U vs. Y '12

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #1861
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    This has always been the case. BYU fans love to cite examples of "anti mormonism" among Ute fans. Ute fans love to show any example of religious hypocrisy. The Utes storm the field 3 times. Just another game? The Utes and their fans have moved on? Hardly. Both fanbases are obsessed, regardless of what they say to the contrary. It is the biggest game of the year and a win over each other means more than any other win because it carries with it the daily social ramifications that permeate this rivalry. I mean, quite honestly, after BYU beat Oklahoma and Utah beat Alabama, what was the first reaction by the majority of both fan bases? It wasn't to taunt or gloat over OU or Tide fans. It was to rush back and gloat over BYU (post Sugar Bowl) or Utah (post Blue River ShootOUt) fans.

    Regarding this video clip, fans of any team that do stuff like this in the heat of the moment are exercising poor judgment, imo. You could tell by the kids voice in the video that he was prepubescent. The last thing you want to do is taunt a D1 football player that is upset, angry, probably not in the mood to make great decisions, is wearing a helmet and pads, and could lay w.a.s.t.e. to you physically in a matter of seconds. The guy in the suspenders....what was he doing??? Bronco is surrounded by cops, for crying out loud. A similar display was the BYU fan that was trying to provoke or attack Whit's wife a few years back. What in the world are these boneheads trying to accomplish??
    You are innacurately characterizing some of us. Your generalizations are offensive. I would trade last Saturday's win for a win in Tempe this Saturday. Come on. I am just proud Utah carried the Pac 12 torch sort of respectably against a pretty good DI team.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #1862
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      You are innacurately characterizing some of us. Your generalizations are offensive. I would trade last Saturday's win for a win in Tempe this Saturday. Come on.
      I do agree here. I will be happy if our loss Saturday is traded for a win at ND.

      While I want to be the Utes, it doesn't come close to wanting teams with a national presence.

      Comment

      • MartyFunkhouser
        Disciple of RNGesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 18753

        #1863
        Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
        Doesnt pretty much any close big game have the fans rushing the field? mpfunk made it seem like Utah was the only one.

        Utah is certainly not the only one and I did not mean to imply that. Utah is the one that I care about most and the one that I want to see correct this most.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #1864
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          You are innacurately characterizing some of us. Your generalizations are offensive. I would trade last Saturday's win for a win in Tempe this Saturday. Come on. I am just proud Utah carried the Pac 12 torch sort of respectably against a pretty good DI team.
          I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about Ute fans and college football fans.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • Blueintheface
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 15382

            #1865
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            You are innacurately characterizing some of us. Your generalizations are offensive. I would trade last Saturday's win for a win in Tempe this Saturday. Come on. I am just proud Utah carried the Pac 12 torch sort of respectably against a pretty good DI team.
            They won by 3 pts at home "to a team that's not even in the PAC-12."
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

            Comment

            • SteelBlue
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 8189

              #1866
              I road tripped to this game with OrangeUte. I've never been to the rivalry game in SLC and was wondering what kind of treatment I'd get walking around inBYU gear. We walked all over campus before the game and I was pretty much the only Y fan around. Walked past several tailgates etc... hit the bookstore. Not one unfriendly comment the entire time. Lots of friendly jokes in the bookstore about replacing my shirt but nothing more.

              Inside the stadium I was told "welcome" by 3 different people. I was pretty much the only Y fan in our section (though an old man in a Red Sox cap secretly whispered to me that he wished he was as brave as I was). I got some friendly joking walking up to our seats but that was it. Oh, there was one guy who who walked up smiling and chomping on a mouthful of popcorn and shouted a long Uuuuuutes at me. No beer poured etc... Very friendly woman and her husband sitting next to me. Overall a very good experience and cool place to see a game. We had a few idiots around us but they were no different than the idiots I've seen at every game in every stadium I've ever been to.

