No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an article or two that might help you clear out your closets and help those less fortunate:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...-shoe-donation

http://running.about.com/od/shoesapp...unningshoe.htm
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      How do you judge this? By miles? Feel? Use Injuries?

For me , it is generally when all the tread has worn off the ball of the foot. When it gets too smooth, it is time for another. I have at least 5 pairs in my closet.
      I keep an eye on the miles, but it's mostly feel. I can tell by where I start to feel stress in my legs and feet.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
        Here's an article or two that might help you clear out your closets and help those less fortunate:

My 12 yr old son, has size 11 feet, so I have been donating to him lately. He has a few pairs of mine.

Thanks for the links, good to keep in mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
          Here's an article or two that might help you clear out your closets and help those less fortunate:

Might check one of these out as I've got a few pairs in my closet that are just clutter right now. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            I do want to try some minimalist shoes but I wouldn't do anything more than a couple miles a week in them. I run almost exclusively on concrete and asphalt so I need cushioning.
            Barefoot running works just as well on concrete/asphalt as on any other surface. I strongly agree with starting very, very slow with it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
              Barefoot running works just as well on concrete/asphalt as on any other surface. I strongly agree with starting very, very slow with it though.
              Yep, avoiding concrete kind of defeats the purpose (in a way) of running barefoot.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Does it? I seem to recall reading that doing much of it wasn't a very good idea.

Comment

Does it? I seem to recall reading that doing much of it wasn't a very good idea.
                  It's really easy to overdo it and end up with a stress fracture or muscle tears, which is why I definitely recommend starting slow. That will help you to thicken the skin up too.

A lot of people seem to think that before shoes, humans were running on nicely mowed lawns or something. Natural surfaces actually tend to be quite hard. Cushioned running shoes were introduced in the 1970s, so even a creationist should have no reason to think cushioning is necessary to run on hard surfaces.

But again, when you grow up wearing cushioned shoes, it doesn't work to just get rid of them all of a sudden. We're sort of addicts that way, so wean slowly (or not at all).

Comment

It's really easy to overdo it and end up with a stress fracture or muscle tears, which is why I definitely recommend starting slow. That will help you to thicken the skin up too.

A lot of people seem to think that before shoes, humans were running on nicely mowed lawns or something. Natural surfaces actually tend to be quite hard. Cushioned running shoes were introduced in the 1970s, so even a creationist should have no reason to think cushioning is necessary to run on hard surfaces.

But again, when you grow up wearing cushioned shoes, it doesn't work to just get rid of them all of a sudden. We're sort of addicts that way, so wean slowly (or not at all).
                    Well they weren't running on concrete either!

I've read so much back and forth on this stuff I don't even know what to think. I've wanted to try some type of minimalist shoe (like the Kinvara), but I don't anticipate ever running more than like 10-15% of my weekly miles in something like that.

Comment

Well they weren't running on concrete either!

I've read so much back and forth on this stuff I don't even know what to think. I've wanted to try some type of minimalist shoe (like the Kinvara), but I don't anticipate ever running more than like 10-15% of my weekly miles in something like that.
                      Kivaras would be pretty safe. There's still a decent heel-toe rise and quite a bit of cushioning. It's the Vibrams and whatnot you have to be really careful with (I have the Merrell equivalent). They're an absolute joy to run in though. At least until you can't walk the next morning.

I think that an African sun-baked hard pan is actually harder than concrete, if I remember correctly. Asphalt is quite a bit softer than concrete and is a better substrate even if you're in cushioned shoes.

I didn't mean to get this discussion going again; it's just an academic interest of mine. My running ability is sufficiently poor I feel guilty even posting in this thread.

Comment

Kivaras would be pretty safe. There's still a decent heel-toe rise and quite a bit of cushioning. It's the Vibrams and whatnot you have to be really careful with (I have the Merrell equivalent). They're an absolute joy to run in though. At least until you can't walk the next morning.

I think that an African sun-baked hard pan is actually harder than concrete, if I remember correctly. Asphalt is quite a bit softer than concrete and is a better substrate even if you're in cushioned shoes.

I didn't mean to get this discussion going again; it's just an academic interest of mine. My running ability is sufficiently poor I feel guilty even posting in this thread.
                        Yeah, asphalt may be softer but it's hot as hell in the sun. I avoid that stuff like the plague.
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

• I try to get on the asphalt whenever I can just to avoid concrete. But still the bulk of my running is on concrete. It's just kind of unavoidable when run in the city.

Comment

I'm getting annoyed by how often my running shoes wear out. My closet is starting to pile up with shoes that still look like they're in good shape but are beyond their functional life.
                            How many miles do you get on a pair of shoes?

I probably average about 500, but one recent pair was only about 300

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                              So in the 'Huh, I didn't expect that' category, I finished 2nd overall in a 5k today. I've run this one 4 times now as it is a cause I feel strongly about, and usually they get 500 or so between the 10k and 5k, but for whatever reasons, the 5k field today clearly was not very competitive.

It might have something to do with the length of the course, which is always either too long or too short. Last year it was only 2.9; today it was 3.4. So my time looks forgettable (for me) at 22:09, but my pace was actually 6:32 per mile. I won't be able to count this race as a PR, but I'm a little frustrated wondering what my time might have been on an actual 5k course...tantalizingly close to that sub-20 I've become unreasonably obsessed with, especially since that extra almost three tenths hurt. a lot.

But overall I feel very content. I just had an experience I never thought I'd have and won't likely have again...running all alone out front. The winner ended up almost 4 minutes ahead of me, and the 3rd place finisher a minute behind. Aside from some 10k stragglers here and there, it felt like me just pushing myself on a routine speed day. It was surreal. I was aware that somewhere behind me were a bunch of runners, and I didn't even dare sneak a peek until the homestretch. I kept waiting to be passed, convinced it was coming soon, but it just never did. I ran the first mile in under 6:20 and kept the leader in my sights, but after that I never saw him. And once I finally looked back over my shoulder, the relief at seeing nobody was awesome.

So weird race, weird distance, clearly less-competitive field, but a memorable day. My confidence about hitting that sub-20--on an actual 3.1 course--is sky high right now.
                              I am impressed. Congrats! Even when was young and foolish I couldn't run that fast

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                                How many miles do you get on a pair of shoes?

I probably average about 500, but one recent pair was only about 300
                                I know this was intended for MG, but I'm at "only" 235 miles on my Ride 5s and I've already worn past the rubber on the balls of my feet. Maybe I run funny...
                                - Howard Aiken

Comment

Working...
                                X