The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Are you doing the Spectrum 10K then? I'll be there. I hear it's a great race, but I've never fit it in until this year and I too am doing it for the Runner's Series. I'm doing Ogden in May, and I'm still deciding on St George, but I'll leave the door open this way.

No, hilly loops are not equivalent to flat loops (which is essentially your question). One quick formula that works pretty well is to add 1 mile per 1000 ft gained and subtract one per 2000 ft lost. So if you do a 3.5 mile loop with 180 ft gained and lost would be the equivalent of 3.5 + 0.18 - 0.09 = 3.59, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's about 2.5%. For an 8 minute mile pace, you'll slow down to about 8:13ish.

BUT--Garmin always overestimates elevation change, so all bets are off if you're getting that number from your 305.
    Garmin is better than it used to be, especially if you enable elevation corrections. But it can come up with weird figures. I wish my four feet of total elevation gain over eight miles was a garmin thing but it's not - that's just where I live.

Dwight, nailing your actual speed is tricky. I am faster at short races than I should be. Or, put differently, my short race times predict me to run marathon times I don't think I can do. There is some variation. But I think McMillan pace calculator is good to start getting you in the ballpark.

And remember that some days you'll have it and some you won't for whatever reason. Just pray that the good days are the same days as your races.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Are you doing the Spectrum 10K then? I'll be there. I hear it's a great race, but I've never fit it in until this year and I too am doing it for the Runner's Series.
      Yes. My wife did it a couple of years ago and had a very positive experience.

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      No, hilly loops are not equivalent to flat loops (which is essentially your question). One quick formula that works pretty well is to add 1 mile per 1000 ft gained and subtract one per 2000 ft lost. So if you do a 3.5 mile loop with 180 ft gained and lost would be the equivalent of 3.5 + 0.18 - 0.09 = 3.59, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's about 2.5%. For an 8 minute mile pace, you'll slow down to about 8:13ish.

BUT--Garmin always overestimates elevation change, so all bets are off if you're getting that number from your 305.
      Thanks for the info. Helpful. I'm using a Garmin 405, but your point is still valid. Despite starting and stopping at the same spots every time, I can have nearly a +/- 0.1 in distance AND I always wait to start until I have at least 30ft satellite accuracy. So that's been disappointing.
      Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Garmin always overestimates elevation change, so all bets are off if you're getting that number from your 305.
        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        Garmin is better than it used to be, especially if you enable elevation corrections. But it can come up with weird figures. I wish my four feet of total elevation gain over eight miles was a garmin thing but it's not - that's just where I live.
        I've looked at this website for elevation information, but I don't know if it is more or less accurate than a Garmin.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I'd be really careful with soreness there--metatarsal stress fractures are not uncommon with these. Really, I'd be careful about ever running (in any shoes) when you're sore at the beginning, unless you know exactly what that soreness and that it's going to go away.
          Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          I'm no doctor, but of I have anything weird going on with my actual foot I call it quits and run another day.
          Thanks ER and Nik. I think I'll cut back on the VFFs a bit. Maybe take the Nik route and run in them once a week instead of 3 times a week (and every time I run). I'll go out in the Nike Frees or regular shoes tomorrow morning and see how it goes. My foot is feeling fine right now so I should be pain/sore free tomorrow.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I feel like I can actually run again, having made it most of the way back to my pre-surgery form from the beginning of December. Ran 7 miles on Monday, with some pretty big hills, at least it felt that way, and then once on the flat canal road managed to run a 6:36 for mile 6. Last night I ran my hilly 3 mile loop in a 7:22 pace. The real test will be this weekend when I run a 10 k and see if I can't beat my wife.

2 months till RAGNAR, but I think I'll be ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              I feel like I can actually run again, having made it most of the way back to my pre-surgery form from the beginning of December. Ran 7 miles on Monday, with some pretty big hills, at least it felt that way, and then once on the flat canal road managed to run a 6:36 for mile 6. Last night I ran my hilly 3 mile loop in a 7:22 pace. The real test will be this weekend when I run a 10 k and see if I can't beat my wife.

2 months till RAGNAR, but I think I'll be ready.
              Good grief...you look to be about ready now! That is some serious running.

Comment

• So, I am running in a big Houston 10k tomorrow. I set a pr in it last year, and I'm hoping to better that. Anything 46:00 or better would be great (my pr is 46:56). I have been running some fast miles at lower HRs than last fall, when I set my half mary PR.

Anyway, I went to my local awesome super running store to pick up some new shorts and tops to replace some of my nasty rancid ones (three years of almost daily running renders stuff impervious to laundry). And while I was there I tried on some shoes. I was particularly interested in some of the Brooks offerings. The green silence was pretty good, and something I'm going to put on my list. The pure flow was not bad but probably not something I'd buy. But the pure connect - wow. Holy awesome. I put it on my feet and then took a spin and wow. Love at first stride. Works magnificently with my gait. Lightweight and comfy. Bought the last pair of size 12 they had. I like them so much I may even race in them tomorrow.

Comment

• I ran around 8 am on Tuesday and it was close to 40 degrees. I went out this morning and it was already reading 66 on the iPod and I was not prepared for the quick transition to warm and very muggy. I felt like I hit a wall around 3.3 and struggled to get close to 5 when I was planning to run 6-7 miles. I was amazed that it just hit me so hard and I can tell I've really come to enjoy running in the cold, perhaps because it really thins out the humid air here. I think that means I get back on the bike tomorrow.
                  I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Wow. I didn't know I had a race like that in me. Unofficially I ran a 44:30. Bested my pr by 2:30.

Needless to say I highly recommend the brooks pure connect.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      Wow. I didn't know I had a race like that in me. Unofficially I ran a 44:30. Bested my pr by 2:30.

congrats, that impressive - I know I don't have a race like that in me

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                        Wow. I didn't know I had a race like that in me. Unofficially I ran a 44:30. Bested my pr by 2:30.

Congrats on the PR. Is the running store Luke's?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                          Congrats on the PR. Is the running store Luke's?
                          It is. I love that store.

Best of all, there was this guy at work (a friend of mine, to be clear) who has been talking some mild smack all week, knowing that he's a bit faster than me. At least he was. I beat him by 10 seconds today.

Official time was a 44:25. The last 10k was just off my 10k pr (which is almost 3 years old at this point, to be fair). The video shows me that I have a bit of stuff to work on form-wise - I cross over the middle line a bit - but that's to be expected when you're booking it.

Comment

• Congrats Niku! Very awesome run!

And thanks for introducing me to Luke's
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Congrats Niku! Very awesome run!

And thanks for introducing me to Luke's
                              Funny epilogue - Luke's was a sponsor, of course (it is for almost every big local race) and so was Brooks. So Luke's had a booth set up with Brooks shoes they were showing off. And who should be there in the booth but one of the saleswomen who helped me out yesterday, showing off the Pure Connect to a few people. I couldn't help but add my two cents as I walked by, including the fact that (a) I liked it so much that I broke my own rule about never wearing new stuff on race day and (b) I set a pr by 2:30. Least I could do for her, especially after she went out of her way to find me my size 12s.

Comment

• Awesome job, Niku. I need another pair of shoes so now I've got something else to throw into the mix.
                                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X