The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
    update--i'm happy to report that after taking 2+ months post-injury I'm running again. i'm unhappy to report that my stamina has suffered and my goal of running a 19:59 5k is way off track right now. oh well, such is the nature of things.

That said, it's good to be back and out there again. i've been taking it easy, maybe even TOO easy, since now i'm paranoid and super-sensitive to any pains. i'm not even up to 15 miles/wk yet, but should get there this week and back to the 30 i was running in another few weeks. so far no problems with hip flexor/iliopsoas pain, and i'm hoping all the hip/core strengthening stuff i did in the meantime is going to pay dividends. i'm also now able to do pull-ups and a continuous set of 40 pushups due to having time to lift, something i've never really done before in a dedicated way. no biggie i know, but for this skinny guy whose arms look like fettucine noodles, i'll take it. another 'benefit' to having been sidelined for a while.

i had a go at a 5k distance this morning and tried to run at about 85%--i ended up doing it in 25 mins so i'm growing more optimistic that i can recover my speed/stamina and keep building from where i was before. i continue to be inspired by everyone in this thread. happy running!
    That is a nice goal. What did you run your 5k in before? I bet there are only a small number of people here that could possibly run a sub 20 min 5 k, if that.

I felt good there other day, haven't been running more than once or twice a week, but ran a just over 3 miles with a 7:05 pace. So maybe I am not in as bad of shape as I thought. Time to start thinking about this summers race season.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      That is a nice goal. What did you run your 5k in before? I bet there are only a small number of people here that could possibly run a sub 20 min 5 k, if that.

I felt good there other day, haven't been running more than once or twice a week, but ran a just over 3 miles with a 7:05 pace. So maybe I am not in as bad of shape as I thought. Time to start thinking about this summers race season.
      when i got hurt i was getting about a 7:20 pace in training. obviously a ways to go. the thing was, i had just been running 6 months at that point and though the curve was getting steeper, i felt steady improvement, and figured within a year or two i could get close.

it's a goal that may best serve as motivation more so than see its achievement realized. obviously i hope to do it but if i don't i'll just work harder on my ping pong game.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
        when i got hurt i was getting about a 7:20 pace in training. obviously a ways to go. the thing was, i had just been running 6 months at that point and though the curve was getting steeper, i felt steady improvement, and figured within a year or two i could get close.

it's a goal that may best serve as motivation more so than see its achievement realized. obviously i hope to do it but if i don't i'll just work harder on my ping pong game.
        You can easily do it. Well not easily, but it is attainable. you need to run a 6:25 pace for the race. With staying healthy, you could be there in a year. Plan on it being in a race though, I just can't push myself that hard on my own.

Comment

By small number, I think we mean you, your wife, and Cardiac's wife (her lack of participation here notwithstanding). Any others? I can't do that yet, although I'm hopeful to be able to one day.

And good to hear you are back in the saddle, OB. I hate injuries.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            By small number, I think we mean you, your wife, and Cardiac's wife (her lack of participation here notwithstanding). Any others? I can't do that yet, although I'm hopeful to be able to one day.

And good to hear you are back in the saddle, OB. I hate injuries.
            She has never done it, but it is a goal of hers, I think. I was including some of you that haven't done it, but yet have the capability, but tend to focus on stupid long runs instead.

Comment

She has never done it, but it is a goal of hers, I think. I was including some of you that haven't done it, but yet have the capability, but tend to focus on stupid long runs instead.
              I don't think I can do it quite yet. I'd have to focus on short interval training at speeds I don't usually do. I think I could do a full mile in about 6:15 though. We will see how this 10k goes.

Comment

Plan on it being in a race though, I just can't push myself that hard on my own.
                The plan is when I think I'm ready to go for it, convince my reluctant friend --who eschews racing but is blazing fast and could easily do a 5k in 18--to sign up for a 5k with me and just try to keep up with him.

I agree, there's pushing oneself in an everyday run, and then there's pushing oneself in a race. I'll need that boost from the latter I'm sure.

Comment

Even when I was young and in semi decent shape I couldn't run that fast, now that I am old and out of shape, I hope to one day run a sub 30 min 5k - the ward's annual beat the bishop 5k fun run is this run and that is my goal

Comment - I was really getting used to the almost 50 degree temps last week. I've had to break out the knit cap these last few days

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                    Even when I was young and in semi decent shape I couldn't run that fast, now that I am old and out of shape, I hope to one day run a sub 30 min 5k - the ward's annual beat the bishop 5k fun run is this run and that is my goal

Comment - I was really getting used to the almost 50 degree temps last week. I've had to break out the knit cap these last few days
                    I was thinking about this on the drive to work this morning. A friend of mine who is really good shape, done a few 1/2 ironmans in around 5:30:00, ran the 1/2 marathon portion in 1:45, has run some 5k s with me and has yet to break 20 minutes. He has been disappointed the last 2 years to miss it by less than 10 or 20 seconds. It hurts to run that fast.

