The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
    I'm really wanting to get into running; I don't want to get back into racing, but want to get into running. The two are totally different beasts. I raced 5Ks and used some 10Ks for training, but ended up racing, though I'm not cut out for long distance.

I'm now in a situation in my life where I think I want to take up running per se. That includes "running" 10Ks. Oddly enough, I have absolutely no idea how to start running and stick with it. Every time I start running my mind enters training mentality and my body can't handle it, so I get injured.

The first step, I presume, is to recognize that I'll never break 30 in a 10K again and I'll likely never break 40. Even so, as I write this, I'm thinking about times. I've gotta get this outta my head, but it is hard.

How does one start running, just for the joy of increased endurance, decreased cardiovascular risk, and enjoyment of running a 10K with loved ones? I think I need a running buddy.
    I second the idea of training for something like a marathon, or even a half. Some distance longer than you raced at - which changes the way you train (to a certain degree).

Then come up with a training plan that includes pacing on it. And stick to the plan. It will seem strange, but just tell yourself that this is the training plan and you have to follow it. And it is preparing your body for the longer run/race.

I really like the Garmin305 for this too - quite often on days when I'm supposed to be running easy I'll notice my pace slowly increasing, so I can see what I'm doing and slow it back down. I still have days that I run push it - but it isn't every day. And pushing it is part of the overall plan for those days, so I don't wear myself out or break down (usually).

Good luck!

Comment

• Question for the form experts....

I finally took some video of myself on the treadmill (looked at different shoes, different footstrikes, etc) and it was quite helpful. I have always run with my feet falling on a fairly straight imaginary line, and I noticed that sometimes, I was even crossing over that line a bit (eg toward the left with my right leg), if that makes sense.

I am a mild-moderate over pronator (even with a forefoot strike, btw--I learned that too) and it seems like the in-line running might potentially exacerbate things. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
        Question for the form experts....

I finally took some video of myself on the treadmill (looked at different shoes, different footstrikes, etc) and it was quite helpful. I have always run with my feet falling on a fairly straight imaginary line, and I noticed that sometimes, I was even crossing over that line a bit (eg toward the left with my right leg), if that makes sense.

I am a mild-moderate over pronator (even with a forefoot strike, btw--I learned that too) and it seems like the in-line running might potentially exacerbate things. Any thoughts on this?
        I have the same issue. I run right on a line with some crossing over (both sides). My kinesiologist said it would be a good idea to try to clean that up over time - it puts added stress on my hips and has to do with weak hip muscles. It is the thing I am working on now. I am focusing on trying to keep my foot strike in line with my alignment and not cross over.

I am also a mild overpronater, btw.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I second the idea of training for something like a marathon, or even a half. Some distance longer than you raced at - which changes the way you train (to a certain degree).

Then come up with a training plan that includes pacing on it. And stick to the plan. It will seem strange, but just tell yourself that this is the training plan and you have to follow it. And it is preparing your body for the longer run/race.

I really like the Garmin305 for this too - quite often on days when I'm supposed to be running easy I'll notice my pace slowly increasing, so I can see what I'm doing and slow it back down. I still have days that I run push it - but it isn't every day. And pushing it is part of the overall plan for those days, so I don't wear myself out or break down (usually).

Good luck!
          I actually think that I would do better if I turn off the watches, GPS, heart rate monitor and just run listening to my body. When a watch is ticking, I start pushing.

I'll never do a marathon. Never ever ever. I can run a half, but never a marathon. I worry that I'd start racing again and really injure myself.

When I trained at BYU there was this old faculty that used to run everyday. He never ran races; he just ran laps (ugh). He was there everyday without fail, however. That is what I want to do.
          "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• This talk of wanting to get back into running sounds a lot like humble bragging. There are plenty of HS and college runners who manage to still enjoy running and are able to do so without getting injured. Take your time getting back, what's so hard about that? This notion that you either have to ditch the watch and run laps alone or end up hurt is silly. There is lots and lots of middle ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
              I actually think that I would do better if I turn off the watches, GPS, heart rate monitor and just run listening to my body. When a watch is ticking, I start pushing.

