The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #811
    Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Radio Bikini doc from the 80's about two atomic bombs detonated at Bikini Atoll, one above and one below the surface of the water. The doc follows months before with hearings in congress to a couple weeks after the second bomb detonated. The story centers around the Bikinians who were basically removed from their country and told we would be dropping bombs on it, and an enlisted man who died in 1983 from cancer caused from his exposure to the radiation.

    The doc was up for an Oscar in the 80's and deservedly so.


    Streaming available on Netflix
    I will have to check this out. The pics of the blast are pretty awesome.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • happyone
      Board Bookworm
      • Mar 2009
      • 5398

      #812
      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
      Radio Bikini doc from the 80's about two atomic bombs detonated at Bikini Atoll, one above and one below the surface of the water. The doc follows months before with hearings in congress to a couple weeks after the second bomb detonated. The story centers around the Bikinians who were basically removed from their country and told we would be dropping bombs on it, and an enlisted man who died in 1983 from cancer caused from his exposure to the radiation.

      The doc was up for an Oscar in the 80's and deservedly so.


      Streaming available on Netflix
      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      I will have to check this out. The pics of the blast are pretty awesome.
      I'll have to watch that also. The military channel had something on those tests a while ago. It was in conjuntion with the Pearl Harbor anniversaries. An actor, the guy who stared in the Unit, dived on the Saratoga that was used as a target ship for the two blasts. What is amazing to me was the air burst only caused minor damage to the achored ships, esp the capital ships. It took the second one to sink most of them.
      Last edited by happyone; 04-03-2011, 10:59 AM.

      I may be small, but I'm slow.

      A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

      Comment

      • BoylenOver
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 9146

        #813
        "United 93"

        Really well-made and incredibly jarring. The scene near the end where they're showing different passengers reciting the Lord's Prayer, interspersed with the hijackers praying in Arabic, is terrific film-making.

        I was shaking for 30 seconds after the end.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

        Comment

        • Donuthole
          Official Outgayer
          • Nov 2008
          • 25268

          #814
          Requiem for a Dream. Messed up. That's all the analysis I'm offering until I've had a chance to process it a bit more.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

          Comment

          • BoylenOver
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 9146

            #815
            "Fish Tank"

            A fascinating and bleak character study. Apparently the lead has never acted before, but she was marvelous.

            It's available on Instant, and I would recommend it.
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #816
              Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Requiem for a Dream. Messed up. That's all the analysis I'm offering until I've had a chance to process it a bit more.
              ha.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #817
                Unstoppable.

                I've yet to see a Denzel film that I didn't like. It was also interesting to see that Earl's brother was an even bigger screw up than in the tv show.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • BoylenOver
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 9146

                  #818
                  Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Source Code

                  Saw it for girls night out. At the end of the movie, one of us was asleep, one was sitting forward in her chair, engrossed, one was outright sobbing, and one was somberly contemplative.

                  Roger Ebert calls this movie "Hard" sci-fi, as opposed to other scifi movies which appear to be just war movies taking place in the future. This one attempts to come up with an explanation for a fantastical event.

                  Vera Farmiga-- I dont know what it is about her, I dont think she's particularly beautiful, but I just cant look away. she has real screen magnetism, in a soulfull, translucent skin sort of way. Molly Ringwald had the same sort of charisma, although it disappeared when she turned 18. Anyways, Farmiga does a great job in acting with her head and shoulders, since that's all you see of her in 95% of the movie.

                  Lots of hidden comments:

                  Spoiler for Lots o' hidden comments for this movie.:

                  The director also did the movie Moon, which was recommended by you Cuffites. Source Code is Moon with a viable screenplay (unlike Moon, which had a listless, meandering script. Themes that are repeated include:

                  1. The protagonist is a shadow of his former self (clone, the last vestiges of the brain of a dead person)
                  2. There are problems in the mirage that manifests itself as reality to the protagonists, little tweaks in the matrix.
                  3. The protagonist's actual self (clone, brain stem) is repeatedly and cold bloodedly used by the big corporation/military to meet a goal larger than the life of our hero.
                  4. The protagonist repeatedly plays out the same life over and over, sometimes the same way, sometimes with a little variation, and is trapped and beyond the redemption of ever going "home" and ending the cycle. (See the Matrix geek posts for this theme in the Matrix Movies.)

