No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am just not in the mood to run lately... I had to force myself out the door today.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
      I am just not in the mood to run lately... I had to force myself out the door today.

I did that yesterday, and I was totally gassed after 3 miles. I went another 2, but it was hot and muggy and I haven't felt like it lately either.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Nice job OB.

I on the other hand sucked yesterday. I have not really been running , but decisded to do the local 5k, busase of time contraints we could not do the 10k. This is a tough course that essentials goes uphill, with a lot of that being on dirt trail, till the halfway point and then it is back the way you came. Things went ok for the first 2 miles, then the heat started to get to me. This year they changed the start time to 8 am, booo. My wife caught up to me at about 2.5 miles and I let her run past me. I just didn't have it in me to even try and keep going. I tried to do with hear and she beat me by 3-5 seconds. Not sure exactly since they hadn't put together the finishing line by the time we finished in just over 21 minutes.

I hate running in the morning, but I have decided that I hate being out of shape even more, so starting tomorrow I am going to start getting up early and running. The 5 times I have run since april did not prepare me to actually race. Imagine that.
        Congrats, I for one am impressed. I just wish I could run that fast trained or not

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
          Congrats, I for one am impressed. I just wish I could run that fast trained or not
          See, now this is yet another example of why you are known as the nice guy around here and I'm not.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            See, now this is yet another example of why you are known as the nice guy around here and I'm not.
            People I like: happyone, joe public

People I do not like: bluegoose, eddie, Moliere

You will be happy to know, or maybe you will be spiteful about it, that I have lived up to my pronouncement and have set the alarm for early and I got up to run each morning. Keeping it to 30 minutes at a stretch for this week, and today was hills so I only did 3.5 miles. Yesterday on the flat I ran a minute longer so I could get 4 miles in.

The hard part is setting a routine and sticking to it. Hopefully I can be tough. Not having a race to motivate me is sucking.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              People I like: happyone, joe public

People I do not like: bluegoose, eddie, Moliere

You will be happy to know, or maybe you will be spiteful about it, that I have lived up to my pronouncement and have set the alarm for early and I got up to run each morning. Keeping it to 30 minutes at a stretch for this week, and today was hills so I only did 3.5 miles. Yesterday on the flat I ran a minute longer so I could get 4 miles in.

The hard part is setting a routine and sticking to it. Hopefully I can be tough. Not having a race to motivate me is sucking.

I'm just jealous....
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I'm just jealous....
                Truth be told, me too.

I did a 5K this morning in 23:30. I was going up and down some inclines (I wouldn't call them hills), so on a flat run I'm sure I could drop a minute or so.

Still coming back from my calf injury, adding miles slowly (very slowly) and feeling like crap after distances that used to be easy. Dang.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  Truth be told, me too.

I did a 5K this morning in 23:30. I was going up and down some inclines (I wouldn't call them hills), so on a flat run I'm sure I could drop a minute or so.

Still coming back from my calf injury, adding miles slowly (very slowly) and feeling like crap after distances that used to be easy. Dang.
                  Glad to hear you're on your way back. I'm rootin' for ya.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                    Glad to hear you're on your way back. I'm rootin' for ya.
                    I'm up to 3 miles 3X a week. Going to go for 4 miles this Saturday and 5 next...I've gotta be ready to run 6 the week after that for the Spudman Tri.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      Truth be told, me too.

You've all got me beat!

I'm feeling pretty good if I finish my 5k runs under 35 minutes. My goal is to get them under 30 by my next half in October. As it stands now, my 5k PR is just a shade under 30 minutes.
                      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                      - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                        You've all got me beat!

I'm feeling pretty good if I finish my 5k runs under 35 minutes. My goal is to get them under 30 by my next half in October. As it stands now, my 5k PR is just a shade under 30 minutes.
                        Not a bad place to be - just continue getting better.

When I first started, due to some back issues, I was doing about a 25-30 minute mile. Only one mile. It's been a while since I've moved that slow while exercising.

Comment

• I've been stressing out a bit that my runs the last few week or two have seemed really tough. Then I checked my running log:
                          May Pace: 12:25:47
                          May Miles: 39.24

June Pace: 12:58:47
                          June Miles: 37.33

July Pace: 11:37:01
                          July Miles: 14.12

And then I felt a lot better. June is slower because it includes a half-marathon. My 2013 average is 12:16/mile, so I'm pushing myself harder in July. I want to run that October half in 2:30...

I'm also coming up on the first anniversary of my first 5k, which was July 28th last year and I ran it in 48:47. I'm running it again this year, and hope to PR with <29:54.
                          - Howard Aiken

Comment

• Any known quick fix for a big blister on the ball of a foot? I developed a pretty big one last night and I'd like to prevent it from impacting my progress. I've googled, but don't really see anything concrete. Help is appreciated.
                            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                              Any known quick fix for a big blister on the ball of a foot? I developed a pretty big one last night and I'd like to prevent it from impacting my progress. I've googled, but don't really see anything concrete. Help is appreciated.
                              I'm certainly no expert, but we used moleskin patches for blisters on the mission. The location is different though, so this probably isn't helpful.
                              - Howard Aiken

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                                Any known quick fix for a big blister on the ball of a foot? I developed a pretty big one last night and I'd like to prevent it from impacting my progress. I've googled, but don't really see anything concrete. Help is appreciated.
                                Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                                I'm certainly no expert, but we used moleskin patches for blisters on the mission. The location is different though, so this probably isn't helpful.
                                Yep. Moleskin donut.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X