for the future.

Overall it was kind of fun. I forgot to recharge the 305, so I have no idea of my pace or speed - but it felt pretty fast. Particularly the first couple of miles.

Comment

Nice wet run this morning - wow it was coming down. Running in the snow isn't bad - it doesn't tend to stick. Running in the rain when it is just barely warm enough to not be snow - was interesting...

I ran with a nylon water repellant wind breaker for the first time - when it is warmer I just run with a tech shirt and don't worry about getting wet. Last winter I ran indoors on a treadmill in bad weather, this year I decided I wanted to tough it out.

It was a little chilly on the fingers at first. My little fleece hat absorbed a surprising amount of water and still managed to keep me warm. The jacket repelled for a while, but was soaked by the time I got home. I might need something a little more waterproof for the future.

Overall it was kind of fun. I forgot to recharge the 305, so I have no idea of my pace or speed - but it felt pretty fast. Particularly the first couple of miles.
                    I hope it stops raining by the time I go this afternoon The only problem I have with running/walking in the rain is that when my feet get wet they get cold About the only weather that stops me from going out is hail.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                      I hope it stops raining by the time I go this afternoon The only problem I have with running/walking in the rain is that when my feet get wet they get cold About the only weather that stops me from going out is hail.
                      I got a boot dryer for Christmas last year. I have yet to use it for boots. I left my running shoes on it when I headed to work this morning.

When my feet slowly get wet from falling rain or snow I tend to be OK with it. But hitting a deep puddle that allows the cold water to hit all at once can get me good.

I couldn't believe the amount of water running this morning. Gutters overflowing, running over the street...even some sidewalks had rivers on them.

This morning dry feet was not an option. I hope you have better luck!

Comment

• Running keeps your cells young:
                        http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...r-cells-young/
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I got a boot dryer for Christmas last year. I have yet to use it for boots. I left my running shoes on it when I headed to work this morning.When my feet slowly get wet from falling rain or snow I tend to be OK with it. But hitting a deep puddle that allows the cold water to hit all at once can get me good.

I couldn't believe the amount of water running this morning. Gutters overflowing, running over the street...even some sidewalks had rivers on them.

This morning dry feet was not an option. I hope you have better luck!

That sounds like a good idea, I wish I had put it on my Christmas list Since I have two pair of shoes that I alternate days with, wet shoes starting out is not normally a problem. If they are wet, I'll put them near a heat register to dry out. When I am out I don't usually notice the cold feet - it is when I get home.

It sounds like it is still coming down pretty good - I can really hear the rain pounding on the skylights in my building

Comment

• So my wife got me not one but two pair if VFFs for Xmas. Both are the running-specific Bikila model. Some thoughts:

- I've only been on one run in them so far but they are great. It is going to take me a while to build up the foot/calf strength to use them frequently, but my form is so much cleaner and my joints are so much better when I use them. The light of Zola Budd is definitely stirring in my soul.

- I wore them all day yesterday on the second day of our drive home. They are super comfy. Also, I got tons of really weird looks at gas stations and restaurants. Awesome.

I am obviously running my marathon in two weeks with normal shoes. I'm unsure about after that - I'm going to gradually build up my foot strength and see what happens, but I am loving these shoes so far.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              So my wife got me not one but two pair if VFFs for Xmas. Both are the running-specific Bikila model. Some thoughts:

- I've only been on one run in them so far but they are great. It is going to take me a while to build up the foot/calf strength to use them frequently, but my form is so much cleaner and my joints are so much better when I use them. The light of Zola Budd is definitely stirring in my soul.

- I wore them all day yesterday on the second day of our drive home. They are super comfy. Also, I got tons of really weird looks at gas stations and restaurants. Awesome.

I am obviously running my marathon in two weeks with normal shoes. I'm unsure about after that - I'm going to gradually build up my foot strength and see what happens, but I am loving these shoes so far.
                              You are a freak.

Comment

• This morning was a wonderful day for a walk, sun was shining absolutely no wind about 25 degrees or so - actually went 12.2 miles in 2:51

Comment

Working...
                                X