Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12367

    #1591
    Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    It's a meandering creek and the drone isn't moving, just hovering high above (at least that is what the sensor is supposed to ensure it does, but wind as a way of distorting what the lens captures when you are shooting from that high up. I really like the line movement in the shot.
    thanks

    I rotated it 90 degrees clockwise and the photogrammetry part of my brain was much happier with the result.

    It is a great picture in that the original really makes me uneasy and feel like I am falling forward.

    Comment

    • swampfrog
      Social Distance Warrior
      • Feb 2011
      • 2267

      #1592
      Originally posted by tooblue View Post
      I guess I could've walked down the hill and chopped that tree down ... ultimately, I decided against it.
      The lazy photographer's excuse.

      Originally posted by tooblue View Post
      I could digitally remove it, but decided against doing that.
      It's more along the lines of could you find a vantage point where you could get just a bit lower so as to capture the base of the tree (and some grass underneath). Landscape shots are often enhanced by a clean, unbroken, uniform base along the bottom edge. There may have been more stuff below that you didn't want included.

      Comment

      • tooblue
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5136

        #1593
        Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        The lazy photographer's excuse.



        It's more along the lines of could you find a vantage point where you could get just a bit lower so as to capture the base of the tree (and some grass underneath). Landscape shots are often enhanced by a clean, unbroken, uniform base along the bottom edge. There may have been more stuff below that you didn't want included.
        It's really weird that there was just this lone young tree sitting there. I was at the top of a hill. I tried cropping the image so you could just see the top half of the trees, focusing on the 'Close Encounters' clouds but it just didn't feel right. At the bottom of the image, just beyond that tree there is a dirt road and a bunch of boulders dumped along side it. I didn't like the look of them either, so I tried to find a happy medium.

        That really was the best vantage point, unless I climbed a tree, and I ain't doing that at I my age :-)
        Last edited by tooblue; 10-22-2018, 05:09 PM.

        Comment

        • tooblue
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 5136

          #1594
          Originally posted by Copelius View Post
          Was leaving the Grand Valley and looked back to see the moon coming over the Grand Mesa.
          Don't want this image to get lost in other discussions ... is that with your phone?

          Comment

          • Copelius
            Maker of eyeballs
            • Dec 2012
            • 4065

            #1595
            Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            Don't want this image to get lost in other discussions ... is that with your phone?
            No. DSLR (Nikon D7200) with some post processing to bring out the moon. The Mesa is about 30 miles from where I took the shot. Mt Garfield, in the lower left corner is about 20 miles.
            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

            Comment

            • tooblue
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 5136

              #1596
              Originally posted by Copelius View Post
              No. DSLR (Nikon D7200) with some post processing to bring out the moon. The Mesa is about 30 miles from where I took the shot. Mt Garfield, in the lower left corner is about 20 miles.
              Didn't think it was with a phone. The sky and moon is lovely ... have you tried to pull out the details below in the Mesa?

              Comment

              • eldiente
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 311

                #1597


                Mornings from the front yard


                Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27886

                  #1598


                  Sunset from tonight.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • swampfrog
                    Social Distance Warrior
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 2267

                    #1599
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post


                    Sunset from tonight.
                    The lines here are great, so are the subtle shades of color in the water.

                    Comment

                    • swampfrog
                      Social Distance Warrior
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 2267

                      #1600
                      Some more of the deer at the refuge. All with different processing.





                      Comment

                      • tooblue
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5136

                        #1601
                        Just to satisfy Katy, Jeff and Piney, I went out and got the drone shot again (along with some other pics). As compared to the weekend, there was virtually no wind yesterday. Also, I flipped the drone 180° and 'centered' the image:







                        Comment

                        • BigPiney
                          Huge Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12367

                          #1602
                          See, was that so hard?

                          Those look great. Did you chop down the offending tree as well?

                          Comment

                          • swampfrog
                            Social Distance Warrior
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 2267

                            #1603
                            Originally posted by tooblue View Post



                            I like composition of the 1st slightly better, but prefer the processing of the 2nd. The first appears over-sharpened (halos around the birds). Both are very nice.

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21143

                              #1604
                              Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                              I like composition of the 1st slightly better, but prefer the processing of the 2nd. The first appears over-sharpened (halos around the birds). Both are very nice.
                              The two pictures feel very different. The first seems a little ominous with the dead/dying flowers prominent in the foreground. While the sunlight shines through the textured clouds, it's still mostly overcast and gray/grey.

                              In the second picture, the pasture seems much more green. The sunbeams in the distance are hopeful, the sky is a brighter blue, and the colorful, lively tree seems more of the focal point. Don't really even notice any death among the foliage.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • tooblue
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5136

                                #1605
                                Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                Some more of the deer at the refuge. All with different processing.





                                I love the mist on the field and transition to the sky of the last two. As for the deer, I've seen a few around these parts lately. Growing up and before moving east I hunted every year. I miss the deer hunt, and have just never really put the effort in here—crazy gun laws etc. This past year I finally got all of my licenses and everything, but I don't know if I can bring myself to get out and hunt on someone's farm.

                                Sorry if my post offends. That's just what's going through my head when I see the deer.

                                Comment

                                Working...