No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran my first ever half marathon this morning. Did it at about 90-95% of what pace calculators say I should run a half marathon in since I am in training and all. Took two days off prior (as is my habit during rest weeks). Temperature was 70 the entire time, high humidity, and on crushed granite trails. Also, in brand new shoes that I had never run in before (weartesting the shoes).

And I still eked out a 1:45:30. I was surprised at how short the race felt. Fun distance - I feel like I could run another one next weekend. Local races are fun, and this one even had a pretty cool medal.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/73819663
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• While I'm waiting for my bone scan appointment on my shin I've been hitting the elliptical as much as possible. So far I'm not a big fan of that machine. I spend about 30 minutes at a time on it at a decent resistance level but I can't quite get the burn that I want in my legs. I get a decent cardio workout but nothing like running. Each time I use the machine I put the incline dwon as far as possible to try and simulate running and I put the resistance almost as high as my body weight can tolerate but I still don't feel exhausted after 30 minutes like I do running hard. Maybe I'm in good shape but I wish I could just get back to running.

Anyone else ever experienced the same thing while trying to workout on an elliptical?
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
        While I'm waiting for my bone scan appointment on my shin I've been hitting the elliptical as much as possible. So far I'm not a big fan of that machine. I spend about 30 minutes at a time on it at a decent resistance level but I can't quite get the burn that I want in my legs. I get a decent cardio workout but nothing like running. Each time I use the machine I put the incline dwon as far as possible to try and simulate running and I put the resistance almost as high as my body weight can tolerate but I still don't feel exhausted after 30 minutes like I do running hard. Maybe I'm in good shape but I wish I could just get back to running.

Anyone else ever experienced the same thing while trying to workout on an elliptical?
        For me, going on an eliptical requires a very fast pace on a high setting to really get my heartrate going.

It's been a while, but for some reason I seem to remember it hitting my legs as something between running and biking - like more burn in my thighs than I ever get running.

But seriously, the pace was fast enough that it felt like a sprint. It became more of an issue of coordination at that speed than of muscle fatigue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
          While I'm waiting for my bone scan appointment on my shin I've been hitting the elliptical as much as possible. So far I'm not a big fan of that machine. I spend about 30 minutes at a time on it at a decent resistance level but I can't quite get the burn that I want in my legs. I get a decent cardio workout but nothing like running. Each time I use the machine I put the incline dwon as far as possible to try and simulate running and I put the resistance almost as high as my body weight can tolerate but I still don't feel exhausted after 30 minutes like I do running hard. Maybe I'm in good shape but I wish I could just get back to running.

I'm no runner, but a few years ago I started working out in the morning before school (so, more than a few years ago I guess). I was very out of shape so I started on the elliptical. For the first few weeks it was a very good work out, but after about 1 month I felt I wasn't getting as much out of it as I would like. So I switched the treadmill and found that it was much easier to get the exhausted feeling I wanted.

In other words, I agree.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I'm no runner, but a few years ago I started working out in the morning before school (so, more than a few years ago I guess). I was very out of shape so I started on the elliptical. For the first few weeks it was a very good work out, but after about 1 month I felt I wasn't getting as much out of it as I would like. So I switched the treadmill and found that it was much easier to get the exhausted feeling I wanted.

In other words, I agree.
            The elliptical was designed for women to socialize while convincing themselves they're getting a workout. And it serves that purpose pretty well.

It's not a long-term fitness machine.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              The elliptical was designed for women to socialize while convincing themselves they're getting a workout. And it serves that purpose pretty well.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Ha...nothing about you. You tried it for a month and moved on.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Ha...nothing about you. You tried it for a month and moved on.
                  I did meet some very nice ladies during that month.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Ha! I agree with that....or at least I'm finding it to be true. I'm afraid if I put the resistance any higher my weight won't push the pedals down.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Anything you can do while reading a book, just doesn't come across as fitness to me. Your post reminded me of all the times I've gone to the gym and seen a line of women with their books or magazines perched on the eliptical for reading while they "workout".

In all fairness, there was always a group that did the same with the recumbent cycles and treadmills. Legs barely moving as they causually read. I always thought - if I'm relaxed enough that I can read, I'm doing something wrong.

On the other hand, having a TV on as a distraction works well for me.

Comment

• This is more venting than anything else, but

Kaysville has turned the old Rio Grande-Santa Fe right of way into a jogging/bicycle path. I decide to take it and see were it ended up (the Layton end at Gentile was not paved). About 1/3 mile from a cross street (Weaver Lane in Layton) the pavement ends! The right of way is still covered with road bed material ( sharp rocks). It wasn't so bad for me, kind of like walking in sand, but Otis' paws didn't like it He limped off and on all the way home.
                        Last edited by happyone; 03-28-2011, 06:30 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Those of you who use a GPS or other such device...

When you are running in a race, do you use the mileage markers set up by the race organizers to determine your per/mile pace? Or do you rely on your GPS?

For whatever reason, they don't ever match up exactly for me. Which isn't a huge deal. I've usually just gone with the numbers on my Garmin.

But coming down a steep sided canyon last year I lost satelite for a couple of miles. It has me thinking about the benefits of perhaps going with the race marked distances - so that I can continue to track pace per mile even if I lose reception.

Comment

• I usually just use the GPS. I've never been in a race where I've lost reception before. At the St George marathon, the mile markers were within a couple of feet of my GPS mileage the entire way. It was pretty amazing to hear 3 or 4 Garmins beep in unison when we all hit the mile marker at the same time.

However, on my first marathon in Sacramento, they told us at the beginning that their mile markers were off and that we shouldn't rely on them for pacing. This made it tricky for me, as I was still using the Nike Plus on the iPod and it was starting to give me some funky mileage about that time. Staying on pace was next to impossible on that course without a GPS.

In StG they passed out those disposable pace wristbands. I wore one, but didn't look at it more than a couple of times because I had the Garmin on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              Those of you who use a GPS or other such device...

When you are running in a race, do you use the mileage markers set up by the race organizers to determine your per/mile pace? Or do you rely on your GPS?

For whatever reason, they don't ever match up exactly for me. Which isn't a huge deal. I've usually just gone with the numbers on my Garmin.

But coming down a steep sided canyon last year I lost satelite for a couple of miles. It has me thinking about the benefits of perhaps going with the race marked distances - so that I can continue to track pace per mile even if I lose reception.
                              Having helped organize a race for the first time last year, I'd say to definitely rely on the garmin. Big races have the clout to make these match up pretty well, but we had to move around mileage markers for all sorts of reasons. We really just tried to get them close.
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• I read this thread, and to be honest, I want to be a runner like you all.

I just don't see it happening.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X