Did you know this streams on Amazon Instant Video?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Eddie
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 8098

    #781
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    OK, I'll admit it. The missus and I have been watching (and enjoying!) Reacher. I've read one Jack Reacher novel (it was all right, but not a masterpiece) and saw the movie with a midget playing the title role. So I wasn't sure about the series, but Mrs. PAC and I were looking for a new series and Amazon recommended Reacher to me, and Miss Scarlett and the Duke to my wife. We've been watching both and, surprisingly, she finds Reacher slightly more entertaining.

    If nothing else, the actor (Alan Ritchson) playing the title character fits the book description much, much more closely than did Tom Cruise (whom I still liked). It has lots of laughs, many of which are intended. I'm uncertain if Ritchson is a good actor, but since the character speaks in clipped, monotone sentence fragments and scowls a lot, it doesn't much matter. A guilty pleasure.
    My wife gave me a Reacher book to read for Christmas - when I saw the previews to the Prime show I instantly recognized the plot as being to the book I had just finished. Which, of course, increased my intrigue in watching the show. I haven't yet - but I'll probably watch the 1st episode tonight.

    Comment

    • PaloAltoCougar
      Semper infra dignitatem
      • Nov 2008
      • 16936

      #782
      Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

      I'll have to check that out. I have been watching Vienna Blood. Not too bad.
      I really like Vienna Blood, but I've been wondering if much of my enjoyment is simply because it's filmed in areas of Vienna I served in. And those areas have changed very little since the early 20th Century where the story is set. It depresses me that the my mission start date is essentially equidistant between today and 1919.

      Comment

      • BigPiney
        Huge Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 12366

        #783
        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

        I really like Vienna Blood, but I've been wondering if much of my enjoyment is simply because it's filmed in areas of Vienna I served in. And those areas have changed very little since the early 20th Century where the story is set. It depresses me that the my mission start date is essentially equidistant between today and 1919.
        you are old

        Comment

        • PaloAltoCougar
          Semper infra dignitatem
          • Nov 2008
          • 16936

          #784
          Originally posted by BigPiney View Post


          you are old

          Comment

          • Non Sequitur
            Where did I put my bodkin
            • Nov 2008
            • 5773

            #785
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            OK, I'll admit it. The missus and I have been watching (and enjoying!) Reacher. I've read one Jack Reacher novel (it was all right, but not a masterpiece) and saw the movie with a midget playing the title role. So I wasn't sure about the series, but Mrs. PAC and I were looking for a new series and Amazon recommended Reacher to me, and Miss Scarlett and the Duke to my wife. We've been watching both and, surprisingly, she finds Reacher slightly more entertaining.

            If nothing else, the actor (Alan Ritchson) playing the title character fits the book description much, much more closely than did Tom Cruise (whom I still liked). It has lots of laughs, many of which are intended. I'm uncertain if Ritchson is a good actor, but since the character speaks in clipped, monotone sentence fragments and scowls a lot, it doesn't much matter. A guilty pleasure.
            When I used to travel a lot, I read several of the Reacher books on planes (not great literature but neither is Mad Magazine). The stories are preposterous, but you love the character because he's a bad-ass who has figured out how to live off the grid, reject society and have casual sex with beautiful woman who still respect him after he leaves them. That's the ultimate male fantasy.

            I watched the entire season on Prime, and I enjoyed it, especially since the Reacher character follows the character in the books. If you know the books, it's difficult to accept Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21142

              #786
              Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

              When I used to travel a lot, I read several of the Reacher books on planes (not great literature but neither is Mad Magazine). The stories are preposterous, but you love the character because he's a bad-ass who has figured out how to live off the grid, reject society and have casual sex with beautiful woman who still respect him after he leaves them. That's the ultimate male fantasy.

              I watched the entire season on Prime, and I enjoyed it, especially since the Reacher character follows the character in the books. If you know the books, it's difficult to accept Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.
              I haven't read any of the books but enjoyed the first Tom Cruise Reacher movie (the second one not as much). My brother had read the books and went off about how Tom Cruise did not fit the description at all.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • BigPiney
                Huge Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12366

                #787
                Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                I haven't read any of the books but enjoyed the first Tom Cruise Reacher movie (the second one not as much). My brother had read the books and went off about how Tom Cruise did not fit the description at all.
                They are enjoyable, easy reads.

                Comment

                • Mormon Red Death
                  BYU Delenda Est
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8077

                  #788
                  Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                  When I used to travel a lot, I read several of the Reacher books on planes (not great literature but neither is Mad Magazine). The stories are preposterous, but you love the character because he's a bad-ass who has figured out how to live off the grid, reject society and have casual sex with beautiful woman who still respect him after he leaves them. That's the ultimate male fantasy.

                  I watched the entire season on Prime, and I enjoyed it, especially since the Reacher character follows the character in the books. If you know the books, it's difficult to accept Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.
                  its mindless and complete bullshit (yeah I'm sure they would be able to leave dead bodies everywhere with no consequences) but damn Its fun.
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                  "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37987

                    #789
                    Originally posted by Eddie View Post

                    My wife gave me a Reacher book to read for Christmas - when I saw the previews to the Prime show I instantly recognized the plot as being to the book I had just finished. Which, of course, increased my intrigue in watching the show. I haven't yet - but I'll probably watch the 1st episode tonight.
                    The first Reacher book was excellent. And as I understand it, that's the one the first season of the show is based on.

                    There are some other very good Reacher books, and some other just terrible ones. Lee Childs needs to try to create a new series so he can re-learn how to write.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21142

                      #790
                      The Descendants. I enjoyed it. And if not for some mentions here about the comforter, I might have missed that connection in the final scene.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • Pelado
                        Bald not naked
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 21142

                        #791
                        Paranoia - I think it had 4.5 stars on the rating, so maybe I was expecting too much. It fell a bit flat with me.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21142

                          #792
                          Who You Think I Am - French language film with Juliette Binoche.

                          I thought it would be a good barometer for how much French I've learned. The results? I don't know much French. I picked up a few words here and there. I did best when it showed text messages on screen. I can understand the written language much better than the spoken word.

                          Aside from the French issues, I enjoyed the movie.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16936

                            #793
                            The second season of Upload in available. I was going to start watching it but the missus, who didn't watch the first season, said she'd like to do so now, so we're going through that together. A second viewing is as enjoyable as the first. Some very clever writing with a fun (if utterly implausible) premise. Plus I like anything that makes the missus lol, which Upload does.

                            Comment

                            • Northwestcoug
                              Cocked and Loaded
                              • May 2011
                              • 18027

                              #794
                              Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              Who You Think I Am - French language film with Juliette Binoche.

                              I thought it would be a good barometer for how much French I've learned. The results? I don't know much French. I picked up a few words here and there. I did best when it showed text messages on screen. I can understand the written language much better than the spoken word.

                              Aside from the French issues, I enjoyed the movie.
                              One U.S. med student I knew was serious about learning French while in Montreal. He said watching Simpsons in French helped a lot. YMMV.

                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21142

                                #795
                                Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                                One U.S. med student I knew was serious about learning French while in Montreal. He said watching Simpsons in French helped a lot. YMMV.
                                Mange mon short.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...