2012 BYU Football Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Goatnapper'96
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10924

    #676
    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    My own criteria.

    Very good season. Win all home games, win two of tough four away games.

    Excellent season. 3 of 4 tough away games.

    Special season, undefeated. There just aren't enough really good opponents on the schedule to call a 11-1 season special. I need to relook at 2013, but if I remember the schedule right, 11-1 could be called special.

    It is hard to call a season special when at least half the teams you play are in the "dog" category.
    I will give you special. A special season is any season of any sport where this venue has more posts dedicated to that team and the season instead of six pages waxing eloquent about a group of pussies that are either facilitating conversation and healing wounds between the orthodox and apostate LDS communities or are emboldening the thousands, yea millions, of silent apostates to stand up to the Corporation of the LDS Church.

    ISRAEL, ISRAEL GOD IS CALLING!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #677
      Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      I will give you special. A special season is any season of any sport where this venue has more posts dedicated to that team and the season instead of six pages waxing eloquent about a group of pussies that are either facilitating conversation and healing wounds between the orthodox and apostate LDS communities or are emboldening the thousands, yea millions, of silent apostates to stand up to the Corporation of the LDS Church.

      ISRAEL, ISRAEL GOD IS CALLING!
      haha
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #678
        Based on the definitions provided herein, this team won't be special. It probably won't event be good.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #679
          Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          Wouldn't that eliminate every year BYU has ever played from being special?
          When I said there aren't enough good teams on the schedule to make it special, I was talking about currently.

          I am not going to get into this bull shit argument with Indy or you if you are an Indy subscriber, that playing San Jose St., New Mexico St., Idaho, Idaho St, Weber St. all in the same year is no different than the old WAC and MWC opponents.

          '96, by my criteria would be a very special year. I would have to go back and look at other 1 loss seasons to see how I feel about them.

          It was hard and now will even be harder for BYU to have what I would define as a special year.

          Would anyone in their right mind if Utah and BYU both go 11-1 this year, claim both had special years?


          Edit: Went back and looked at 2001. I would call the regular season a special season. Was that the year Staley won the Doak Walker award?
          Last edited by byu71; 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM.

          Comment

          • Maximus
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 6023

            #680
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            When I said there aren't enough good teams on the schedule to make it special, I was talking about currently.

            I am not going to get into this bull shit argument with Indy or you if you are an Indy subscriber, that playing San Jose St., New Mexico St., Idaho, Idaho St, Weber St. all in the same year is no different than the old WAC and MWC opponents.

            '96, by my criteria would be a very special year. I would have to go back and look at other 1 loss seasons to see how I feel about them.

            It was hard and now will even be harder for BYU to have what I would define as a special year.

            Would anyone in their right mind if Utah and BYU both go 11-1 this year, claim both had special years?
            11-1 would make this year special for either team. BYU plays enough good teams to make 1 loss a great season. At ND, GT, BSU, Utah, WSU, OSU at home.

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #681
              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
              11-1 would make this year special for either team. BYU plays enough good teams to make 1 loss a great season. At ND, GT, BSU, Utah, WSU, OSU at home.
              Well then you need to have varying degree's of special, IMHO. To compare a 11-1 BYU with an 11-1 Utah this year and call it equivalent is, well I am not going to stoop to being a jerk.
              Last edited by byu71; 07-02-2012, 12:11 PM.

              Comment

              • Indy Coug
                Heartless Bastard
                • Dec 2008
                • 18747

                #682
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                Edit: Went back and looked at 2001. I would call the regular season a special season. Was that the year Staley won the Doak Walker award?
                Yes, Staley won it that year. The 1984 nat'l champ team went against the 2nd worst collective W-L-T SOS of any national champion in NCAA history. Only 1980 Clemson was worse.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                Comment

                • Goatnapper'96
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10924

                  #683
                  Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  When I said there aren't enough good teams on the schedule to make it special, I was talking about currently.

                  I am not going to get into this bull shit argument with Indy or you if you are an Indy subscriber, that playing San Jose St., New Mexico St., Idaho, Idaho St, Weber St. all in the same year is no different than the old WAC and MWC opponents.

                  '96, by my criteria would be a very special year. I would have to go back and look at other 1 loss seasons to see how I feel about them.

                  It was hard and now will even be harder for BYU to have what I would define as a special year.

                  Would anyone in their right mind if Utah and BYU both go 11-1 this year, claim both had special years?


                  Edit: Went back and looked at 2001. I would call the regular season a special season. Was that the year Staley won the Doak Walker award?
                  I thought '96 was special. I also think you are special. Now with your scenario between Utah and BYU who won the BYU-Utah game? I need more info before offering my judgement.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

                  I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

                  Comment

                  • Maximus
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 6023

                    #684
                    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    When then you need to have varying degree's of special, IMHO. To compare a 11-1 BYU with an 11-1 Utah this year and call it equivalent is, well I am not going to stoop to being a jerk.
                    Well of course there are varying degrees of special.

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #685
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      Yes, Staley won it that year. The 1984 nat'l champ team went against the 2nd worst collective W-L-T SOS of any national champion in NCAA history. Only 1980 Clemson was worse.
                      I think they were undefeated and won the national championship. Started off by beating a ranked Pitt. Hell, I am rambling. What is your point?

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #686
                        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        I thought '96 was special. I also think you are special. Now with your scenario between Utah and BYU who won the BYU-Utah game? I need more info before offering my judgement.


                        OK, let's change it to 10-1 and 1. The Utah game is a tie and under the rules after 10 attempts by each team you can call it a tie if one team wants to. Utah of course does want to call it a tie because the less the play us the better for those chickens.

                        Comment

                        • Jacob
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 6801

                          #687
                          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          What is the "special" threshold?
                          Since we seem to win 10 games all the time, a 10-win season is, by definition, not special. I'm not saying that I wouldn't be please with a 10-2 regular season. I would be. But the list of teams we were discussing , Utah, ND, GT, and BSU are good teams, but not great, IMO. It will be interesting to see how BSU does. So, to answer your question, going 3-1 in those games would probably qualify as special. But who cares about the semantics. 1-3 would be disappointing, even if doing better is unlikely. 2-2 would be a good result. 3-1 would be great, and 4-0 would be special, amazing, spectacular. Whatever you like.

                          Comment

                          • Jacob
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 6801

                            #688
                            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Would anyone in their right mind if Utah and BYU both go 11-1 this year, claim both had special years?
                            I think most people in their right mind would make that claim. Maybe I'm just not in my right mind in the first place?

                            I can't imagine many people in their right mind trying to argue that 11-1 wasn't a special year. Sheesh. What a standard.

                            Comment

                            • byu71
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22070

                              #689
                              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              Of course it has.
                              I went back and looked. I think you and napper have your heads in a bad place on this one.

                              Potential special seasons. 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010.

                              Of course again if you are going to compare playing Idaho, Idaho St. San Jose St. New Mexico St. Weber St., with playing Colorado St. Wyoming, Air Force, San Diego St., New Mexico and TCU, then we don't have a basis to discuss this from.

                              Comment

                              • Jacob
                                Junior Member
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 6801

                                #690
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                I went back and looked. I think you and napper have your heads in a bad place on this one.

                                Potential special seasons. 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010.

                                Of course again if you are going to compare playing Idaho, Idaho St. San Jose St. New Mexico St. Weber St., with playing Colorado St. Wyoming, Air Force, San Diego St., New Mexico and TCU, then we don't have a basis to discuss this from.
                                Has Boise State ever had a special season, in your opinion?

                                Comment

                                Working...