2012 BYU Football Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #691
    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
    Has Boise State ever had a special season, in your opinion?
    Gee, hasn't BSU gone undefeated a couple of times.

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #692
      Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      I think most people in their right mind would make that claim. Maybe I'm just not in my right mind in the first place?

      I can't imagine many people in their right mind trying to argue that 11-1 wasn't a special year. Sheesh. What a standard.
      Maybe I am just not giving enough credti to Idaho, Idaho St. Weber St., San Jose St and New Mexico St. Just don't know those teams that well and maybe this season isn't like playing 7 games and 5 scrimmages.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #693
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Maybe I am just not giving enough credti to Idaho, Idaho St. Weber St., San Jose St and New Mexico St. Just don't know those teams that well and maybe this season isn't like playing 7 games and 5 scrimmages.
        I think I see what you are saying in general. My confusion stems from your apparent desire to give teams like UNLV, New Mexico, and Wyoming so much football credit. Those games sucked, they were dogs, and they were always the least appealing home games on the schedule. I don't really see much different between Idaho State football and UNLV football. That is just my own opinion there.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #694
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I think I see what you are saying in general. My confusion stems from your apparent desire to give teams like UNLV, New Mexico, and Wyoming so much football credit. Those games sucked, they were dogs, and they were always the least appealing home games on the schedule. I don't really see much different between Idaho State football and UNLV football. That is just my own opinion there.
          I could be completely wrong, but I think UNLV has played with some BCS type teams. I think they beat a ranked PAC10 team and dropped Utah one year. I think they have even beaten us.

          This is where I could be wrong, has Idaho, Idaho St, San Jose St. or New Mexico St. ever in the last 20 years beaten anybody? Again I could be wrong.

          Comment

          • Jacob
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 6801

            #695
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            I could be completely wrong, but I think UNLV has played with some BCS type teams. I think they beat a ranked PAC10 team and dropped Utah one year. I think they have even beaten us.

            This is where I could be wrong, has Idaho, Idaho St, San Jose St. or New Mexico St. ever in the last 20 years beaten anybody? Again I could be wrong.
            UNLV beat Utan in 2007, One of only 2 games they won that year. The other? Against USU. So, UNLV is higher quality because Utah once laid an egg and they had a couple of close losses over the years?
            Yes, they also beat a ranked ASU once, and then proceeded to lose to everyone in the MWC.

            But you are right. ISU is even worse than UNLV. Probably by a significant margin.

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #696
              Originally posted by Jacob View Post
              UNLV beat Utan in 2007, One of only 2 games they won that year. The other? Against USU. So, UNLV is higher quality because Utah once laid an egg and they had a couple of close losses over the years?
              Yes, they also beat a ranked ASU once, and then proceeded to lose to everyone in the MWC.

              But you are right. ISU is even worse than UNLV. Probably by a significant margin.
              We could ask Indy, year in and year out BYU against

              UNLV, UNM, Wyoming, CSU, Air Force, what are the odds of beating them all.

              vs playing

              Idaho St. Idaho, New Mexico St. San Jose St. Weber ST. and the odds of beating them all.

              I would think the odds would be much, much higher with the second group, but I will defer to Indy's opinion.


              However, I am justifying my reasoning for what is special, not knocking someone elses idea of special. It is not a black and white thing.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #697
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                I could be completely wrong, but I think UNLV has played with some BCS type teams. I think they beat a ranked PAC10 team and dropped Utah one year. I think they have even beaten us.

                This is where I could be wrong, has Idaho, Idaho St, San Jose St. or New Mexico St. ever in the last 20 years beaten anybody? Again I could be wrong.
                UNLV has beaten teams, yes, and it has played with some BCS teams, yes. It is still an awful football program and the games rarely, if ever, generate interest when they come to Provo. While I would rank a New Mexico home game higher than a New Mexico State home game, they are both awful games.

