3-2-1 method for smoked ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Tell me a little more about this. I have heard quite a few people mention it, but I haven't tried it because adding margarine to ribs sounds kind of disgusting. But maybe I should give it a shot. How much do you use, how do you apply it, etc.? This is right before you foil, correct?
    The Johnny Trigg method. It's good. Put a little Tiger Sauce with your Parkay and brown sugar. Since I don't eat sugar anymore, I've gone back to straight smoked dry ribs. I miss this version every now and again.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Tell me a little more about this. I have heard quite a few people mention it, but I haven't tried it because adding margarine to ribs sounds kind of disgusting. But maybe I should give it a shot. How much do you use, how do you apply it, etc.? This is right before you foil, correct?
      Yes, right before foil. To be honest, I am not sure the parkay did anything special. I used it in place of apple juice. I attribute most of the flavor and excellence to my awesomeness. That is hard to pass along.

Looked about like this,

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        To be honest, I am not sure the parkay did anything special. I used it in place of apple juice. I attribute most of the flavor and excellence to my awesomeness. That is hard to pass along.
        On a BBQ Pitmasters episode with ribs, they said that the margarine basically helps to keep the brown sugar from burning. Still, I agree with JL that margarine sounds bad. Wouldn't butter do just as good a job? Or would it burn, too?

Comment

• So hold up, 3 hours on smoke, pull the ribs, lay down additional brown sugar and margarine spread, then foil and back on? Am I following right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
            So hold up, 3 hours on smoke, pull the ribs, lay down additional brown sugar and margarine spread, then foil and back on? Am I following right?
            Here is a basic recipe/directions that turns out solid Johnny Trigg styled ribs. http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/Pe...igg-Method.htm
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

So hold up, 3 hours on smoke, pull the ribs, lay down additional brown sugar and margarine spread, then foil and back on? Am I following right?

1.5 hours smoke at 180, 2 hours at 275 wrapped in foil with the parlay and brown sugar, then unwrap back on at 250. Until done, about 45 minutes.

Comment

1.5 hours smoke at 180, 2 hours at 275 wrapped in foil with the parlay and brown sugar, then unwrap back on at 250. Until done, about 45 minutes.
                Why so short with the smoke?

Comment

OK, I am going to give this a shot.

Did you do baby back or St. Louis style?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Why so short with the smoke?
                    See the OP for this thread. This is a variation of the 3-2-1 method that seems to work well with Traegers. Your mileage may vary.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

OK, I am going to give this a shot.

Did you do baby back or St. Louis style?
                      Those were baby back. I really think the key was the brown sugar and the rub I used.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                        On a BBQ Pitmasters episode with ribs, they said that the margarine basically helps to keep the brown sugar from burning. Still, I agree with JL that margarine sounds bad. Wouldn't butter do just as good a job? Or would it burn, too?
                        The website the CJF posted below indicates that margarine will not burn like butter will. We just got a smoker a month ago and I think I'll try this this weekend.

Comment

• I totally misread the 275 as 225. Makes so much more sense now.

Comment

• 18 racks of baby backs. I'm running low on rub, so I mixed together my remaining Plowboy's Yardbird Rub and Bovine Bold. Just had enough. I think I'll hit them with a little cherry chipotle before they finish. Smoking them at 275. No wrap unless I have to. Lunch is at 1130 and thy went on at 630.

I need to order some more racks.
                            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                              No wrap unless I have to.
                              How do you determine this?

Comment

How do you determine this?
                                I was going to ask the same thing.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment