The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pelado
    Bald not naked
    • Sep 2010
    • 21153

    #2011
    Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    I ran 8 miles this morning with my 15 ye old daughter. I can’t remember the last time I went that far.

    it was way too hot, but luckily we were by the canals most of the way and were able to dip our shirts to cool things off.

    may be time to sign up for a race to get myself going out more and so I can get faster. Today was 65 minutes and even though it was supposed to be easy I still look back and think it should be faster. Just need to get some more miles in me. A watch that works works be nice too.
    You ran for 65 minutes? And you want to do it again?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12382

      #2012
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

      How do you know it was 65 minutes?
      My daughter has her watch.

      Comment

      • Joe Public
        8.1 YPC
        • Apr 2011
        • 8544

        #2013
        Kipchoge goes 2:01:09 at the Berlin Marathon, breaking his own world record. Someone is going to get an official sub-2 eventually. So incredibly fast.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

        "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

        Comment

        • BigFatMeanie
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 7121

          #2014
          Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
          Kipchoge goes 2:01:09 at the Berlin Marathon, breaking his own world record. Someone is going to get an official sub-2 eventually. So incredibly fast.
          That is smoking fast. Wow.

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27898

            #2015
            Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
            Kipchoge goes 2:01:09 at the Berlin Marathon, breaking his own world record. Someone is going to get an official sub-2 eventually. So incredibly fast.
            Some day that will happen but I wonder if it’ll happen in my lifetime. He’s basically running a 4:37 pace and only needs to drop a couple secs per mile, but that isn’t very easy to do. He also had perfect conditions with the course and weather.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • happyone
              Board Bookworm
              • Mar 2009
              • 5398

              #2016
              After my recent health scares, my walking really dwindled. I am now back to 40+ miles a week (140 miles this month so far). This month, I resumed walking up to US 89. It is still a loooong walk to get up there

              I am a whole lot slower than I used to be, 16 - 18 min/mile vs 13 - 14. It is nice to be retired

              I may be small, but I'm slow.

              A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

              Comment

              • Bo Diddley
                Senior
                • Jul 2012
                • 18816

                #2017
                Originally posted by happyone View Post
                After my recent health scares, my walking really dwindled. I am now back to 40+ miles a week (140 miles this month so far). This month, I resumed walking up to US 89. It is still a loooong walk to get up there

                I am a whole lot slower than I used to be, 16 - 18 min/mile vs 13 - 14. It is nice to be retired
                It does my heart good to hear from you. Glad you're able to walk, even if it's not as fast as it used to be.

                Comment

                • happyone
                  Board Bookworm
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 5398

                  #2018
                  A couple of months ago, while I was strolling the neighborhood, I passed my former bishops house (he is now in another ward, and was my bishop when I started walking) He asked me if I knew how far I had walked since I started. I don't exactly, but it as about 15 yrs ago and I figure I cover at least 30 miles a week - some doing some quick arithmatic in my head, I came up with an estimate - 15 yrs x 30 mpw x 50 weeks = 22500 miles. He was stunned, his follow up question was how many pairs of shoes had I gone through. I get between 400 and 500 miles on a pair of shoes, so that is roughly 3 pairs/year. That totals to 45 pairs

                  Kind of hard to comprehend.

                  By the way, I am now as healthy as I probably ever will be again. Still diabetic, but it is under control.

                  Took the dogs for a walk to night in the snow. There was just enough snow on the sidewalks/roads to crunch but not enough make it feel like one is walking through sand. I find walking in light snow at night to be an almost religious experience.

                  I may be small, but I'm slow.

                  A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                  Comment

                  • BigPiney
                    Huge Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12382

                    #2019
                    That is amazing. Glad you are still out there walking

                    Comment

                    • happyone
                      Board Bookworm
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 5398

                      #2020
                      Tnx

                      I may be small, but I'm slow.

                      A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18816

                        #2021
                        Soon enough you'll have walked enough to go around the Earth.

                        Comment

                        • Moliere
                          One man.....one pie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 27898

                          #2022
                          Anyone here tried taking collagen on a daily basis?

                          I ask mainly because my running has become more difficult month by month. Some of that is the fact I'm getting older but I've also become a lot more sore after some runs and my recovery time seems to get longer and longer. Maybe I'm just old, but I'm starting to not really enjoy running because I struggle to keep a decent pace for 4 miles (especially in the heat) but I also fear the recovery time. I stopped using protein powder a while back because I just ran out and then life got busy...but I ordered some more today and I also ordered collagen to see if that helps as well. I haven't done any research on collagen other than hearing several podcasts that talk about the benefits.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment

                          • Clark Addison
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10316

                            #2023
                            I don't take collagen. One of the reasons I do creatine is to hopefully help with my recovery time. Honestly, I don't know if it does anything, but I feel pretty good so I keep taking it. My body isn't like it was 25 years ago, where I could spring off the couch after not running for a month, run 10 miles, and be fine, but I run 4 miles a day (except Sunday ) and don't feel any ill effects during the day (well, if I have been sitting for 2 hours and get up I have that old man limp for a while, but I think that's the years rather than the running). I don't run very fast, but then I never did. For a while I was struggling to keep under a 9 minute pace but I am now pretty consistently between 8:00 and 8:30, so I feel decent about that for an old guy (I forget how old you are, but I think I have you by 5-10 years).

                            I am always looking for more ways to fight off age, so if anyone has used collagen with success I'm happy to listen!

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69749

                              #2024
                              My wife takes it frequently. All I know is that tastes terrible. She has to gag it down.

                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • BigFatMeanie
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7121

                                #2025
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                My wife takes it frequently. All I know is that tastes terrible. She has to gag it down.
                                Don't they have collagen pills?

                                Comment

                                Working...