The Utah 2011 Football Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Blueintheface
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 15382

    #211
    Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
    i have been curious about this issue since i watched him in the Rugby 7's tournament last year. He looks like a phenomenal athlete, and a very powerful runner. If he can adjust to carrying the ball wearing all of the gear, i don't see why he couldn't be a dominant RB with his size and speed. It seems like he's kind of flown under the radar with the Utes.

    How many years of eligibility does he have? Hopefully he at least has 3, although i would imagine having played rugby already, he might have burned a year or two already.
    He's a sophomore. I only know this because I watched the Channel 2 sports show Sunday night. He's a very engaging as well as hairy individual. Humble too. When he was told by an overzealous reporter looking to score points that he had been the leading rusher on the day and that it wasn't even close he acted surprised by that.

    In addition to what BGR mentioned, on this morning's radio show Gunther also commented that he thought based on missed gap assignments by both Langi and rugby they will be backups to the JC kid. (please forgive me for omitting names as I have a hard enough time remembering BYU player names)
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

    Comment

    • BoylenOver
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 9146

      #212


      Pretty great. That will be sewn into the turf in time for the Spring Game.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

      Comment

      • Top Ute
        Junior Member
        • May 2010
        • 2194

        #213
        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
        He's a sophomore. I only know this because I watched the Channel 2 sports show Sunday night. He's a very engaging as well as hairy individual. Humble too. When he was told by an overzealous reporter looking to score points that he had been the leading rusher on the day and that it wasn't even close he acted surprised by that.

        In addition to what BGR mentioned, on this morning's radio show Gunther also commented that he thought based on missed gap assignments by both Langi and rugby they will be backups to the JC kid. (please forgive me for omitting names as I have a hard enough time remembering BYU player names)
        That would be John White IV. Following Eddie Wide III, who graduated. We've got the market cornered on backs who carry Roman numerals in their name.

        Comment

        • wally
          <><><><><><><><>
          • Jun 2010
          • 4137

          #214
          Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
          That would be John White IV. Following Eddie Wide III, who graduated. We've got the market cornered on backs who carry Roman numerals in their name.
          Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
          Gunther was saying on his show today that he didn't take much from watching Palamo because in his words it wasn't the "1s vs. the 1s". He made a point to say it didn't mean Palamo couldn't be good, but just that he wasn't buying it after watching the scrimmage as much as many other people apparently did.
          I heard that yesterday also, answering partially answering the question I had earlier.

          Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
          i have been curious about this issue since i watched him in the Rugby 7's tournament last year. He looks like a phenomenal athlete, and a very powerful runner. If he can adjust to carrying the ball wearing all of the gear, i don't see why he couldn't be a dominant RB with his size and speed. It seems like he's kind of flown under the radar with the Utes.

          How many years of eligibility does he have? Hopefully he at least has 3, although i would imagine having played rugby already, he might have burned a year or two already.
          Not only do ruggers who want to turn into footballers have to adjust to pads and a smaller, harder ball, but they have to change to a different running style. Falling forward during tackle instead of looking to dish the ball to support, moving the pile, running through tackles, etc., will be different.

          Also, he may have to learn to block on select plays and run pass routes. These don't exist in rugby.

          Comment

          • Blueintheface
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 15382

            #215
            Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post


            Pretty great. That will be sewn into the turf in time for the Spring Game.
            We need a green-with-envy emoticon.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

            Comment

            • OrangeUte
              Max Hall hates me.
              • Nov 2008
              • 2294

              #216
              Originally posted by wally View Post
              I heard that yesterday also, answering partially answering the question I had earlier.



              Not only do ruggers who want to turn into footballers have to adjust to pads and a smaller, harder ball, but they have to change to a different running style. Falling forward during tackle instead of looking to dish the ball to support, moving the pile, running through tackles, etc., will be different.

              Also, he may have to learn to block on select plays and run pass routes. These don't exist in rugby.
              thanks for this post. i have been curious about thretton since i saw him last year and how his conversion would be.

              Have there been any ruggers that have successfully made the transition that you are aware of? especially at RB.

              as an aside, when i was on my mission i saw the springboks play the all-blacks in 1992 at Ellis Park in Johannesburg. that was the single most amazing athletic event i have ever been to. one of the missionaries in my district was an afrikaaner who had moved to perth australia as a teenager and was absolutely obsessed with rugby. i wish i would have learned more about the game from him, and i wish some of those bigger rugby matches would make it on network television more often.

              Comment

              • wally
                <><><><><><><><>
                • Jun 2010
                • 4137

                #217
                Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
                thanks for this post. i have been curious about thretton since i saw him last year and how his conversion would be.

                Have there been any ruggers that have successfully made the transition that you are aware of? especially at RB.

                as an aside, when i was on my mission i saw the springboks play the all-blacks in 1992 at Ellis Park in Johannesburg. that was the single most amazing athletic event i have ever been to. one of the missionaries in my district was an afrikaaner who had moved to perth australia as a teenager and was absolutely obsessed with rugby. i wish i would have learned more about the game from him, and i wish some of those bigger rugby matches would make it on network television more often.
                Tangent warning:

                The Rugby world cup is scheduled for this fall (Sep. 2011, IIRC). I will probably start a thread as it draws a bit closer. One of the early concerns is whether the host nation (New Zealand) can not only repair earthquake damaged facilities in Christchurch and elsewhere in time for the tournament, but also make the improvements that were promised when they were awarded the tournament.

