The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
    Funny you post this. I took a three and half mile walk today, the first exercise I have had since probably April last year. Running to begin on Monday. Perhaps I will join you there if you don't mind. Can you forward me the link to the race?
    There's no website for it yet or pre-registration.

This is from the stake calendar. It's on May 21.

Registration starts at 6am in Sophia St. parking lot at the intersection of Amelia St. in downtown Fredericksburg. Race begins at 7am. 1 non perishable food item per participant to benefit the Fredericksburg Area Food Bank.
    I went and was at the finish line for when Gidget ran it. There were quite a few runners there. I was actually surprised by the turnout. And lots of families at the end who just walked, some pushing strollers. There were a handful of serious runners who were there to race. And as far as I can tell there were several local no-mos running it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• after spending a month trying to convince myself to like running, i've come to the conclusion that it blows -- so much so that i would rather ride the cycleops trainer (which i hate). you guys must have joints of steel and a love of unnecessary pain.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by camleish View Post
        after spending a month trying to convince myself to like running, i've come to the conclusion that it blows -- so much so that i would rather ride the cycleops trainer (which i hate). you guys must have joints of steel and a love of unnecessary pain.
        I hate running as well. It's going to be a grind until May. I much prefer having a ball involved with any running. Preferably a basketball.
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

after spending a month trying to convince myself to like running, i've come to the conclusion that it blows -- so much so that i would rather ride the cycleops trainer (which i hate). you guys must have joints of steel and a love of unnecessary pain.
          I hate running as well. I don't like the pain and the exhaustion. However, after about 6 months it's nice to feel in shape. I ran 6.5 miles yesterday at a pace of 9:07 min/mile. When I finished I just felt proud. Not proud that I had run so far, but proud that I didn't spend the evening on the couch watching tv. I've effectively replaced my tv watching with running.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Man why is every race on Sunday?

I am looking at doing another 5K the week before the one I am planning on doing. It's part of the Marine Corps series. There is a 5K the day of the Historic Half that I am thinking of entering.
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              Man why is every race on Sunday?

I am looking at doing another 5K the week before the one I am planning on doing. It's part of the Marine Corps series. There is a 5K the day of the Historic Half that I am thinking of entering.
              Because it is a spiritual experience?

Seriously, though, I find running - and racing in particular - so important for mental health that I have no issue doing it on Sunday. I understand others think me a sinner.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Only a month?

It took me longer than a month before running started to gain even a semblance of being enjoyable.

Initially I had to run on a treadmill so that I could watch TV to keep myself distracted. Eventually I got so that I could run outside with an ipod and earphones and it was OK. Now, more often than not, I don't even run with the music anymore.

I find it relaxing in a way, and invigorating in another. Mornings that I get up and run I am much more awake earlier than mornings that I don't.

Honestly, I get those who don't like to run. I've been there myself. I don't know why I enjoy it now - it is difficult to explain. But I do know it took several months of forcing myself to get out and do it before it became something I looked forward to.

Comment

• My experience is that more I stick with an exercise the more I enjoy it and the less painful it is. Consistency is everything. (I have learned that by sad experience.) I used to be a runner until I developed joint issues at age 34. I loved it and miss the endorphin rush I used to get. Since my orthopedist told me I needed a low-impact form of aerobic exercise, I chose aerobic walking. (You know, the sport with that seemingly awkward gait that we see in the Olympics.) It was kind of close to what I had been doing and allowed me to be outdoors while working out. Anyway, it's been great for me as a means of keeping my weight under control and maintaining cardio health (both are as good as they were when I was a runner). Because the movement of aerobic walking is less efficient than running, walkers actually get more aerobic benefit in, relation to effort, than runners. Anyway, walking was painful and annoying in the early going but I truly love it now. So do my dogs, who go with me every day.
                  Last edited by LA Ute; 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    My experience is that more I stick with an exercise the more I enjoy it and the less painful it is. Consistency is everything. (I have learned that by sad experience.) I used to be a runner until I developed joint issues at age 34. I loved it and miss the endorphin rush I used to get. Since my orthopedist told me I needed a low-impact form of aerobic exercise, I chose aerobic walking. (You know, the sport with that seemingly awkward gait that we see in the Olympics.) It was kind of close to what I had been doing and allowed me to be outdoors while working out. Anyway, it's been great for me as a means of keeping my weight under control and maintaining cardio health (both are as good as they were when I was a runner). Because the movement of aerobic walking is less efficient than running, walkers actually get more aerobic benefit in, relation to effort, than runners. Anyway, walking was painful and annoying in the early going but I truly love it now. So do my dogs, who go with me every day.
                    Olympic walkers walk way faster than I run. But they look ridiculous.

BUT...if walking's your thing, go for it! You get the same health benefit from 30 mins of aerobic level walking as you would from any hardcore running program. It's a shame when people give up on running because their pride won't let them be seen walking (as if anyone's watching), so instead they do nothing. I have days where I don't feel like doing anything. However, I can usually force myself to at least go for a walk--and I almost end up running by the end. The key is to get moving.

