The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    Any thoughts on Reebok Zigtech shoes? I saw the reviews on Amazon, Runners World doesn't have any reviews that I could find.

I use Nike Tailwinds, because that's what alway felt the best. But I'm a shoe neo-phyte, so I tun to CUF for wisdom.
    I'll repeat some advice that I've heard since high school and it has been repeated on here a bit as well. Go to a running store (not foot locker or Gart Brothers) and get fitted for a pair of shoes.

I recently went to one store in Houston and they were great. They had me walk/run without shoes on. Then they brought out 5 or 6 pairs and I tried them all while walking/running. They helped me narrow the shoes down to two pairs (which I both liked) and I've been very happy with the pair that I finally selected. I made note of the other pair and I might buy them online (which will save me maybe $10).
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• In my ever ending quest to lose weight and improve my health, I have been jogging over the last 2-3 week. Well, more like run 5 min, walk 5 min, rinse and repeat. Anyway, I don't know how you guys do it. The whole time I am out, my feet hurt, my knees hurt, my back hurts, and my shins hurt.

Talk me down, gentlemen. Tell me that this gets better. Talk me down.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
        In my ever ending quest to lose weight and improve my health, I have been jogging over the last 2-3 week. Well, more like run 5 min, walk 5 min, rinse and repeat. Anyway, I don't know how you guys do it. The whole time I am out, my feet hurt, my knees hurt, my back hurts, and my shins hurt.

It does. You just have to stick with it and not over-do it in the early going.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

In my ever ending quest to lose weight and improve my health, I have been jogging over the last 2-3 week. Well, more like run 5 min, walk 5 min, rinse and repeat. Anyway, I don't know how you guys do it. The whole time I am out, my feet hurt, my knees hurt, my back hurts, and my shins hurt.

It absolutely does. Two years ago one mile killed me - couldn't run it. Be patient and consistent.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

or just get into speed walking, and invest in some decent shoes

Really just don't try and do too much too soon,

You know this, but I'll say it anyway, listen to your body - it will tell you if you are pushing too hard. I've said this somewhere in here before, but when I started, I couldn't walk a mile in 20 minutes much less run one.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I ran 3 miles on Thursday and my left shin was really hurting. I iced it down real good but I've been having pains in the same area of the tibia all weekend. The pain has subsided today, but I'm not going to do anything on it until after my doctor appointment scheduled for tomorrow.

I'm almost convinced it is a stress fracture, but I think I cuaght it early enough this time that my recovery shouldn't be 3 months like it was last time (I ran on my fracture last time until I couldn't walk). I'm hoping for a recovery period of 4 weeks, which will keep me on schedule to start marathon training in late May.

Now I just need to find a suitable workout to keep my cardio up while I recover. I'm thinking of joining my company's fitness center (in the same building and only $18/month) since they have some really nice exercise bikes. Any other suggestions for low/no impact workouts?
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I was pointed to an article recently that disputes the effectiveness of compression socks from several studies. In case you care to read... An Update on Compression Clothing.

Also, as far as injuries go, do you normally notice an injury during the run or later on? After running on Saturday, I noticed that I couldn't clinch my right foot as much as I normally can. It has eased up some, but not completely. Then after this morning's run, I noticed about mid-day that my left ankle was tender. I didn't notice either one while running and felt completely fine today.

I have tried altering my form a little, but it made it more difficult. I actually feel best when running with the jogging stroller which is completely fine with my wife.

(3 completely random topics.)
                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• All of this extra training and speedwork is having an effect for me. I'm running 40+ miles per week right now (my previous high was 38; each of the last two weeks has been higher) and doing some intense speedwork.

Missed my morning run yesterday because of the time change, so I did it in the evening. Ran a 46:30 10k without trying or meaning to. Last mile in about 6:45. This is without any rest since last Friday (7 on friday, 14 Saturday, 4 Sunday). Had I worried about pacing and such I think I easily would have been under 46.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                    I was pointed to an article recently that disputes the effectiveness of compression socks from several studies. In case you care to read... An Update on Compression Clothing.
                    After hurting my calf last spring, I started wearing a compression sleeve on my lower leg when running. I didn't run much, because I was still recovering, so I don't know how much it helped then.

I also wore it when running the marathon. I noticed at the end of the race that the calf muscles on the leg I wore the sleeve on were not nearly as sore as the muscles on the leg with no sleeve.

That is my scientific finding. So for me, I'm convinced that the sleeves help. In particular, I intend to keep wearing them on long runs so as to keep from reinjuring myself.

I went out and ran 13 miles Saturday. It can still be tough to try to run slow. But I did notice that at the end of the run I wasn't losing any speed - which I probably was doing a year ago.

Today I ran a quick 4 miles - at least quick for me - felt great afterward. I had planned to average 7:30 per mile, but ended up around 7:20. I'm hoping that throwing some speed in to my workouts will help when I make the transition from marathon training to 10K training for the tri later in the summer.

Niku - 46 for a 10K sounds great. I'd LOVE to run one that fast. I'm hoping to break 50 minutes during the tri in July, with averaging 8 min per mile being something that would make me overjoyed.

