Utah QB Situation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #16
    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Is Griff Robles just not ready after his mission? Why was Manis moved back to QB? Utah better hope Cain is the answer or they may be in trouble.
    I predict Griff Robles will have a good career at Utah. Just a hunch.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • Jarid in Cedar
      CS Institutional Memory
      • Jun 2009
      • 13234

      #17
      Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      Similar question. Wynn, at one point, was named the starter, correct? Has KW ever come out and said competition is open again or that Wynn has lost that job?

      Seems to me that until Whitingham says something different, a starter has already been named and that guy is Wynn.
      Whit, set a depth chart with Wynn as #1, but was very adament that his was not naming a starter and that the competition would continue, but that Wynn and Cain would get the lion share of snaps in practice which essentially seal Louks fate.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

      "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

      "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

      -Rick Majerus

      Comment

      • smokymountainrain
        Impressive Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22593

        #18
        Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
        Whit, set a depth chart with Wynn as #1, but was very adament that his was not naming a starter and that the competition would continue, but that Wynn and Cain would get the lion share of snaps in practice which essentially seal Louks fate.
        OOOOkay. Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware that that was how it was presented.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

        Comment

        • jay santos
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 13652

          #19
          I was listening to 1320 on the way home last night and they played a KW interview saying he didn't need to tip his hand for no reason. I've always been a big KW guy and have never had much bad to say about him, but I thought this was one of the dumbest things I've heard a coach say in a long time.

          Seriously you would mess with a possible long term future QB's head for the purpose of messing up Utah State's practice plan???

          Comment

          • DrumNFeather
            Invisible Swordsman
            • Nov 2008
            • 8854

            #20
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I was listening to 1320 on the way home last night and they played a KW interview saying he didn't need to tip his hand for no reason. I've always been a big KW guy and have never had much bad to say about him, but I thought this was one of the dumbest things I've heard a coach say in a long time.

            Seriously you would mess with a possible long term future QB's head for the purpose of messing up Utah State's practice plan???
            Or, he's messing with a former D-Coordinator's head by not naming a starter, while letting the team know exactly where each player in the race stands.
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

            Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

            Comment

            • jay santos
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 13652

              #21
              Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
              Or, he's messing with a former D-Coordinator's head by not naming a starter, while letting the team know exactly where each player in the race stands.
              Even worse.

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #22
                Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                I was listening to 1320 on the way home last night and they played a KW interview saying he didn't need to tip his hand for no reason. I've always been a big KW guy and have never had much bad to say about him, but I thought this was one of the dumbest things I've heard a coach say in a long time.

                Seriously you would mess with a possible long term future QB's head for the purpose of messing up Utah State's practice plan???
                There's no reason to tell the media of fans who is starting but I'm guessing that KW has made the decision as to who will start and has informed the team.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #23
                  Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  Even worse.
                  Why is that worse?
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • Coach McGuirk
                    1
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12109

                    #24
                    Having the best QB situation in the country can be difficult. I kid, I kid.


                    If Cain was named the starter a week ago, and Louk's was 2nd in stead of 3rd, would he have stuck around?

                    Comment

                    • DrumNFeather
                      Invisible Swordsman
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8854

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      Having the best QB situation in the country can be difficult. I kid, I kid.


                      If Cain was named the starter a week ago, and Louk's was 2nd in stead of 3rd, would he have stuck around?
                      I think so.

                      Louks read his demotion as "you don't have a shot," and he had to save face. Truthfully, he probably didn't have a shot, but he would've been able to contribute to the team via the Louks package or as a Safety next year.
                      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                      Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                      Comment

                      • il Padrino Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19161

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                        Having the best QB situation in the country can be difficult. I kid, I kid.


                        If Cain was named the starter a week ago, and Louk's was 2nd in stead of 3rd, would he have stuck around?

                        Louks wanted to be the starting QB. He would have left if he was named the backup.
                        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                        Comment

                        • jay santos
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 13652

                          #27
                          Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                          Why is that worse?
                          Messing with a young QB's head to piss off Gary Anderson?

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #28
                            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                            Messing with a young QB's head to piss off Gary Anderson?
                            If a kid knows he's the starter, how would it be messing with his head if KW doesn't tell the media?

                            Do you really think KW is trying to piss off Gary Anderson by not announcing publicly who the starting QB will be? I think KW is just trying to make Anderson have to prepare for either QB, not anger Anderson.
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • Hot Lunch
                              Out of Office
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7842

                              #29
                              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              Messing with a young QB's head to piss off Gary Anderson?
                              This is the only position and players that will play a significant part for the Utah St. game that Coach A doesn't know much about. I don't think he is messing with young qb's heads at all. The team knows who the starter is. The qb's know who the starter is. We all know who the starter is. Don't be fooled Santos.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

                              Comment

                              • Flattop
                                Many books, little time
                                • Jun 2009
                                • 1452

                                #30
                                I don't have a problem with Kyle keeping who the starting QB is going to be on a need-to-know basis. The team needs to know, and I'm sure Kyle has told them. Gary Anderson doesn't need to know. The local media doesn't need to know. I don't need to know, and I don't think any of my fellow fans need to know.

                                Of course, the media doesn't like not knowing. So, naturally, it is going on and on and on about how disappointing the Utah QBs are. The more it goes on about how bad things must be, the better I actually feel.

                                Kyle's doing it right.
                                Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                                Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                                Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                                Comment

                                Working...