                I don't get your criteria, I guess. If a team has beaten BYU in the past, then it will be an interesting game in the future?

                to each his own. My own personal opinion is that the majority of the old conference games weren't really good, so what we have now is just different crap for the most part. Home games against Oregon State, Washington State and Hawaii...that is fine by me. Next season's home slate will be good, I think.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #698
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Next season's home slate will be good, I think.
                  Agreed and I think the total schedule is good enough to give the team a shot at a special year, according to my opinion which is just an opinion.

                  Comment

                  • kimchicoug
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 153

                    #699
                    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    This is where I could be wrong, has Idaho, Idaho St, San Jose St. or New Mexico St. ever in the last 20 years beaten anybody? Again I could be wrong.
                    Somebody is denigrating the great University of Idaho and needs help realizing how grateful we should be for this wonderful institution and athletic program.

                    Sure, they have had only one winning season since making the jump to big boy football (and who doesn't hold dear to their hard that magical 2009 season?), but the true value of Idaho is producing some loony coaches. We need to thank the Vandals for Tom Cable, John L. Smith, and Dennis Erickson. And how would I get to work in the morning or sleep at night without the ramblings of Mark Schlereth?

                    So, before you start mucking up the University of Idaho and throwing them in with SJSU, Idaho St., and NMSU, try to show some gratitude for one of the biggest exporters of bad footballing in the nation. Coaches don't go there to die, they go there to infect other programs.

                    I think we all need to show a little more V pride: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyxS8fRaFQ"]Idaho Vandals 2011 Football - "V" Pride - YouTube[/nomedia]

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #700
                      1984 home schedule:

                      Baylor (5-6-0)
                      Tulsa (6-5-0)
                      Wyoming (6-6-0)
                      UTEP (2-9-0)
                      SDSU (4-7-1)
                      USU (1-10-0)

                      Total W-L-T of home opposition = 24-43-1

                      And that #3 Pitt team? They finished 3-7-1. At 8-4, Air Force had the best W-L record of any 1984 opponent.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #701
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        1984 home schedule:

                        Baylor (5-6-0)
                        Tulsa (6-5-0)
                        Wyoming (6-6-0)
                        UTEP (2-9-0)
                        SDSU (4-7-1)
                        USU (1-10-0)

                        Total W-L-T of home opposition = 24-43-1

                        And that #3 Pitt team? They finished 3-7-1. At 8-4, Air Force had the best W-L record of any 1984 opponent.
                        Anytime you go undefeated, I call it special. If you don't, that is OK.

                        How about all those seasons since 2000 I mentioned? Do you disagree if they had won 11 regular season games those seasons, that they would have been special seasons?

                        Comment

                        • Eddie
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 8098

                          #702
                          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          I could be completely wrong, but I think UNLV has played with some BCS type teams. I think they beat a ranked PAC10 team and dropped Utah one year. I think they have even beaten us.

                          This is where I could be wrong, has Idaho, Idaho St, San Jose St. or New Mexico St. ever in the last 20 years beaten anybody? Again I could be wrong.
                          Maybe this is just piling on, but you make it sound like if BYU was scheduling Appalachian State they would be better off than if they schedule old WAC teams. I guess USU "played with" Auburn last year too - probably should've won. Does that make them a good get for the schedule (I actually like scheduling USU due to the in-state mini-rivalry, but that is a different matter.)

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #703
                            Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            Maybe this is just piling on, but you make it sound like if BYU was scheduling Appalachian State they would be better off than if they schedule old WAC teams. I guess USU "played with" Auburn last year too - probably should've won. Does that make them a good get for the schedule (I actually like scheduling USU due to the in-state mini-rivalry, but that is a different matter.)
                            I don't think I mentioned USU in any of my posts.

                            There is a difference in the bottom dweller WAC teams and Appalachian St. The Wac teams are closer to us geographically.

                            Comment

                            • Blueintheface
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 15382

                              #704
                              Comparing subjective terms like "special" is dumb. Whether it's Notre Dame or Idaho St, just win baby.
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #705
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                I don't think I mentioned USU in any of my posts.

                                There is a difference in the bottom dweller WAC teams and Appalachian St. The Wac teams are closer to us geographically.
                                Appalachian State has scheduled some BCS teams and beaten them in the very recent past. Special game.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...