U vs. Y '12

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12371

    #361
    Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
    That was a fantastic year.


    Agreed.

    Comment

    • kccougar
      9262
      • Nov 2008
      • 7020

      #362
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      I wonder why you started with last year. So arbitrary.
      You're right. We should compare current coaches since they both started in 2005. BYU 63%. Utah 50%
      Last edited by kccougar; 09-11-2012, 10:16 AM.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #363
        Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
        I'd like to take a moment to thank those posters (hint: not Triple) who are contributing substantive insight into questions of x's, o's, personnel, and matchups.

        JiC, tip of the cap - ToneLoc - you as well.
        Ox, I'm afraid you've mistaken this deeply philiosophical thread for one that is actually about football and what might happen Saturday night. We do appreciate the occasional football post, though - make no mistake about that.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #364
          Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
          I know of one Pac-12 "bottom feeder" that handed you a six-touchdown loss last year.
          Jake Heaps. BYU sucked. Congrats.

          When BYU sucks I'm the first to admit it and it pisses me off.

          When the utes suck, so many of you try to defend or justify it and then calm yourselves with the fact that you're in the PAC. Or at least that's how it seems. I wonder of Colorado, Oregon State and Wazzu fans do the same.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • Top Ute
            Junior Member
            • May 2010
            • 2194

            #365
            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            Jake Heaps. BYU sucked. Congrats.

            When BYU sucks I'm the first to admit it and it pisses me off.

            When the utes suck, so many of you try to defend or justify it and then calm yourselves with the fact that you're in the PAC. Or at least that's how it seems. I wonder of Colorado, Oregon State and Wazzu fans do the same.
            That small parade of people insisting the honeymoon period in the Pac-12 is over? I'm leading it.

            As far as the Utes sucking, it's been a long time since we've had a season-long resume that was truly sucky. And I don't think anyone's trying to say we were better than we were against Utah State (or Cal, or Colorado) -- maybe a few people, but that's a broad brush to say "so many of you."

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #366
              Originally posted by Tone Loc View Post
              Even non-fans are putting money on the cougars. The line went from utah-1 to utah +5. That equals a prime money making opportunity for you smart fans.
              What book had Utah favored? The only movement I've seen is, Utah from +3.5 to +4.0

              Comment

              • LA Ute
                Receiver of Memory
                • Nov 2008
                • 19512

                #367
                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Jake Heaps. BYU sucked. Congrats.

                When BYU sucks I'm the first to admit it and it pisses me off.

                When the utes suck, so many of you try to defend or justify it and then calm yourselves with the fact that you're in the PAC. Or at least that's how it seems. I wonder of Colorado, Oregon State and Wazzu fans do the same.
                We did that against Utah State. Also last season against Cal. Both games were very embarrassing. Same is true of the last two games with TCU. You'll have a hard time finding anyone on this board who says otherwise.

                EDIT: I forgot the Colorado game.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden


                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69735

                  #368
                  Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  Jake Heaps. BYU sucked. Congrats.

                  When BYU sucks I'm the first to admit it and it pisses me off.

                  When the utes suck, so many of you try to defend or justify it and then calm yourselves with the fact that you're in the PAC. Or at least that's how it seems. I wonder of Colorado, Oregon State and Wazzu fans do the same.
                  What's wrong with that? Seems like a pretty rational response to me.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Art Vandelay
                    Striving for mediocrity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10516

                    #369
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    We did that against Utah State. Also last season against Cal. Both games were very embarrassing. Same is true of the last two games with TCU. You'll have a hard time finding anyone on this board who says otherwise.

                    EDIT: I forgot the Colorado game.
                    And the Wazzu game (though weather played a big part in that). Utah was lucky to walk away from that with a win.

                    Comment

                    • smokymountainrain
                      Impressive Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22593

                      #370
                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      We did that against Utah State. Also last season against Cal. Both games were very embarrassing. Same is true of the last two games with TCU. You'll have a hard time finding anyone on this board who says otherwise.

                      EDIT: I forgot the Colorado game.
                      You guys were 4-5 in the PAC last year. The entire season was an embarrassment. After that kind of season, the last thing I'd be doing is bringing up a blowout win against a team QB'd by Jake Heaps.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

                      Comment

                      • Top Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 2194

                        #371
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        NCAA rules to prevent poaching of missionaries that are named after active players: BYU 1, Utah 0

                        Comment

                        • kccougar
                          9262
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7020

                          #372
                          Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                          That small parade of people insisting the honeymoon period in the Pac-12 is over? I'm leading it.

                          As far as the Utes sucking, it's been a long time since we've had a season-long resume that was truly sucky. And I don't think anyone's trying to say we were better than we were against Utah State (or Cal, or Colorado) -- maybe a few people, but that's a broad brush to say "so many of you."
                          Did someone say Parade?

                          It's been an award-winning year for Utah football, with the exception of, well, the football.

                          The university's Alumni Association sponsored a float in the Provo (yes, Provo) July 4 parade and won first place. Then came the Mayor's Award in the Days of '47 Parade. The latest was the Sweepstakes Award in the Brigham City Peach Days Parade.

                          The latter must have seemed a good idea, right up until Utah State shocked the Utes on Friday. Then on Saturday morning, parade organizers discovered the float's transmission had failed. So compounding the loss was the fact Utah's float had to be towed down the parade route by a large Aggie-blue-colored truck.

                          Moral to the story: Don't plan your parades too far in advance.
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #373
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            What's wrong with that? Seems like a pretty rational response to me.
                            Nothing, if you have lowered expectations for your team. If USC were to go 4-5 in the conference, I doubt they would be consoling themselves with the fact that they are in the PAC. I could be wrong.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #374
                              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              You guys were 4-5 in the PAC last year. The entire season was an embarrassment. After that kind of season, the last thing I'd be doing is bringing up a blowout win against a team QB'd by Jake Heaps.
                              I respectfully and lovingly disagree. What's that odor, anyway? Smells like steer manure....

                              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              And the Wazzu game (though weather played a big part in that). Utah was lucky to walk away from that with a win.
                              Well, now, if we are going to start counting games that a team is lucky to walk away from with a win as embarrassments, then we are going to have a lot of fun talking about a lot of BYU wins. But I shall forbear. As always, I say all of this with love.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • MartyFunkhouser
                                Disciple of RNGesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18759

                                #375
                                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                Jake Heaps. BYU sucked. Congrats.

                                When BYU sucks I'm the first to admit it and it pisses me off.

                                When the utes suck, so many of you try to defend or justify it and then calm yourselves with the fact that you're in the PAC. Or at least that's how it seems. I wonder of Colorado, Oregon State and Wazzu fans do the same.
                                I'm willing to admit that Utah sucks this year and it is going to be a long season. That doesn't mean that BYU is good though and I'm not convinced at all that BYU has a good team this year.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

                                Comment

                                Working...