U vs. Y '12

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SCcoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 7625

    #1906
    For the second year in a row the BYU Utah game made the ESPN Monday Night Football segment "come on man."

    Comment

    • Lost Student
      BAND!
      • Nov 2008
      • 4324

      #1907
      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      Did everybody just miss the part where SU said BYU was a pretty good D-1 team? That's akin to anybody else saying that we should be ranked in the top 10.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

      Comment

      • Pelado
        Bald not naked
        • Sep 2010
        • 21143

        #1908
        So the camera shots of the stands I saw showed a lot of red, and not much blue. How many BYU fans were at the game?
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #1909
          Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          So the camera shots of the stands I saw showed a lot of red, and not much blue. How many BYU fans were at the game?
          From my seats, it didn't look like there was nearly as much blue in the stands as in years past. There's usually a larger contingent in the visitor section and fewer scattered Y fans about the stadium. I think someone mentioned in this thread that perhaps there were just fewer that wore blue, but the Y fans were not as loud as they have been in the past, which makes me believe that they stayed away this year.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • Omaha 680
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2011
            • 11182

            #1910
            Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            So the camera shots of the stands I saw showed a lot of red, and not much blue. How many BYU fans were at the game?
            I'm horrible estimating numbers, but it was definitely more sparse than past years. We had the usual visitors sections in the SW corner, and a small pocket in the NW corner. But I didn't see much else. And we weren't very loud. In 2006 we were much louder. Even in 2008. This was more like 2004.

            I wonder if people really are afraid to go to RES for the rivalry game because of all the stories. That's a shame if true. I love going to games on the hill. I'm with DDD, if you're respectful and don't look for trouble, you won't get any. There's always a couple douches who mouth off something they think is clever, but it's easy to ignore.

            Comment

            • DU Ute
              RIP CUF
              • Dec 2008
              • 7393

              #1911
              Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              I'm horrible estimating numbers, but it was definitely more sparse than past years. We had the usual visitors sections in the SW corner, and a small pocket in the NW corner. But I didn't see much else. And we weren't very loud. In 2006 we were much louder. Even in 2008. This was more like 2004.

              I wonder if people really are afraid to go to RES for the rivalry game because of all the stories. That's a shame if true. I love going to games on the hill. I'm with DDD, if you're respectful and don't look for trouble, you won't get any. There's always a couple douches who mouth off something they think is clever, but it's easy to ignore.
              I think it is more a case of most of the seats being filled by season ticket holders, there just aren't as many tickets that are easy to come by.
              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

              Comment

              • Coach McGuirk
                1
                • Nov 2008
                • 12109

                #1912
                From Forde Yard Dash,

                FIELD-STORMING FIASCOES
                BYU QB Riley Nelson walks away from Utah fans who prematurely rushed the field with 1 second left. (AP)Speaking of the kicking game: It took two missed field goals and three field stormings for Utah (9) to beat BYU (10) on Saturday night in the annual Holy War game. Combine sketchy officiating with some bizarre circumstances with an overly eager Utes student section and the result was chaos.
                The game was thought to be over the first time when a pass by BYU's Riley Nelson fell incomplete and the Utah students swarmed. Then a second was put back on the clock.
                It was thought to be over a second time when BYU's subsequent field-goal attempt to tie was blocked and the Utah students swarmed. Then the Utes were flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct because of the field storming.
                It finally was over a third time when Riley Stephenson's kick doinked off the upright and Utah won, 24-21. The students swarmed a third and final time. This one for real.
                also,

                Given the history of field-storming misfires, The Dash feels compelled to dish out some rules for doing it right:
                • Wait until the game is actually over. This would seem elementary, but the above examples make clear that it's a harder concept to master than you'd expect.
                • Do not taunt the losers. Anyone who comes onto the field and talks noise at a visiting player – who is probably much larger, faster, stronger, more sober and infinitely more angry – is an idiot. Stoic BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall was approached by one such idiot Saturday night, and Mendenhall nearly went out of character and went after the kid. A flying form tackle would be understandable in that circumstance.

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #1913
                  Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  From Forde Yard Dash
                  For a different take, see the last item here, from Sports Illustrated:

                  A Thousand Points of Spite: Week 3 Awards
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • DU Ute
                    RIP CUF
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 7393

                    #1914
                    Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                    From Forde Yard Dash,



                    also,
                    Well said.
                    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                    Comment

                    • Coach McGuirk
                      1
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12109

                      #1915
                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      For a different take, see the last item here, from Sports Illustrated:

                      A Thousand Points of Spite: Week 3 Awards
                      wait, what?

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69720

                        #1916
                        Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                        For a different take, see the last item here, from Sports Illustrated:

                        A Thousand Points of Spite: Week 3 Awards
                        Oh sweet Jesus. Is LA Ute going to the defend the Ute fans rushing the field? I would call this irony, but I know better now.

                        DDD, is it OK to call this chutzpah? Because it seems like the textbook definition.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                          Time to camp
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26082

                          #1917
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          DDD, is it OK to call this chutzpah?
                          Triplet is Hebrew?
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69720

                            #1918
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            And for the record, there are few places on earth more glorious than Lake Powell in September. Crowds are gone. Temps are down. FUNKY FRIDAY ALREADY!
                            In case anyone cares, the trip was fantastic. Perfect weather and yesterday may have been the best day of fishing in my life.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Top Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • May 2010
                              • 2194

                              #1919
                              Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                              I think it is more a case of most of the seats being filled by season ticket holders, there just aren't as many tickets that are easy to come by.
                              Not only that, but as recently as 2010, season tickets were cheap enough that many BYU fans would buy them just for the Utah game. That's not the case anymore. I have no hard numbers to support this, but I'd be willing to guess that took away at least 1,000 BYU fans from coming to the Utah game.

                              Comment

                              • LA Ute
                                Receiver of Memory
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19512

                                #1920
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Oh sweet Jesus. Is LA Ute going to the defend the Ute fans rushing the field? I would call this irony, but I know better now.

                                DDD, is it OK to call this chutzpah? Because it seems like the textbook definition.
                                You need to read the thread, amigo! I have already said that I think fans should stay off the field, period, if not completely, at least until the opposing team has left the field. I think the U. needs to do something to keep the MUSS (bless them!) off the field at least to that extent. I also think it is low-class (and really pretty stupid) to taunt the losing players after winning. I just added the SI stuff to show that there are views all over the place on this issue.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden


                                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                Comment

                                Working...