The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beefytee
    Board eye candy
    • Mar 2009
    • 7542

    #2161
    Race is Saturday.

    I been through the race guide and have some questions.

    The race starts at 7AM and it has a bus take us from the finish line to the start, but it says the bus loads at 5AM. They say you can have someone drop you off instead. What time do you think we should plan on getting up there if we have someone drop us off? I don't think I need more than 10 minutes to warm up, but it might be crazy and take awhile to make it there. I don't know.

    By 7AM, I'm guessing it won't be too cold up there. I've been running in the 50's and 60's and get a little cold, but I don't mind the cold. The low that night in the valley is supposed to be 65. I'm thinking I don't want to shed any clothes before or during the race and should be fine with just the shorts and shirt.

    Other than that, I don't know what I don't know.

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21150

      #2162
      Originally posted by beefytee View Post
      Race is Saturday.

      I been through the race guide and have some questions.

      The race starts at 7AM and it has a bus take us from the finish line to the start, but it says the bus loads at 5AM. They say you can have someone drop you off instead. What time do you think we should plan on getting up there if we have someone drop us off? I don't think I need more than 10 minutes to warm up, but it might be crazy and take awhile to make it there. I don't know.

      By 7AM, I'm guessing it won't be too cold up there. I've been running in the 50's and 60's and get a little cold, but I don't mind the cold. The low that night in the valley is supposed to be 65. I'm thinking I don't want to shed any clothes before or during the race and should be fine with just the shorts and shirt.

      Other than that, I don't know what I don't know.
      I don't have (good) answers to any of your questions but do want to wish you good luck on the race.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • Clark Addison
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10316

        #2163
        Do you already have the race packet? In my not-all-that-extensive experience it really depends on the race. I've been to ones where the traffic immediately around the race area can get pretty bad, and you sometimes need to park quite a ways from the start, so I would always try to get there an hour or so early.

        Good luck!

        Comment

        • beefytee
          Board eye candy
          • Mar 2009
          • 7542

          #2164
          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          Do you already have the race packet? In my not-all-that-extensive experience it really depends on the race. I've been to ones where the traffic immediately around the race area can get pretty bad, and you sometimes need to park quite a ways from the start, so I would always try to get there an hour or so early.

          Good luck!
          We pick up the packet Friday evening.

          Comment

          • BigPiney
            Huge Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 12375

            #2165
            Originally posted by beefytee View Post
            Race is Saturday.

            I been through the race guide and have some questions.

            The race starts at 7AM and it has a bus take us from the finish line to the start, but it says the bus loads at 5AM. They say you can have someone drop you off instead. What time do you think we should plan on getting up there if we have someone drop us off? I don't think I need more than 10 minutes to warm up, but it might be crazy and take awhile to make it there. I don't know.

            By 7AM, I'm guessing it won't be too cold up there. I've been running in the 50's and 60's and get a little cold, but I don't mind the cold. The low that night in the valley is supposed to be 65. I'm thinking I don't want to shed any clothes before or during the race and should be fine with just the shorts and shirt.

            Other than that, I don't know what I don't know.
            You will need time to poo if you are like 90% of the people at the start. I get the nervous poos. When I have done marathons and Halfs I will get in line for the porta potty about 30 minutes before the race time (the lines can be long) so I have time to get up there and then have diarrhea, and when I am done, walk back around and get in line again for one last go.

            It will be a bit crazy at the start so if you do get dropped off, plan on arriving before 6:30 just to make sure you have time. I would plan for 6:15 if it were me, so I could have poo time.

            The weather sounds great. I have done some cold starts and my solution was to buy some long tube socks from walmart and use them as arm warmers/gloves for the first few miles and then toss them at the first aid station.

            Comment

            • Clark Addison
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10316

              #2166
              Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

              You will need time to poo if you are like 90% of the people at the start. I get the nervous poos. When I have done marathons and Halfs I will get in line for the porta potty about 30 minutes before the race time (the lines can be long) so I have time to get up there and then have diarrhea, and when I am done, walk back around and get in line again for one last go.
              In one of the races I've done a few times there is a small wooded area a mile or so after the start. As I've run by there are always a bunch of people squatting amongst the trees.

              So I guess I am saying you have options, beefy.

              Comment

              • beefytee
                Board eye candy
                • Mar 2009
                • 7542

                #2167
                This is super helpful. Thanks!

                Comment

                • bluegoose
                  7th round draft pick
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4121

                  #2168
                  Agree with Piney and Clark. I would shoot for at least an hour, if not 90 minutes early. At St. George half marathon last year, the porta potty lines were close to an hour long. The alternative is to hope that you can make until the first or second set of porta potties on the course and burn a few minutes of race time there. Would not recommend.

                  As for temps and clothing, if you're not a little cold for the first mile or two, you're probably overdressed. Wear less than you think you'll need. Or Just plan on trashing a cheap outer layer along the way once your body temp rises a little.

                  Comment

                  • Clark Addison
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10316

                    #2169
                    On the temperature, my favorite race temperature is about 55 degrees. As long as it is at least 40 degrees, I'm not bringing any extra clothes. I don't mind being cold for the first few minutes; you warm up quickly.

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27897

                      #2170
                      Good luck Beefy!
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • Pelado
                        Bald not naked
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 21150

                        #2171
                        Be sure to stretch out thoroughly before the race - especially if it's tid bit nippy out.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

                        Comment

                        • BigPiney
                          Huge Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12375

                          #2172
                          Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Be sure to stretch out thoroughly before the race - especially if it's tid bit nippy out.

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37997

                            #2173
                            Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Be sure to stretch out thoroughly before the race - especially if it's tid bit nippy out.
                            Its a "tit bit nipply".
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21150

                              #2174
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post

                              Its a "tit bit nipply".
                              So true, Clark.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 37997

                                #2175
                                Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                                So true, Clark.
                                there is a nip in the air.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...