I learned in church today

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pelado
    Bald not naked
    • Sep 2010
    • 21145

    #7021
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Maybe instead of following DDD's third hour advice, you should follow the programs' third step advice.
    I still haven't passed step 1.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment

    • Dwight Schr-ute
      Members Only
      • May 2011
      • 4917

      #7022
      Some real good advice in this LDS Daily article for those of you having a bit of marital strife.


      With tears in her eyes, Emily looked at Brent. His words turned her world upside down. Feelings of betrayal and hurt consumed her. Ten years of marriage were suddenly interrupted by her husband’s unfaithfulness. Her eyes flooded with tears. She couldn’t help but wonder a million questions like “what do we do now?” “what do […]
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

      Comment

      • OceanBlue
        Junior Member
        • May 2012
        • 860

        #7023
        Originally posted by Topper View Post
        But those are greatly modified and won't aid in addiction given they deleted many important details.
        Totally agree. Like step 9, leaving out "except when to do so would injure them or others " is a huge deletion.

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #7024
          Got a double dose of "ponderizing" today. Youth speaker was assigned the topic of "How does ponderizing help me?" then our HT came and challenged us to ponderize as a family, also included a nice out that we don't have to accept the challenge as we have our agency.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • LVAllen
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2013
            • 3277

            #7025
            Someone at SLC really likes the concept of teaching.via recorded roundtable. Got a full hour of video on Sabbath day from the Pre-conference Leadership Training.

            Comment

            • Bo Diddley
              Senior
              • Jul 2012
              • 18806

              #7026
              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              Got a double dose of "ponderizing" today. Youth speaker was assigned the topic of "How does ponderizing help me?" then our HT came and challenged us to ponderize as a family, also included a nice out that we don't have to accept the challenge as we have our agency.
              Free Agency!

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27893

                #7027
                I learned that there are a lot of crazy things going on in SLC. No specifics of the crazy things were given during the really long testimony. Maybe the board members that live in SLC can give some specifics on the crazy things going on there.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18806

                  #7028
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  I learned that there are a lot of crazy things going on in SLC. No specifics of the crazy things were given during the really long testimony. Maybe the board members that live in SLC can give some specifics on the crazy things going on there.
                  Thankful for my home in NE Orem. #livinginzion #tendermercies

                  Comment

                  • SandYFan
                    Junior Member
                    • May 2013
                    • 754

                    #7029
                    The wife and I met with our new bishop yesterday, just a get-to-know-you thing.

                    Spend a few minutes discussing our family, etc. and then as we're wrapping up, he says "Is there anything else you want to talk about?"

                    So I figure it's probably fair to be straight with him about my hangups with the church, and how I attend Sacrament Meeting to help wrangle the kids, but don't participate in any other way. Then my wife jumps in with her concerns, and while she is remaining full active, she does so with the full hope that the Church will reverse course on same-sex marriage, and allow women to hold the priesthood.

                    Bishop is nothing but smiles. Stresses repeatedly that he wants us involved in the ward as much as we want to be involved. Repeatedly stresses that he certainly doesn't know everything either, and empathizes a lot with our stance on same-sex marriage. Repeatedly stresses that he feels like our ward is open and accepting, and to please express our opinions in class if we feel like it.

                    It was kind of weird. Not that I was expecting hellfire and damnation talk, but never once tried to dissuade us from our views in any way. Nor did he tell us to keep our thoughts to ourselves.

                    Do you think he's par for the course, or is he a weird bishop in the church?

                    Comment

                    • smokymountainrain
                      Impressive Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22593

                      #7030
                      Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                      The wife and I met with our new bishop yesterday, just a get-to-know-you thing.

                      Spend a few minutes discussing our family, etc. and then as we're wrapping up, he says "Is there anything else you want to talk about?"

                      So I figure it's probably fair to be straight with him about my hangups with the church, and how I attend Sacrament Meeting to help wrangle the kids, but don't participate in any other way. Then my wife jumps in with her concerns, and while she is remaining full active, she does so with the full hope that the Church will reverse course on same-sex marriage, and allow women to hold the priesthood.

                      Bishop is nothing but smiles. Stresses repeatedly that he wants us involved in the ward as much as we want to be involved. Repeatedly stresses that he certainly doesn't know everything either, and empathizes a lot with our stance on same-sex marriage. Repeatedly stresses that he feels like our ward is open and accepting, and to please express our opinions in class if we feel like it.

                      It was kind of weird. Not that I was expecting hellfire and damnation talk, but never once tried to dissuade us from our views in any way. Nor did he tell us to keep our thoughts to ourselves.

                      Do you think he's par for the course, or is he a weird bishop in the church?
                      I think Bishops like that are more common that some might think. My experience is that most bishops just want people to come to church and don't get too caught up on many of the more trivial matters.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

                      Comment

                      • MartyFunkhouser
                        Disciple of RNGesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 18759

                        #7031
                        Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        I think Bishops like that are more common that some might think. My experience is that most bishops just want people to come to church and don't get too caught up on many of the more trivial matters.
                        I can think of at least 2-3 bishops that I've had in the past that would have reacted in this manner.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #7032
                          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          I think Bishops like that are more common that some might think. My experience is that most bishops just want people to come to church and don't get too caught up on many of the more trivial matters.
                          Also, Bishops are increasingly part of a younger generation (read not the old racist xenophobe types like BYU71/SeattleUte and to a lesser extent PAC and sometimes creekster) so I wouldnt doubt that a younger Bishop would react the same way. They have probably also read a few things here and there and realize that there are some legitimate questions to be asked.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • TexTechCoug
                            Carbonite
                            • Nov 2010
                            • 891

                            #7033
                            Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                            ...with the full hope that the Church will reverse course on same-sex marriage...
                            I am glad to hear that you have an apparently accepting bishop. I've found both types over the years and I don't believe the hardliners are doing either the members or the Church any favors in the long run.

                            Obviously this was not the point of your post, but when you say reverse course on same-sex marriage do you mean baptism for their kids and no excommunications kind of reverse course or Church will perform and condone same-sex marriages kind of full reverse?

                            Comment

                            • SandYFan
                              Junior Member
                              • May 2013
                              • 754

                              #7034
                              Originally posted by TexTechCoug View Post
                              I am glad to hear that you have an apparently accepting bishop. I've found both types over the years and I don't believe the hardliners are doing either the members or the Church any favors in the long run.

                              Obviously this was not the point of your post, but when you say reverse course on same-sex marriage do you mean baptism for their kids and no excommunications kind of reverse course or Church will perform and condone same-sex marriages kind of full reverse?
                              Full reverse as in sex within marriage is not a sin. Not sure if she anticipates temple sealings for homosexual couples, but probably.

                              Comment

                              • TexTechCoug
                                Carbonite
                                • Nov 2010
                                • 891

                                #7035
                                Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                                Full reverse as in sex within marriage is not a sin. Not sure if she anticipates temple sealings for homosexual couples, but probably.
                                Thanks for the response. I find that a genuinely interesting take on gay marriage and the Church.

                                Comment

                                Working...