              Comment

              • Color Me Badd Fan
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 12519

                #1867
                I went to the game in SLC back in 2000, LaVell's last game. All in all it was a pleasant experience (even beyond the outcome), but I did notice significantly more mullets than one would normally see out of the public at large circa 2000.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #1868
                  Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  I road tripped to this game with OrangeUte. I've never been to the rivalry game in SLC and was wondering what kind of treatment I'd get walking around inBYU gear. We walked all over campus before the game and I was pretty much the only Y fan around. Walked past several tailgates etc... hit the bookstore. Not one unfriendly comment the entire time. Lots of friendly jokes in the bookstore about replacing my shirt but nothing more.

                  Inside the stadium I was told "welcome" by 3 different people. I was pretty much the only Y fan in our section (though an old man in a Red Sox cap secretly whispered to me that he wished he was as brave as I was). I got some friendly joking walking up to our seats but that was it. Oh, there was one guy who who walked up smiling and chomping on a mouthful of popcorn and shouted a long Uuuuuutes at me. No beer poured etc... Very friendly woman and her husband sitting next to me. Overall a very good experience and cool place to see a game. We had a few idiots around us but they were no different than the idiots I've seen at every game in every stadium I've ever been to.
                  My sons and I made a point of saying hello and welcoming all the BYU fans we saw, and telling them "good game" afterwards (although we could barely speak above a whisper at that point). I was in the bookstore in the afternoon and saw two older guys (age 70+, I'd guess) decked out in full BYU gear, looking carefully at Utah knick-knacks on the shelves. I said to them, "You guys look a little out of place." One of them responded, laughingly, "Yeah, I guess we don't belong, do we?" I said, "No, no, you're welcome to be here, just try to behave." We all had a good laugh.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #1869
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    My sons and I made a point of saying hello and welcoming all the BYU fans we saw, and telling them "good game" afterwards (although we could barely speak above a whisper at that point).
                    Of course you did.

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #1870
                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      My sons and I made a point of saying hello and welcoming all the BYU fans we saw, and telling them "good game" afterwards (although we could barely speak above a whisper at that point). I was in the bookstore in the afternoon and saw two older guys (age 70+, I'd guess) decked out in full BYU gear, looking carefully at Utah knick-knacks on the shelves. I said to them, "You guys look a little out of place." One of them responded, laughingly, "Yeah, I guess we don't belong, do we?" I said, "No, no, you're welcome to be here, just try to behave." We all had a good laugh.
                      you still sounded like a jerk even when trying to be nice.

                      Next time just try, "welcome to campus." That might work.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #1871
                        Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                        I am sure the incident with Falslev is the only classless thing that occurred on that field.
                        Point well made. Just another reason to keep fans off the field until (1) the game is at least over and -- in a perfect world -- (2) the opposing team is off the field. I will be surprised if steps aren't taken at the U. to get at least (1) done, and I hope (2) as well.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • LA Ute
                          Receiver of Memory
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19512

                          #1872
                          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Of course you did.
                          Well, you weren't there so there was no reason for us to be impolite to anyone.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden


                          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                          Comment

                          • YOhio
                            Hipster Mode
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26165

                            #1873
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            you still sounded like a jerk even when trying to be nice.

                            Next time just try, "welcome to campus." That might work.
                            He also might try not broadcasting his efforts to be hospitable. Makes him look like a phony. Those of us who are nice all the time don't see it as anything special, certainly not worth mentioning on the board.

                            Comment

                            • byu71
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22070

                              #1874
                              Everything went great for my grandson and his daughter. They had tickets on the 43 yard line about 34 rows up.

                              When they first arrived they were met with some lady challenging his right to be there. He asked if she would like to see the tickets and if you can believe it her response was, "what does that prove".

                              I asked if she was a pain in the butt the whole game. He said no and that the folks around him were great. No problems going in and out of the stadium and they were decked out in BYU gear.

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #1875
                                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                He also might try not broadcasting his efforts to be hospitable. Makes him look like a phony. Those of us who are nice all the time don't see it as anything special, certainly not worth mentioning on the board.
                                My sons and I walked all over, being kind to everyone we saw. For example, I walked up to a visitor that was minding his own business and made an a-hole comment to him. lol. we all had a good laugh at that one. After the game, we we acted like freaks, whispering to BYU fans as they exited the stadium.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...