I'll never do a marathon. Never ever ever. I can run a half, but never a marathon. I worry that I'd start racing again and really injure myself.

When I trained at BYU there was this old faculty that used to run everyday. He never ran races; he just ran laps (ugh). He was there everyday without fail, however. That is what I want to do.
              I find that without the garmin as a point of reference, I like to go out too fast. I just like the feel of moving fast. I really do need it to tell myself to slow down on days when I'm not doing speed work.

As I think about it, I am somewhat curious and am now thinking it might be an interesting experience to set the auto laps to quarter miles and then just run and see what the pacing looks like. Does it fluctuate a lot? A little? Do I start fast and slow down or the reverse?

I'm not quite to the point of being able to consistently run all the time just for the enjoyment of it - and not sure if I ever will be. While I like running, I also don't mind sleeping an extra hour or so in the morning. Having a race that I'm training for keeps me getting up in the morning. I find that if I don't have something, I end up finding a way to justify skipping some days.

I may see how it goes once this next race is done - just running each day without any thought to specific workouts (hills vs. pace vs. speed, etc.) But thus far I haven't been extremely successful at maintaining.

Comment

• Just an observation, but if you are out running at 11:00 PM, wear something reflective or at least light colored - I almost didn't see a couple the other night returning home from the cacus - They were running in on the edge of the street in black clothes

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• ER and Solon, not sure if you've seen this yet, but I just stumbled across the official times from Saturday.

Spectrum 10K results

Solon, a full minute over your average is pretty amazing. The winner ran a 4:52. I can't imagine ever moving my legs that fast. I've never met an Osguthorpe that didn't have mutant endurance abilities.
                  I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                    Just an observation, but if you are out running at 11:00 PM, wear something reflective or at least light colored - I almost didn't see a couple the other night returning home from the cacus - They were running in on the edge of the street in black clothes
                    Hard to feel sorry for stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      I am focusing on trying to keep my foot strike in line with my alignment and not cross over.
                      What do you mean by that exactly? The 'in line with my alignment' part. I'm having a hard time finding much online of substance about this issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                        Just an observation, but if you are out running at 11:00 PM, wear something reflective or at least light colored - I almost didn't see a couple the other night returning home from the cacus - They were running in on the edge of the street in black clothes
                        I regularly run in the early AM, which means for much of the year I'm running completely in the dark. I've passed quite a few runners in the mornings, and I can count on two hands the ones who've been wearing any reflective gear or some sort of light.

Crazy.

Comment

• I just returned by second Garmin 610 in the last six months or so. Completely crashed again - wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on, etc.

Good news: it appears there was a problem in the first two batches produced and both of mine were from that batch.
                          Better news: still under warranty.
                          Best news: garmin customer service is stellar and a new one is on the way. They told me to keep all my accessories as spares too.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I regularly run in the early AM, which means for much of the year I'm running completely in the dark. I've passed quite a few runners in the mornings, and I can count on two hands the ones who've been wearing any reflective gear or some sort of light.

Crazy.
                            I understand the value of reflective clothing, but at the same time it's not like a car driving in the dark is going to sneak up on a runner. It seems a pretty simple thing for a runner to keep out of the way.
                            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Crazy.
                              I don't wear reflective gear and I run in the dark. Of course, I also don't expect cars to drive on the sidewalk or walking paths.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                                I just returned by second Garmin 610 in the last six months or so. Completely crashed again - wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on, etc.

Good news: it appears there was a problem in the first two batches produced and both of mine were from that batch.
                                Better news: still under warranty.
                                Best news: garmin customer service is stellar and a new one is on the way. They told me to keep all my accessories as spares too.
                                That's happened to my 305 several times. If it ever happens after the warranty has expired, there is a way to do a hard reset that has brought mine back from the dead (including the night before the St. George Marathon).

Comment

Working...
                                X