Comment

• Quick race report: did the 10k in 46:56, which is about 56 seconds off of my goal time (but a PR nonetheless). Very pleased with the effort - at one point I had a Pre quote going through my head - but am not pleased with the idiots who run slow miles and yet line up at the front. I anticipated people like that and lined up for about a full minute faster than I was planning.

And that wasn't enough. First full mile was spent dodging all manner of slow runners. Cost me a lot of energy, probably 30 seconds off of my time total. Slower runners, I love that you're out there running and please continue to come to races and run and all of that - hey, I'm a slow runner too, compared to the people that win these things - but the next time you line up at the front of the pack I'm going to punch you in the damn kidney.

There was a significant hill/overpass at mile 3, and then again at mile 5. That slowed me down. And the temp was 70 the entire time, so that slowed me down. But I am very happy with this race and it's something I can build on.
                      Last edited by Pheidippides; 02-26-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Great race report Niku! I'm jealous of the speed you're picking up.

I've been alternating running and walking for the last couple of weeks coming back from my calf pain. Saturday I went 7 miles - running all of it but about a quarter mile right in the middle when I took a short walk break to not put too much stress on it.

Looking forward to just running - slowly - this week and seeing how it goes.

Comment

Quick race report: did the 10k in 46:56, which is about 56 seconds off of my goal time (but a PR nonetheless). Very pleased with the effort - at one point I had a Pre quote going through my head - but am not pleased with the idiots who run slow miles and yet line up at the front. I anticipated people like that and lined up for about a full minute faster than I was planning.

And that wasn't enough. First full mile was spent dodging all manner of slow runners. Cost me a lot of energy, probably 30 seconds off of my time total. Slower runners, I love that you're out there running and please continue to come to races and run and all of that - hey, I'm a slow runner too, compared to the people that win these things - but the next time you line up at the front of the pack I'm going to punch you in the damn kidney.

There was a significant hill/overpass at mile 3, and then again at mile 5. That slowed me down. And the temp was 70 the entire time, so that slowed me down. But I am very happy with this race and it's something I can build on.
                          Congrats on the PR!

Sometimes race organizers either don't get it or the racers don't get it. In my race someone thought it would be a good idea to start the longer race first . Looks like in your race the slower runners took the initiative to mess things up.

46 minutes is pretty good for a 10K. Sure you aren't with the sub 40 guys but still you are probably in the top 10% of the participants which is saying something. My fastest 10K is 52:57, which wasn't in a competition but it's still a good 1 minute/mile pace slower than you.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                            Congrats on the PR!

Sometimes race organizers either don't get it or the racers don't get it. In my race someone thought it would be a good idea to start the longer race first . Looks like in your race the slower runners took the initiative to mess things up.

46 minutes is pretty good for a 10K. Sure you aren't with the sub 40 guys but still you are probably in the top 10% of the participants which is saying something. My fastest 10K is 52:57, which wasn't in a competition but it's still a good 1 minute/mile pace slower than you.
                            Most big races are this way. It's not as bad in marathons because organizers are stricter, racers more experienced, and there's time to make up for slow first miles. I should have known better - I kept looking around me and wondering how in the world some of these people were going to keep up. Easy answer: they didn't.

I actually signed up for a local half mary right after this race because I forgot how much I love racing. It's in three weeks, and it's my first time at that distance, and I'm in the middle of marathon training, so I'm only going for modest goals.

Comment

... not pleased with the idiots who run slow miles and yet line up at the front. I anticipated people like that and lined up for about a full minute faster than I was planning.

And that wasn't enough. First full mile was spent dodging all manner of slow runners. Cost me a lot of energy, probably 30 seconds off of my time total. Slower runners, I love that you're out there running and please continue to come to races and run and all of that - hey, I'm a slow runner too, compared to the people that win these things - but the next time you line up at the front of the pack I'm going to punch you in the damn kidney...
                              Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              ...Sometimes race organizers either don't get it or the racers don't get it. In my race someone thought it would be a good idea to start the longer race first . Looks like in your race the slower runners took the initiative to mess things up...

I remember being surprised when I ran that marathon last year at how people lined up - trying to decide if people are selfish, inconsiderate pigs or just plain stupid.

It isn't that hard, folks. They have signs up that say if you plan to run the race this fast, start here. As I made my way back to somewhere between 4 and 4:30 I couldn't believe some of the folks I watched lining up in the 2:30 and 3, or even 3:30 range. I remember thinking I would be surprised if I hadn't passed many of them within the first couple of miles.

For a marathon it isn't as huge a deal - and for someone like me I kind of like the idea of starting a little slower the first mile or two while I settle down and wait for the butterflies to pass, so having human speed bumps works out. But in a shorter race where you need to get up to race pace quick, I can see it being a big pain in the butt.

Comment

• One of the things I forgot to mention is the new form. This was my first race with it and I have to say I am loving the changes. I felt better on the hills than I thought I would, for example, and my joints feel great (even if my calves are sore). It was easier to find a groove as well.

I also can race in much lighter shoes with the improved form - did this one in Saucony Kinvaras. Seriously considering them as my marathon shoe.

Comment

Working...
                                X