Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I would guess 4-5 hours.
    Agreed if we are talking baby backs. St. Louis more like 5-6.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Success smoking straight through at 225 for 4.5 hours. I think I still like JL's method best, but this is good to know when I just need to set it and forget it.

JL rub (applied a little too heavily) and Famous Dave's Sweet and Sassy sauce - not my favorite sauce, but it's all I had on hand in the way of a sweet sauce.

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I tried the Lebowski Texas Crutch, and I had some of the worst results I've gotten in years. The ribs weren't very meaty, though, so that definitely played a role. I wonder to what extent atmospheric conditions may alter the results.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          Success smoking straight through at 225 for 4.5 hours. I think I still like JL's method best, but this is good to know when I just need to set it and forget it.

JL rub (applied a little too heavily) and Famous Dave's Sweet and Sassy sauce - not my favorite sauce, but it's all I had on hand in the way of a sweet sauce.

Makes my mouth water!
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I tried the Lebowski Texas Crutch, and I had some of the worst results I've gotten in years. The ribs weren't very meaty, though, so that definitely played a role. I wonder to what extent atmospheric conditions may alter the results.
            I've had mixed results until I dialed it in. Too many variables to have a "fool-proof" method, IMO.
            I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• We had a successful cook today with a 3-pack of baby back ribs from Costco. I put Spade L Ranch pork on 2, but ran out and only had some Memphis Dust around, so I used that. I cooked close to the JL method, but did about 2.5 hours on the smoke process, at 180, then 2 hours at 275 double-wrapped in foil with 2/3 cup apple juice, then about 45 min with bbq sauces. I used Sweet Baby Ray's on the Memphis and one of the Spade racks, and Trader Joe's on the other Spade. They were all really good, but the winning combination was the Sweet Baby Ray's with Spade L Ranch. It was really tasty. We're definitely glad we got the Traeger, but it does limit our eating-out options, because everything else pales in comparison to what we've cooked on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                I've had mixed results until I dialed it in. Too many variables to have a "fool-proof" method, IMO.
                This is true of all BBQ. There are always going to be slight variations or adjustments to be made. No two cooks will ever be the same and the same can be said with the results. It is impossible to have a set "recipe" for BBQ. There are too many variables. Heat, humidity, meat quality, etc...
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Being inspired by sizzles effort a day or so ago, I am doing my family (parents, sister and her girls and my brood) a few racks of ribs!
                  I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• I smoked the ribs in the 4th for 4 hours then finished them off in the oven for 1.5 hours. They turned out just a tad dry. I'm doing spare ribs tomorrow and I'm going to try this 3-2-1 method.
                    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Being inspired by sizzles effort a day or so ago, I am doing my family (parents, sister and her girls and my brood) a few racks of ribs!
                      Effin Traeger! The damn thing kept tripping the breaker. I cleaned out the auger and took the hopper off and every time I turned on the smoker the fan would turn on for a split second and a breaker would pop. That quick. I got to believe it is the fan motor of the auger.
                      I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                        I smoked the ribs in the 4th for 4 hours then finished them off in the oven for 1.5 hours. They turned out just a tad dry. I'm doing spare ribs tomorrow and I'm going to try this 3-2-1 method.
                        Doing something else instead. Saving this for a later date.
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Effin Traeger! The damn thing kept tripping the breaker. I cleaned out the auger and took the hopper off and every time I turned on the smoker the fan would turn on for a split second and a breaker would pop. That quick. I got to believe it is the fan motor of the auger.
                          I'm at a lost now. We hooked the traeger up to a non GFCI outlet and it is working like a charm. All the outlets at the lake are GFCI protected. I guess it draws too much for the GFCI. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Back to the ribs, I have three baby back ribs on (1 pork spade L, 1 Butt Rub, 1 JH's Apple Chipotle) and four racks of lamb ribs that my dad had lying around in his freezer (2 in pork spade L and 2 JH's Apple Chipotle). I am anxious to see how well the lamb ribs come out.
                          I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

I'm at a lost now. We hooked the traeger up to a non GFCI outlet and it is working like a charm. All the outlets at the lake are GFCI protected. I guess it draws too much for the GFCI. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Back to the ribs, I have three baby back ribs on (1 pork spade L, 1 Butt Rub, 1 JH's Apple Chipotle) and four racks of lamb ribs that my dad had lying around in his freezer (2 in pork spade L and 2 JH's Apple Chipotle). I am anxious to see how well the lamb ribs come out.
                            I had this same problem. I had an electrician come out and rewire the outlet by my Traeger so that it is not on the GFI of my garage. No problems now.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Best ribs have done yet. The John Henry's Apple Chipotle was the favorite by far, although a bit over cooked (too close to the edge). I didn't have any apple juice on hand so I used some pomegranate juice and cut it 50/50 with apple cider vinegar. Success! The Butt Rub came in second and was cooked to perfection and the kids ate a whole rack (my 3 year old ate 5 ribs himself) of the Spade L despite being a bit over cooked (too close to the edge on the other side). All of the ribs were smothered with Sweet Baby Ray's. The lamb ribs had a really good taste up front but a rather gamey after taste. I didn't care for them but my dad made short work of the three racks that were left over. I took a raspberry chipotle sauce and smothered the racks and then topped it off with some SBR. Sorry for the blurry cell phone pics!

Last edited by FN Phat; 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM.
                              I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• Those ribs look absolutely delicious. They put yesterday's North Carolina barbeque to shame.
                                Not that, sickos.

Comment

Working...
                                X