Comment

• I had a 2.5 hour doctor's appointment today with little waiting around. They did some x-rays (came back negative) an ultrasound (also negative) and some poking and prodding. Everything looked normal based on all the tests. The doctor is thinking, based on what I told her which was exactly how things were feeling, that there is a slight stress fracture that is unnoticeable on x-rays. They scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic doctor so they can do a bone scan and any other tests. The earliest appointment available was two weeks from today, so from now until then I'm on "no-impact" exercise regimen. I'm now looking for a decent place to use an elliptical machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        After hurting my calf last spring, I started wearing a compression sleeve on my lower leg when running. I didn't run much, because I was still recovering, so I don't know how much it helped then.

I also wore it when running the marathon. I noticed at the end of the race that the calf muscles on the leg I wore the sleeve on were not nearly as sore as the muscles on the leg with no sleeve.

That is my scientific finding. So for me, I'm convinced that the sleeves help. In particular, I intend to keep wearing them on long runs so as to keep from reinjuring myself.

I went out and ran 13 miles Saturday. It can still be tough to try to run slow. But I did notice that at the end of the run I wasn't losing any speed - which I probably was doing a year ago.

Today I ran a quick 4 miles - at least quick for me - felt great afterward. I had planned to average 7:30 per mile, but ended up around 7:20. I'm hoping that throwing some speed in to my workouts will help when I make the transition from marathon training to 10K training for the tri later in the summer.

Niku - 46 for a 10K sounds great. I'd LOVE to run one that fast. I'm hoping to break 50 minutes during the tri in July, with averaging 8 min per mile being something that would make me overjoyed.
                        I've been doing just this. Once or twice a week (always on Wednesdays, and sometimes on Mondays) I toss in some major speed workouts. Tomorrow I have some 800 repeats. Yesterday wasn't supposed to be that fast, but I felt good after the first mile (laid down a 7:54) so I decided to turn it into a tempo run of sorts and turn on the jets. Some days you feel it, some you don't.

Anyway, the gains I've been seeing from the speed workouts are pretty incredible. I haven't tried to do a 5k lately but I think I could smash my PR (which is a 21:40, run on a day 18 months ago when I felt otherworldly). Between that, the increased weekly mileage, the new form, and the lighter weight (I now weigh less than I have at any time since my junior year of HS), I am seeing some major gains.

I can't say enough good stuff about the form change. There was an adjustment period, but I have absolutely zero pain. Zero. Some minor muscle soreness in my calves/hamstrings/quads sometimes after long runs, but it's the "good" kind. And, again, I'm running more miles per week than I ever have before. Usually my knees would be achy - not injured, just achy.

I'm a major believer in this midfoot striking thing, among other changes I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          I've been doing just this. Once or twice a week (always on Wednesdays, and sometimes on Mondays) I toss in some major speed workouts. Tomorrow I have some 800 repeats. Yesterday wasn't supposed to be that fast, but I felt good after the first mile (laid down a 7:54) so I decided to turn it into a tempo run of sorts and turn on the jets. Some days you feel it, some you don't.

Anyway, the gains I've been seeing from the speed workouts are pretty incredible. I haven't tried to do a 5k lately but I think I could smash my PR (which is a 21:40, run on a day 18 months ago when I felt otherworldly). Between that, the increased weekly mileage, the new form, and the lighter weight (I now weigh less than I have at any time since my junior year of HS), I am seeing some major gains.

I can't say enough good stuff about the form change. There was an adjustment period, but I have absolutely zero pain. Zero. Some minor muscle soreness in my calves/hamstrings/quads sometimes after long runs, but it's the "good" kind. And, again, I'm running more miles per week than I ever have before. Usually my knees would be achy - not injured, just achy.

I'm a major believer in this midfoot striking thing, among other changes I've made.
                          That's great to hear.

I haven't made any big changes or done anything that I would consider a transformation, but I have paid closer attention to how my feet land. For the most part I am pretty good about striking midfoot, but it isn't uncommon for my heel to lightly touch right before most of my weight hits midfoot. Of course, I haven't looked as closely at form as you have been or made a concerted effort to fix/change anything.

I have noticed that when I'm striking midfoot I like to roll up onto my forefoot and push back, which puts a little more stress on my calf (and soleus in particular). Since I've had calf issues in the past, I usually try to just lift my foot rather than roll and push back. Results in less calf stress, but I'm sure also less efficiency and speed. I figure once I've got a really good base again and some consistency, I'll go with it and see how it feels. But not this close to return from injury.

Comment

• I ran down Shamrock Street this morning. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Comment

• Yesterday afternoon was one of those days that I enjoy walking in the rain. It was nice until about the last mile or so when the wind started blowing and my hands got cold

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                                Yesterday afternoon was one of those days that I enjoy walking in the rain. It was nice until about the last mile or so when the wind started blowing and my hands got cold
                                I feel your pain. http://court.fastrunningblog.com/blo...3-16-2011.html

Comment

Working...
                                X