No announcement yet.

"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder how much the addition of Elder Gong to the 12 had in the decision. There are now 3 (to my knowledge) members of the 12 with close family members who are gay

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      The funny thing about this time is that it seems everyone except the brethren knew where the rocks were. Thankfully they sometimes listen to the passengers and even the people in other ships making a similar journey.
      The other option is getting in another ship or hopping in a row boat and going at it on your own.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• You people just don't see what's happening.

What's happening is that this was a test to see if people would remain faithful to the leadership in tough times.

Those who fell away or left the Church because of this policy are destined for an eternal existence in the Telestial Kingdom, which is better than earth, but still where Adolf Hitler and Jeffrey Dahmer will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
          You people just don't see what's happening.

What's happening is that this was a test to see if people would remain faithful to the leadership in tough times.

Those who fell away or left the Church because of this policy are destined for an eternal existence in the Telestial Kingdom, which is better than earth, but still where Adolf Hitler and Jeffrey Dahmer will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
            You people just don't see what's happening.

I love this post! So awesome.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              Also, I'll take you up on the bet, but let's put more than a penny on it. How about the loser of the bet flies to the location of the winner and buys the winner and a guest dinner at the winner's choice of restaurant?

Because I'm betting something won't happen, we have to have a boundary on the timing of the bet so I don't win by default when one or both of us die. I'm 49 years old. You are slightly younger I believe. Both of us are overweight so I think we've got about 25 years on our life-expectancy. How about we say within the next 25 years?

Here is a draft of the terms:

BigFatMeanie and Wuapinmon hereby agree to a bet on whether gay marriage (i.e. man married to man or woman married to woman) will be welcomed and solemnized in LDS temples as a matter of general course (i.e. we're not including rare situations in which someone posed as a member of the opposite gender and convinced someone to get married in the temple and it turned out a dude was married to a dude, or something rare/accidental along those lines). If gay marriage is welcomed and solemnized in LDS temples any time before the year 2045, Wuap wins the bet. If gay marriage is not welcomed and solemnized in LDS temples before the year 2045, BFM wins the bet. The loser of the bet agrees to travel to the winner's location and buy the winner and a guest dinner at a restaurant of the winner's choosing.

Do you agree to this bet? Maybe we should have one of the super-l337 lawyers on this board review for any possible loopholes?
              I'll take that bet, you're gonna regret it, cause gay marriage ain't a sin. wuapinmon, rosin up your bow and play your fiddle hard, cause gay sex will be sanctified in the Provo 15th Ward. And if you win you get a BBQ meal with slaw of cole, but if you lose Big Fat Meanie gets your soul.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                you miss wuap’s point. it has nothing to do with his subjective belief re fallibility, but everything to do with the church’s representations and manifestations re fallibility. the version of the church you and creek have put together makes sense and is coherent, but is patently not reflective of the words and actions of senior apostles.
                Exactly. There's fallibility, then there's always being <redacted> wrong. Anyone can make a mistake. 15 men all called as Special Witnesses should probably have a better handle on God's Will than they often seem to. Also, regarding creek's idea that it's God's idea to do revelation like we do, as old_gregg points out, sure, we can say that they're fallible, but, their attitude is to promote that we not question them, that we obey, that we accept everything they say as God's Will. They can't do that and then fall back on fallibility when they screw up, as they quite clearly did in 2015.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• &amp;quot;Hold my root beer&amp;quot; - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  Exactly. There's fallibility, then there's always being wrong. Anyone can make a mistake. 15 men all called as Special Witnesses should probably have a better handle on God's Will than they often seem to. Also, regarding creek's idea that it's God's idea to do revelation like we do, as old_gregg points out, sure, we can say that they're fallible, but, their attitude is to promote that we not question them, that we obey, that we accept everything they say as God's Will. They can't do that and then fall back on fallibility when they screw up, as they quite clearly did in 2015.
                  Straw man.

Can you give us a minute to enjoy some gen con discussion?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Straw man.

Can you give us a minute to enjoy some gen con discussion?
                    Sure. I've been camping all weekend and just got back. Enjoy conference talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      I'll take that bet, you're gonna regret it, cause gay marriage ain't a sin. wuapinmon, rosin up your bow and play your fiddle hard, cause gay sex will be sanctified in the Provo 15th Ward. And if you win you get a BBQ meal with slaw of cole, but if you lose Big Fat Meanie gets your soul.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        No applause, please.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          No applause, please.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            goes without saying that this was a dumb policy and not from god. glad that RMN is the GOAT and he's simply doing GOAT things.
                            My impression is that RMN was the primary one pushing for this. Monson wasn't even lucid when it came out.

Comment

• I can’t believe how much you guys overthink shit. Even when the church does exactly what you want you find a reason to not be happy.

It’s like you ask your wife for sex, she says sure. After the sex you get pissed off because you had to ask. Might want to look in the mirror and realize you are no prize and be grateful she took one for the team. It’s not always going to be on your terms. Need to stay out of your feelings and enjoy the ride (no pun intended).
                              *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                I can’t believe how much you guys overthink shit. Even when the church does exactly what you want you find a reason to not be happy.

It’s like you ask your wife for sex, she says sure. After the sex you get pissed off because you had to ask. Might want to look in the mirror and realize you are no prize and be grateful she took one for the team. It’s not always going to be on your terms. Need to stay out of your feelings and enjoy the ride (no pun intended).
                                I like when real world examples from the heart are proffered here on CS.

Taking one for the team... she must really love you.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X