Take a Vacation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • clackamascoug
    Banned
    • Dec 2009
    • 9709

    #541
    Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    Headed to Maui with the fam July 25- Aug 1. Its been like 18 years since we have been to that island. First time for the kids who are 13, 17, 20. We are staying at
    The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Ka'anapali. What are your favorites? Snorkeling, Hiking, food are our probably main interests but we are open. What would you do if you were headed there this time of year?
    Jump off the cliffs at Black Rock - serious fun - and daring - kids will remember it for a lifetime. I did.

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21142

      #542
      Originally posted by Moliere View Post

      Yeah, I guess I should mention he did have to quarantine for 5 days. I think he found a way to reduce it from 10 to 5 he has family there so he just stayed with them for five days then they did the touristy stuff. I think he got approval from work to just work remotely during his quarantine so he didn’t burn vacation days sitting around.

      Italy is doing Covid free flights where no quarantine is required. Croatia and Greece are doing something similar but I think they only require proof of vaccine to avoid quarantine.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah, if you follow the link I provided, it gives some detail on the testing required to reduce it from a 10-day quarantine, but I don't remember it saying it could get down to as little as 5 days.

      That's still too long for me to be sitting around in the UK - and I dont think I have any relatives there willing to let me crash at their place for the quarantine period.

      It seems silly that they don't seem to be making any allowance for those who are already vaccinated.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • bluegoose
        7th round draft pick
        • Nov 2008
        • 4121

        #543
        Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
        Headed to Maui with the fam July 25- Aug 1. Its been like 18 years since we have been to that island. First time for the kids who are 13, 17, 20. We are staying at
        The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Ka'anapali. What are your favorites? Snorkeling, Hiking, food are our probably main interests but we are open. What would you do if you were headed there this time of year?
        We were there a a couple of years ago with kids almost those same ages. Snorkeling is king on that side of the island. Honolua bay was our favorite spot, as my kids got to swim with some dolphins that came to play in the bay. It had the best and most diverse reef that we found. The short hike through the jungle with all of the wild chickens was kind of fun. Slaughterhouse Beach was also very cool. The whole area north and south of Black Rock were a little crowded, but still tons of cool stuff to see in the water.

        For hiking, we visited the Nakalele Blowhole on the north side of the island. Somewhat short hike, but if you can get it at high tide, its pretty impressive and worth the trip. We also did a coastline hike near Fleming beach, out to Dragons Teeth. There were some cool cliffs to jump off on the south west side of the dragons teeth peninsula.

        Comment

        • Flystripper
          Degenerate Gambler
          • Nov 2008
          • 14089

          #544
          Thanks! Good advice. Honolua Bay was my fav for snorkeling 17 years ago. Good to hear it’s still nice. Thanks for the advice on the hikes and beach as well. Much appreciated.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69705

            #545
            Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

            We were there a a couple of years ago with kids almost those same ages. Snorkeling is king on that side of the island. Honolua bay was our favorite spot, as my kids got to swim with some dolphins that came to play in the bay. It had the best and most diverse reef that we found. The short hike through the jungle with all of the wild chickens was kind of fun. Slaughterhouse Beach was also very cool. The whole area north and south of Black Rock were a little crowded, but still tons of cool stuff to see in the water.

            For hiking, we visited the Nakalele Blowhole on the north side of the island. Somewhat short hike, but if you can get it at high tide, its pretty impressive and worth the trip. We also did a coastline hike near Fleming beach, out to Dragons Teeth. There were some cool cliffs to jump off on the south west side of the dragons teeth peninsula.
            Amen to all of this. Slaughterhouse beach is our favorite. Just try to get there early because there is not much parking.

            You should make reservations for Mama's Fish House right now. Expensive, but an incredible dining experience.

            After eating at Mama's, go over to Ho'okipa Beach Park and watch the wind surfers and check out all the turtles on the beach.



            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69705

              #546
              A few more things:

              I recommend stopping in to this place for lunch:



              Fish tacos are fantastic.

              Don't overlook Black Rock for snorkeling which is just down the beach from your condo. We have seen turtles, sharks, and octopus there.

              As for snorkeling, another of our favorite spots is MiLe Marker 14:

              Mile Maker 14 in Olowalu is one of Maui's most popular snorkel spots and beaches. Maui sight and sights to see. Attractions and sights in Maui Hawaii


              Seldom crowded. Beautiful spot and some great fish, coral, etcc.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Flystripper
                Degenerate Gambler
                • Nov 2008
                • 14089

                #547
                Thanks JL great recommendations!
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                Comment

                • Commando
                  Explosivo
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 20748

                  #548
                  Good tacos in Hawaii? Is that an inside joke?
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                  Comment

                  • Northwestcoug
                    Cocked and Loaded
                    • May 2011
                    • 18026

                    #549
                    Yeah Black Rock gets some hate because of the crowds. But we've snorkeled there twice and it's still pretty decent. There seems to be enough room for everyone there.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

                    Comment

                    • Flystripper
                      Degenerate Gambler
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14089

                      #550
                      Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Good tacos in Hawaii? Is that an inside joke?
                      Just another delivery method for the wonderful fish on the island.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #551
                        Originally posted by Flystripper View Post

                        Just another delivery method for the wonderful fish on the island.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I'll never hate on the fish in Hawaii. Throw that mess in a poke bowl or a sushi roll!
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • Flystripper
                          Degenerate Gambler
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14089

                          #552
                          Originally posted by Commando View Post

                          I'll never hate on the fish in Hawaii. Throw that mess in a poke bowl or a sushi roll!
                          Of course! That too!


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

                          Comment

                          • Northwestcoug
                            Cocked and Loaded
                            • May 2011
                            • 18026

                            #553
                            Originally posted by Commando View Post

                            I'll never hate on the fish in Hawaii. Throw that mess in a poke bowl or a sushi roll!
                            Amen.

                            FS, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend my brother's favorite place to get a poke bowl in Maui. It is literally in the back of a liquor store, but it was pretty great the last time I went there. It's close to the airport. Tamura's Fine Wine:



                            If you go and it's not great, just remember it's been 4 years since I've been there

                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

                            Comment

                            • BigPiney
                              Huge Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12366

                              #554
                              We have a cabin in Island Park reserved for the next 7 days for a family reunion. Instead of driving there I am hanging with my 14 year old daughter at an instacare clinic in salt lake.

                              She has had abdominal pain they last 4 of days, but it wasn't too bad. Well this morning it hurts a lot more. And she is pretty tough, so if this is stopping her, it must be pretty good. Here is hoping it is not appendicitis.

                              I'm supposed to be drinking a cherry iron port at the Malad drive in right now, not sitting in sugarhouse.

                              Comment

                              • Flystripper
                                Degenerate Gambler
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14089

                                #555
                                Oh no! what side is the abdominal pain on? lower right?
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                                Comment

                                Working...