The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free State of Jones

Decent flick. Not crazy good, but solid. Matthew McConaughey flirts with doing too much with his character, but is able to be more "A Time to Kill" than "We are Marshall." They did a little flash forward to an early 20th century interracial marriage lawsuit throughout the film that didn't add much to the story other than minutes. The title was also a little misleading.

All that said, I'm certainly more interested in the life and times of Newton Knight than I was before I watched the movie.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

The Avengers
      Do adults really get excited about this shit?

The Shallows
      Heavy on the Blake Lively body close-ups, which is good. Light on other entertaining aspects, which is bad. The CGI felt like a throwback to 1999. And the way she bests the shark is just ridonk.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        The Avengers
        Do adults really get excited about this shit?

The Shallows
        Heavy on the Blake Lively body close-ups, which is good. Light on other entertaining aspects, which is bad. The CGI felt like a throwback to 1999. And the way she bests the shark is just ridonk.
        I thought the shallows was ok until the last ten minutes or so. The ending was painfully bad.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• The Lobster. Hated it. I don't mind being disturbed, if I'm being challenged or there is a point to it somehow. I didn't get it.

Comment

• The Armstrong Lie was pretty good. Amazing the way Lance attacked and sued those who were telling the truth about his doping.

Dumb of him to come back in 2009 -- pure hubris.

Comment

• Eye in the Sky

Went in with low expectations, but it wasn't bad. Nice job forcing the viewer to grapple with both sides of an ethical issue.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Eye in the Sky

Went in with low expectations, but it wasn't bad. Nice job forcing the viewer to grapple with both sides of an ethical issue.
                DId Alan Parsons do the sound track?
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• The Secret Lives of Pets-- Now that's a funny cartoon. I really liked it.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    The Lobster. Hated it. I don't mind being disturbed, if I'm being challenged or there is a point to it somehow. I didn't get it.
                    Thanks. I wont see it now. I was strangely intriqued by it.
                    Speaking about weird movies, anyone seen the movie about the Harry Potter dude, who I guess is dead, being used for all sorts of things a la Weekend at Bernies?

Comment

• Not a movie review but because this doesn't deserve a separate thread, I wanted to post here that I've signed up for an online course on screenwriting taught by Aaron Sorkin. The course begins in August and is apparently a series of video lectures with some interaction with his TA's, if not him. I have no plans of ever writing a screenplay, but I'm a big fan of his work on Sports Night, The American President, A Few Good Men, The West Wing, The Social Network, etc., and think it'll be interesting to hear how he works. It's $90, and I spend more than that on poorly written movies each year, so why not?

Comment

• I watched Creed on a redeye last week. Best movie I've seen in a while and worthy of the Rocky Pantheon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          The Secret Lives of Pets-- Now that's a funny cartoon. I really liked it.
                          I took one of my boys and his friend last night. My review - Meh.
                          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                          SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            The Secret Lives of Pets-- Now that's a funny cartoon. I really liked it.
                            Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                            I took one of my boys and his friend last night. My review - Meh.
                            With nothing else to see at the local cineplex, we saw this tonight. While a substantial majority of those in attendance seemed to love the movie, with lots of laughs, we fell into the Snowcat camp on this one. I was surprised that a movie with Albert Brooks, Kevin Hart, and Louis CK failed to come close to my expectations, but it did, although the Brooks character was pretty funny at times. It was a mighty effort, but yeah, meh.

Comment

• The Big Short, Spotlight and Room are all streaming on one of the streaming services. Room was the most affecting of the three. The boy in that movie was amazing.

I read about the Fritzl case out of Austria which the story is based on. The facts from that are much worse than what's portrayed in the novel. In that case, the woman was imprisoned by her own father for 24 years and gave birth to seven children, one died in infancy. Three were taken out as 9-10 month old babies and raised as "foundlings" by the captor-father and the captive's mother who was oblivious to what was going on. The three remaining children were something like 19, 18 and 5. The 18 year old boy couldn't walk properly because the basement prison ceiling was only 5'6 high and he was 5'8.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• The Infiltrator, I had really high hopes for this movie from the previews. It was painfully slow in parts and just never seemed to flow. I stayed up reading about the story online after and really think it could've almost turned into a franchise about that agents undercover operations.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X