                Comment

                • OrangeUte
                  Max Hall hates me.
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2294

                  #218
                  Originally posted by wally View Post
                  Tangent warning:

                  The Rugby world cup is scheduled for this fall (Sep. 2011, IIRC). I will probably start a thread as it draws a bit closer. One of the early concerns is whether the host nation (New Zealand) can not only repair earthquake damaged facilities in Christchurch and elsewhere in time for the tournament, but also make the improvements that were promised when they were awarded the tournament.
                  I spent the better part of my morning reading about the springboks and the tri nations cup, as well as the history behind it. Quite a sport. I'll look forward to much more discussion on this as it draws nearer and try to get myself halfway intelligent about the sport by then to better understand and appreciate it.

                  GO BOKS!!!!!

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #219
                    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post


                    Pretty great. That will be sewn into the turf in time for the Spring Game.
                    This is very cool. It looks pretty official once the logo hits the field. BoylenOver, maybe I should already know this but do you have access to the team, stadium, etc?
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • BoylenOver
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9146

                      #220
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      This is very cool. It looks pretty official once the logo hits the field. BoylenOver, maybe I should already know this but do you have access to the team, stadium, etc?
                      Not any more than your average STH/donor. I've got a friend that's supervises the student equipment managers, but we don't talk much.
                      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                      Comment

                      • hostile
                        lollygagger
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 5736

                        #221
                        Originally posted by wally View Post
                        Tangent warning:

                        The Rugby world cup is scheduled for this fall (Sep. 2011, IIRC). I will probably start a thread as it draws a bit closer. One of the early concerns is whether the host nation (New Zealand) can not only repair earthquake damaged facilities in Christchurch and elsewhere in time for the tournament, but also make the improvements that were promised when they were awarded the tournament.


                        didn't get much traction
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                        "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #222
                          Just renewed season tickets and save for the MSU game, am really looking forward to these home games:

                          Montana State
                          Washington
                          Arizona State
                          Oregon State
                          UCLA
                          Colorado

                          Seeing those names is more than worth the increase in the ticket prices.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • LA Ute
                            Receiver of Memory
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19512

                            #223
                            An interesting Ted Miller piece on Colorado (our old-new, somewhat forced rival) coming into the PAC12. Mill interviews CU's DC, who spent last year at Arizona.

                            "It's going to be an eye-opener," he said. "Colorado had a small taste of it playing one team: Cal-Berkeley, up there [a 52-7 California win]. Everybody saw the final score from that one. The thing that was just striking going into the Pac-10 that I had no idea of, was just how good the league is. Two things hit you between the eyes in the Pac-10 as a defensive coach. No. 1 is how innovated the offensive coaches are, how innovative those schemes are. Coming from the Big 12, I thought in the Big 12 we had all those quarterbacks that one year, with great teams across the board. So I said, 'OK, what else can the Pac-10 show you that I haven't seen in the Big 12?' Believe me: It was a lot. It was an eye-opener because the schemes and the quarterbacks. The second part would be how fast it is. There is a lot of speed in that league."
                            This should give Ute fans hope:

                            While he acknowledges that Oregon and Stanford have separated from the conference a bit -- at least based on 2010 and the 2011 preseason perception -- he sees 10 other teams with legitimate hopes to move up the pecking order.

                            Said Brown, "After the those two, the rest of the league is so balanced. Anybody can beat anybody."
                            Last edited by LA Ute; 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden


                            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #224
                              I didn't see this posted anywhere - a nice piece by Vai Sikahema about the Tongan presence on the Utah football team and his connections to those players.

                              On Tuesday, I went to Rice-Eccles Stadium to speak to the University of Utah football team at Kyle Whittingham's invitation. Kyle and I were teammates at BYU and used to play tennis regularly after his playing career ended and I was still in college. I watched practice and was amazed with the size and agility of some of their players, especially their defensive linemen....

                              I reconnected with Norm Chow, my offensive coordinator at BYU. We had a nice visit. We did not get along when we were at BYU. Norm started me in only two games my entire college career, and only because starter Kelly Smith was injured. I kidded him about that in front of the team. "Don't be too discouraged if Norm doesn't play you — he's a great offensive coordinator, just not very good at evaluating talent." The team roared with laughter. When the laughter died, I continued, "Having said that, when I got to the NFL, I realized that Norm, Lance Reynolds, Mike Holmgren and LaVell Edwards had taught me so well that it was apparent my competition didn't understand defensive coverages and running routes nearly as well as I did. Norm helped me make three NFL teams, which allowed me to make two Pro Bowls. Pay attention to everything Norm Chow teaches you."

                              Kyle invited me to join him for dinner with the team. I drove Kyle from the stadium to their offices as he excitedly showed me plans for their new $16 million facility for which they'll break ground in December, weather permitting. At dinner, I sat with Kyle and defensive coordinator Kalani Sitaki. I think he'll be the first Tongan Division I head coach someday. He's bright, passionate, articulate and his players respect and love him. Kalani is still young enough and in good enough shape that I sensed some may even fear him. In football, that's not a bad thing.

                              I'm past warming up to the Utes. I'm now a fan. Still a Cougar. But love my boys on The Hill. Because most of them are relatives.
                              It's a good read.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • OrangeUte
                                Max Hall hates me.
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 2294

                                #225
                                Did anyone attend the scrimmage today?

                                Comment

                                Working...