                  The code sign for mission control is Beleaguered Castle. I wonder if it has anything to do with the solitaire card game, especially since the call sign includes playing cards.

                  I just got back from seeing this. I enjoyed it.

                  Interesting thoughts. BTW I find Vera Farmiga to be very beautiful. Not as much in this particular film, but moreso in "Never Forever" and "Up in the Air".

                  Spoiler for discussion of the movie:
                  In addition to "Moon" (which I didn't know it was directed by the same person), I sensed some parallels to "Minority Report", where the creator (in this case Jeffrey Wright) was willing to sacrifice the lives of those who drive the mechanism for the "greater good".
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                  Comment

                  • Katy Lied
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 9435

                    #819
                    More than a Game.

                    Some of you might know that I can't stand most sports movies-- the final game, the lush violins playing as the home team wins in slo-mo at the last second. But I liked this movie, about Lebron James and his five teammates that basically played their entire high school careers together.

                    It is a sympathetic portrayal of James. Since I've only known LeBron as the kid driving the hummer in high school, with the huge diamond earrings, I didnt realize how hard his early life was, and how he found comfort on the basketball court. When he was ruled ineligible to play his senior year, it is heartbreaking to see him sitting on the side at practice, crying the entire time. He probably understands how Brandon Davies feels.

                    Streaming on netflix

                    PS: LeBron and his teammates had to tape up their tats too, when they played games.

                    Also, I realized how bad the slap in the face was when LeBron left Cleveland. These fans had watched him play since he was 13, 14 years old.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69718

                      #820
                      I recently watched Being John Malkovich on NetFlix. Those of you who are sick of Hollywood's seeming inability to come up with original ideas should check it out. One of the most unique and creative movies I have seen in a while. I have been avoiding it for a while because the plot sounded so weird, but I really enjoyed it.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • BoylenOver
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 9146

                        #821
                        Watched "Four Lions" and "The Edge of Heaven" in recent days. I'd recommend both.

                        "Four Lions" ended up being a little darker than I anticipated, but still really funny. Dapper Dan was spot on way back about it.

                        Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                        Just watched Four Lions. It's about a group of British Muslim terrorists, that happen to be idiots.

                        Terrorism is an odd subject for a comedy, but I cannot remember the last movie that made me laugh as hard as this. We were literally wiping tears from our eyes.


                        [YOUTUBE]yGk2TojOd-4[/YOUTUBE]
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #822
                          I was made to see Your Highness last weekend. The only redeeming aspect of thae movie is Natalie Portman's bum.

                          Comment

                          • Green Lantern
                            Has overcome great fear
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 2289

                            #823
                            My daughter and regularly check out the silent movies they screen at the Organ Loft in Salt Lake with live accompaniment on the Wurlitzer organ. This past week was a collection of three Charlie Chaplin featurettes and they were great.
                            Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                            None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                            I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                            --Portland Ute

                            Comment

                            • BoylenOver
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 9146

                              #824
                              Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              Eyes Wide Shut

                              Somehow this received an R rating. That Kubrick was one weird dude.
                              I watched this for the first time tonight.

                              There are some really interesting things about this film, and I really love Nicole Kidman, but good grief this is a long-ass movie.

                              I guess they had to digitally obscure some of the orgy stuff to attain the R rating, but it really deserves to be unrated.
                              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                              Comment

                              • BoylenOver
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 9146

                                #825
                                "I Am Comic"

                                Very interesting and enjoyable. I enjoy stand-up, and the look behind the curtain in these kind of films intrigue me.
                                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                                Comment

                                Working...