As a side note, and not talking specifically to your case, LA: I hate it when doctors discourage patients from running. They usually don't know what they're talking about. It's actually fairly rare for someone to have the kind of knee problem that running would exacerbate, but they still follow the mostly wrong CW on this.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      Olympic walkers walk way faster than I run. But they look ridiculous.
                      True. I had to get over this. It was either condemn to nothing but swimming or using an elliptical trainer (which I do now and then anyway to break up the routine), or do the walking thing. I don't are what it looks like anymore. I'm probably in far better shape than almost anyone who is poking fun at me anyway.

BUT...if walking's your thing, go for it! You get the same health benefit from 30 mins of aerobic level walking as you would from any hardcore running program. It's a shame when people give up on running because their pride won't let them be seen walking (as if anyone's watching), so instead they do nothing. I have days where I don't feel like doing anything. However, I can usually force myself to at least go for a walk--and I almost end up running by the end. The key is to get moving.

As a side note, and not talking specifically to your case, LA: I hate it when doctors discourage patients from running. They usually don't know what they're talking about. It's actually fairly rare for someone to have the kind of knee problem that running would exacerbate, but they still follow the mostly wrong CW on this.
                      I had (have) early degenerative arthritis in both hips, probably as a result of a sub-clinical injury in my teens. The pain was so bad I could not run any more. Since switching to walking 23 years ago I have been asymptomatic and have passed, by two years, the age when my ortho thought I would need new hips. So far, so good....
                      Last edited by LA Ute; 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post

Seeing a doc who is also a runner is a big deal. I learned this the hard way. The first guy told me my patella had a funny motion and I shouldn't do marathons. The second guy said the first was full of crap and I just had IT band syndrome.

The "damage" I've done to my knees running pales in comparison to the damage that all the extra weight and inactivity was doing.

Also, is anybody else enjoying (in a morbid sort of way) the vision of LAUte power walking in spandex shorts, complete with crazy hips and swinging arms?

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          Seeing a doc who is also a runner is a big deal. I learned this the hard way. The first guy told me my patella had a funny motion and I shouldn't do marathons. The second guy said the first was full of crap and I just had IT band syndrome.

The "damage" I've done to my knees running pales in comparison to the damage that all the extra weight and inactivity was doing.

Also, is anybody else enjoying (in a morbid sort of way) the vision of LAUte power walking in spandex shorts, complete with crazy hips and swinging arms?
                          Spandex shorts will never touch my body. And my wife says I look graceful. And I can do an 11-minute mile when I want to!

[YOUTUBE]efIy19eCAiM[/YOUTUBE]
                          ― W.H. Auden

Comment

I have an extended family member who has spoken out on a couple of ocassions about how bad running a marathon is for you physically.

The thought that occurs to me is that if I didn't have a marathon/triathlon/whatever to train for you probably wouldn't get me out of the house to exercise. And while running a marathon may cause some short-term heart damage and take X amount of minutes off of my life expectancy (according to him) I have to wonder what kind of shape my heart would be in and what being fat and sitting on the coach watching TV would do to my life expectancy.

And finally - I also wonder...if he is so worried about being healthy and the damage my running is doing to my body, perhaps he should stop after the second plate of food and take a few minutes to start worrying about what the extra 100 lbs of fat is doing for his.

Comment

I wasn't until I read this. Thanks a lot
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                I have an extended family member who has spoken out on a couple of ocassions about how bad running a marathon is for you physically.

The thought that occurs to me is that if I didn't have a marathon/triathlon/whatever to train for you probably wouldn't get me out of the house to exercise. And while running a marathon may cause some short-term heart damage and take X amount of minutes off of my life expectancy (according to him) I have to wonder what kind of shape my heart would be in and what being fat and sitting on the coach watching TV would do to my life expectancy.

And finally - I also wonder...if he is so worried about being healthy and the damage my running is doing to my body, perhaps he should stop after the second plate of food and take a few minutes to start worrying about what the extra 100 lbs of fat is doing for his.
                                The more I study diet (I am really seriously considering going back to school to be a dietician), the more I am convinced that we Americans are really screwed up in the eating department. Badly. Right now I'm trying to drop about 20 pounds to an ideal running weight and I'm meticulously tracking not just calories but percentage of calories from various sources and matching it with my specific calorie needs for protein, carbs, fat, etc. It isn't as hard or time consuming as it sounds. And I'm finding out how poorly I understood - nay, understand - the relationship between what I need and what I actually eat. I thought I ate pretty healthy (save the last two holiday months) but I am seeing how wrong I really was. And I'm wondering why this isn't more emphasized in health class in HS.

I have to admit that I now look on most obese people with at least a mild amount of disgust. I have to work on changing that.

Comment

Working...
                                X