The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mormon Red Death
    BYU Delenda Est
    • Nov 2008
    • 8077

    #1156
    Saturday night I saw the Michael Bay Classic The Rock on TNT. It was perfect timing as the next morning I went to alcatraz. Which reminds me of one of my favorite dialogues from movies

    Spoiler for For questionable language:
    Sean Connery as Mason: "Losers whine about their best while winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

    Nic Cage as Goodspeed: "Carla WAS the prom queen"


    I also saw theThe Debt yesterday. Of the 100 people in attendance I was the only one under 65. I can't decide if that was due to Hellen Mirren or that is was 4pm on a Wednesday. The movie was highly entertaining.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

    Comment

    • Katy Lied
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 9435

      #1157
      Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
      Saw "The Room" at The Tower with the girlfriend and a group of friends. It was fun having people heckle throughout. We tried to sync up the Rifftrax for it, but we didn't get in the theater in enough time.
      Sounds like a really fun time.

      Is this the same girlfriend as last year, or a new one?

      Comment

      • BoylenOver
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 9146

        #1158
        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Sounds like a really fun time.

        Is this the same girlfriend as last year, or a new one?
        New one.

        It's amazing how much different it is dating a girl with a job, a car, no kids, and seeking a college education.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

        Comment

        • BoylenOver
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 9146

          #1159
          "Young at Heart"

          Very fun documentary about a chorus group whose youngest member is in their early 70's.

          This is their rendition of Sonic Youth's "Schizophrenia":

          [youtube]VDUOpcic0jE[/youtube]
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

          Comment

          • Colly Wolly
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 1824

            #1160
            Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
            I also saw theThe Debt yesterday. Of the 100 people in attendance I was the only one under 65. I can't decide if that was due to Hellen Mirren or that is was 4pm on a Wednesday. The movie was highly entertaining.
            I saw this on Friday night. Very good and worth seeing. Suspenseful, gripping, and I like the ending.

            Comment

            • BoylenOver
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 9146

              #1161
              "Please Give"

              Intriguing movie. Catherine Keener is awesome, and the rest of the cast (Amanda Peet especially) were solid.
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

              Comment

              • woot
                Resident Science Cop
                • Nov 2008
                • 5531

                #1162
                "Incendies".

                Disturbing, thrilling, and ultimately, powerful in an unexpected way. Supremely done. Highly recommended.

                Comment

                • Green Lantern
                  Has overcome great fear
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 2289

                  #1163
                  This weekend I saw Winnie the Pooh with the kids. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Very low key, but also very clever and charming.

                  SS and I watched Le Samourai, Jean-Pierre Melville's 1967 classic about a lone wolf assassin in Paris. Excellent movie and a strong influence on the George Clooney movie The American from last year. In fact, our love of that film was what drove us to seek out the earlier one as the influence was mentioned in several reviews.

                  Finally, I saw Attack the Block with a couple friends last night. What a blast. Some thugs in South London protect their government housing block from an alien invasion. It has all the makings of a cult classic. Massively entertaining.
                  Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                  None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                  I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                  --Portland Ute

                  Comment

                  • Flattop
                    Many books, little time
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 1452

                    #1164
                    Up Periscope (1959) starring James Garner.

                    A good movie about a submarine and a U.S. Navy "frogman" on a secret mission to capture a Japanese code.


                    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1968) starring Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach.

                    The final movie of Sergio Leone's "Man with no name" trilogy and probably the best. The three gunslingers embark on the search for $200,000 in gold. Excellent.
                    Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                    Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                    Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #1165
                      I have nothing to do in Vegas, so I'm seeing Warrior. I'm excited that they're coming out with another Underworld movie.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • Donuthole
                        Official Outgayer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 25269

                        #1166
                        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        I have nothing to do in Vegas, so I'm seeing Warrior. I'm excited that they're coming out with another Underworld movie.
                        I didn't know you were here or we could have done lunch.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                        Comment

                        • MarkGrace
                          Grooveshark dick tease
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 31546

                          #1167
                          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          I have nothing to do in Vegas, so I'm seeing Warrior. I'm excited that they're coming out with another Underworld movie.
                          Listened to a review of Warrior this morning. The review was positive, but it still seems like a DVDer for me.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16938

                            #1168
                            The past couple of weeks we've seen The Debt and Sarah's Key, both good movies with excellent performances by the female leads. For this week's movie night, we'll probably go mainstream with Contagion, although there's a part of me that wants to see Bucky Larson, a recent release that sports the amazing Rotten Tomatoes score of 0%. The only way I can get Mrs. PAC to that is if I convince her it's a sequel to Buck, a great documentary she enjoyed a lot. Probably won't work though.

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37988

                              #1169
                              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              For this week's movie night, we'll probably go mainstream with Contagion, although there's a part of me that wants to see Bucky Larson, a recent release that sports the amazing Rotten Tomatoes score of 0%. The only way I can get Mrs. PAC to that is if I convince her it's a sequel to Buck, a great documentary she enjoyed a lot. Probably won't work though.
                              Maybe you should tell her that its a prequel to the John Hughes classic Uncle Buck. A genesis story.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #1170
                                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                The past couple of weeks we've seen The Debt and Sarah's Key, both good movies with excellent performances by the female leads. For this week's movie night, we'll probably go mainstream with Contagion, although there's a part of me that wants to see Bucky Larson, a recent release that sports the amazing Rotten Tomatoes score of 0%. The only way I can get Mrs. PAC to that is if I convince her it's a sequel to Buck, a great documentary she enjoyed a lot. Probably won't work though.
                                I'm always in on Soderbergh, and of course Matt Damon is in my trifecta. Let us know how it is.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...